Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Domain name servers vs A Records - advice please

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a domain purchased from Hooble I want to link to my Adobe Portfolio site. I have previously had a custom domain (different name, different provider) linked to my site and it worked fine. 

I have succesfully removed the previous custom domain, and i'm now trying to add the new domain via the settings in Adobe Portfolio. I am getting the message telling me to chang the "A Records" in my domain provider, and Adobe has provided the IP addresses which need to be changed. However Hooble does not seem to have the facility to change A Records, only nameservers. I have tried copying the IPaddresses Adobe provided to the nameserver input boxes but this didnt work.

My limited understanding is that A Records and Nameservers are basically the same thing, so i'm sure it can be done. Grateful for any help or suggestions please.

Thank you

T.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not the same thing at all.

Nameservers - the computer on the internet which can answer questions about DNS. If you mess with this, the domain is broken.

A record - gives some computer a name.

If a service only allows you to change name server, it may be that you can't edit DNS at all, but expects you to pay some other provider for DNS. However, Hooble state you can change DNS.

You may need to contact Hooble for help with their Simple Domain Manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, bit confused though....

However, Hooble state you can change DNS.

By @Test Screen Name

Yes, Hooble will allow me to change nameserver. It wont (or I cant find) any way to change the A records, which is what Adobe Portfolio has given me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Hooble (I've never heard of them) don't provide an advanced DNS panel with A Records, you may need to switch to another Domain Name Provider like Network Solutions or Namecheap that does.  

The other option is to use another custom domain name with Portfolio and keep your old one where it is.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/articles/216489627-Manually-configuring-a-custom-domain

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy

An update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat...

I contacted Hooble via a support ticket yesterday and they have now given me access to the advanced DNS panel that I can access via my client pages. It doesn't look like this feature is provided as standard, at least not with a domain purchase (perhaps if you have some of their hosting or other services you get this by default, i'm not sure) but they have given it to me at no extra charge. I was able to add the "www" IP addresses to the A Records via the c panel but not the "@" addresses, however it does seem to work still and the domain is succesfully pointing at my portfolio.

For what it's worth, I have never used Hooble before, but the tech support guys responded to my support ticket within an hour or two and it's all sorted now, so kudos to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it all sorted. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines