• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to install Creative Suite software without using Creative Cloud & Cloud Sync?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated with the Adobe product. Let me explain my goals and reasonings here, and hopefully we can find a solution or at least discuss why I am unable to so I can come to some level of understanding as to why Adobe has set things up the way that they have. Frustrated though I am, I come here with an olive branch in hand, with the intent to understand why things are currently set up the way they are.

I am an avid user of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat & AfterEffects. I am a PC user and I recently refreshed my build and reinstalled windows. I use Google’s cloud solutions for my storage and I do not need the backup and cloud storage offerings that Adobe provides. 

What I want is the freedom as a user to use the products I want to use (photoshop, illustrator, etc), and not use the products I don't want to use.

Upon reinstallation of Creative Cloud, I am immediately confronted with the first of many things that do not give the user a choice. I do not get to choose what drive to install the software on. It goes on your C drive, period, no alternatives. I have seen posts on the Adobe forums complaining about this for years and years. There is no solution to this problem.

It’s admittedly a minor gripe. I can install the rest of the software on other drives, so let’s move on. Once installed I launch Creative Cloud to see that it immediately begins syncing files. Looking into the CC preferences, there used to be an option to disable cloud storage. This is no longer an option. At one point there was an on/off switch but now there is nothing but a pause button. I hit the pause button, and close out of Creative Cloud entirely. There are now 31 processes running in the background of my PC that start with the words "Adobe". I recognize that these background processes have a purpose. I recognize that one (or more) of them is for validation designed to protect Adobe from piracy. Others help one product talk to another, things designed to help me as an end-user. I can appreciate that. However…

This machine is used for a variety of things, not just Adobe products. I do not want Adobe to be using any portion of my resources if I am not using an Adobe product. I don’t want background processes and I don’t want cloud support. I just want to run Photoshop when I want to, and close it and have 100% of my PC available to me when I’m using it for other tasks.

So I ask, is there a way to install Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AfterEffects without using the Creative Cloud software? If not, is there a way to disable Cloud Storage, or to stop adobe software from running in the background when no adobe software is open that won’t degrade the experience when actually using adobe products? If there is no way to achieve what I’m asking that isn’t going to cause more harm than good, can someone explain to me why adobe has designed their software suite in this way? What advantages am I gaining with these background processes that justifies permenently losing some of my computer’s processing power and a 40% longer start-up time?

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify terms, Creative Suite is discontinued & not supported.  For this discussion, I will only refer to Creative Cloud.

You are under no obligation to use Creative Cloud Storage.  I rarely use it myself except when collaborating or syncing files to other devices.  Turn off sync from your Creative Cloud Desktop app by going to Preferences (gear icon) > Syncing > Pause Syncing button. 

You may install apps on other drives but you must leave ample primary disk space for downloading and unpacking files during the installation process.   Go to CC Desktop App Preferences (gear icon) > Apps > Install Location.

Post back if you have more questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing.  You need CC Desktop App to manage & update your CC products.   However, you can Quit with Ctrl + W.  To prevent CC Desktop App from launching on startup, change Preferences (gear icon) > General > Settings.  Also remove it from your Windows startup settings.   I keep CC Desktop App closed 90% of the time without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy. I will pause sync (I already have, but the word ‘pause’ does not imply permanence so I assumed this would not persist. Thank you for clarification.) Will it still send and receive requests when paused? (does Adobe request from my computer an update on that status from time to time, or are requests only initiated from the client side?)

I will also follow your instruction on disabling creative cloud launching at startup via the preferences, and my windows startup settings.

Two questions follow that:

1. If I take these steps to disable Adobe software at startup via the app settings and windows settings, will there be 0 adobe processes running when I boot up my computer? Or are there others that are going to be there regardless of this?
  2. What will I miss out on by doing this? (meaning what are those startup and background processes FOR, and what are my consequences for disabling them?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe tracks Desktop App usage and data related to Machine Learning. You may opt out anytime from your account portal.

https://account.adobe.com/privacy

With Sync turned off, you won't have access to recent Adobe Fonts, CC Libraries, document cloud assets, etc...

Notifications can be disabled from your CC Desktop App Preferences. 

I prefer not to receive automatic app updates except for CC Desktop App itself.  I do app updates/upgrades  manually when I'm ready for them.

I do NOT recommend removing anything that could adversely effect how Creative Cloud performs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines