• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

thank's, Adobe, your un-asked for "update" just lost me an hour's work

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't mind me, I'm just a ornery old typesetter who learned from the hot metal Linotype guys in the mid-1970's. Those guys didn't screw around.

These days I design a couple books a month, InDesign is the best layout software available for my work.

Once AGAIN some nitwit at Adobe Central just decided I needed an update for one of their Fabulous Adobe Something-Or-Other applications I don't use, and managed to bring my work to a standstill until I was able to get my Activity Monitor back and force-quit the stupid thing. You'd think having a MacPro tower with a quad-core processor and 48GB of RAM could fend off, or at least make friends with, these Adobe Stealth Intruders so I can keep working without having another Adobe malware thrown at me, but, noooooo...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Adobe does NOT turn on auto-updates unless your operating system is not retaining the information for some reason.  Try creating a new Mac user profile.

EDIT:  I'm using the latest version of CC desktop app on a paid ALL Apps plan. 

Show Older apps is NOT available to Teams/Enterprise users nor individuals with a trial or single app plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sargentrock2,

Turn off automatic updates from the Preferences in your CC desktop app.    See screenshot below.  Auto-update option is on top.

Preferences in CC Desktop AppPreferences in CC Desktop App

[Moderator moved from The Lounge to Creative Cloud Services.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that, several times, it eventually just turns itself back on again

just turned if off again and made a note on my calender, we'll see how long it takes for Adobe Central to turn it  on again

I have very little faith that Adobe's bizarre blind march into it's own oblivion with their la-de-da treatment of their users will keep Affinity from grabbing the brass ring from the clueless Adobe executives causing all this nonsense.

but thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm... my Mojave screen for the Creative Cloud app is different from what you posted above, it doesn't have that lower screen that says "show older apps". Also, when I went back to the "app", auto update was on again. I turned it back off AGAIN and tiptoed away so not to disturb it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<holds fingers to lips in shushing gesture>

Be vewy, vewy quiet! I'm escaping the app updater!

(Sorry, I just had a sudden image of Elmer Fudd in hunting gear...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does NOT turn on auto-updates unless your operating system is not retaining the information for some reason.  Try creating a new Mac user profile.

EDIT:  I'm using the latest version of CC desktop app on a paid ALL Apps plan. 

Show Older apps is NOT available to Teams/Enterprise users nor individuals with a trial or single app plan.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since my "user profile" goes back to when I bought Illustrator '88 (in 1988) I'm not inclined to flee my little redoubt and start over. The next time my 8-core Mid-2010 Mac Pro w/Mojave freezes because Adobe decided to mess with me and their un-asked-for update downloads... I'll just, once again, figure it out for myself. I learned how to use a Mac in a major NYC typeshop in 1987 when my boss hired an Adobe programmer, who had worked on the NYC harbor interactive project for the U.S. Coast in the early '80s. The young Adobe team, having devised the interactive software for Coast Guard pilots in-training, then used their basic programming base as the foundation of... Postscript. I was the 2nd shift "kid" in that typeshop (Pastore DePamphilis Rampone), and was the only one who put up their hand when the boss said "who wants to learn how to use a Mac?" Yeah, I'm grumpy.  I'm not on a "trial plan", that's for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines