• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I don't understand the Creative Cloud folder.

Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I have a Creative Cloud folder on my local computer (Sync Folder). It syncs with... the Sync Folder, across my computers.
  • I have a "Creative Cloud" folder within the Creative Cloud app. I cannot find it on my computer anywhere but within the Creative Cloud app, or when I'm prompted to save something to it, or open it.
  • When I save an Illustrator file locally, it's in the Sync folder, as.ai.
  • When I save an Illustrator file to the "Creative Cloud Creative Cloud", it's .aic.
  • If I want to place a file from the "non-local" creative cloud, I can't find it in any menu.

What's the purpose of the Sync Folder?
What's the purpose of the Creative Cloud folder?

After some searching around, I'm at a loss. Can someone please explain how this is set up and supposed to work?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not intuitive and not easy to understand, and there's no short explanation, but

here's basic info:  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/about-cloud-documents.html

then for more info go here and check the beginner (if applicable) tutorials for cc useage and then advanced, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/tutorials-explore.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - saw that, and I have no option to access my cloud documents from withing my fully-updated CC apps. It's not clear if I can only access Cloud documents from within other Cloud documents... Hmm...

Further, just thought I'd point out:
"Cloud documents are cloud-native files that you can open and edit in compatible apps. With cloud documents, your work is always updated, across every device, wherever you are."
I've been doing this for years with the "sync folder". What's the difference?

[edit] I'm currently reading this thread, and so far it doesn't look like anyone understands it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps most importantly, as soon as you lump (and adobe does this themselves) all the cc web files into one category you have a problem.  the cc web files appear (to me) to be an amalgamation of various web-based file storage solutions created by different people/teams with different purposes all related to adobe.  other than that, looking for consistency across the entire gamut of cc web files is confusing and (afaik) fruitless.

with that said, the sync folder is the easiest to understand.  you explicitly add something to your local sync folder (in one of your devices, and it should also be added (ie, synced) to your other devices' sync folders (in some time period).  that works (imo) exactly like you expect.

everything else is sketchy unless you're careful about what you're doing. eg, in photoshop you can save files to adobe's cc file storage and those files will be accessible in other devices' photoshop.  but you can also save photoshop files outside adobe's cc cloud on your local file system.  if that location is in your sync folder, see above paragraph.  if it's outside your sync folder the file is outside of adobe's cc file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've been doing version control manually for years.... Think I'll stick with the sync folder for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome. 

p.s. backup everything critical elsewhere, so you're immune to adobe errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines