Exit

Tutorials for Duke of Edinburgh Award

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Looking for some advice please 🙂

My son is 14 and has the Creative Cloud subscription which gives him access to all the Adobe apps.  

He is also doing the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award and wants to learn how to use Adobe (particularly Photoshop) as his 'Skill Learned' module.

He has 6 months to complete the module and is willing to put in the work.

I've looked at the tutorials and some of them do look a bit dry.  He is NOT a reader so videos is the way to go.  

He has done a lot of 'tinkering' with various bits of free design software downloaded from the internet and has brought a XP-Pen Artist Pro tablet so is definately keen to learn.

So, I guess my question is, if you had to start from scratch, where would you start?

He has never used his Creative Cloud account btw so I wondered if it would be a good way of recording his learning for the module?  

Ideally, I'd like him to learn, then demonstrate his learning to get the module signed off each week/month.

Reall long post I know - I would be super grateful if you guys could let me know your thoughts?

Oh, one last thing - and this is pushing it a bit - I don't suppose Adobe have assessors already for this type of thing?  His assessor will be his school form tutor as I can't think of anyone else to sign off the work - faily certain she know as much about Adobe as me though!

TOPICS
Collaboration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd recommend googling the tutorials for each module/adobe program and use site:adobe.com to start with the free adobe listed tutorials.

eg, here are the adobe photoshop tutorials, Photoshop tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop (adobe.com)

if you want more opinions, for each module/adobe program of interest, post in that forum.  all of us that have adobe expertise were once beginners and my guess is that a lot of us have strong opinions about what helped us the most when we were starting to gain our expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's good advice.  Thanks John - when we are further down the track I think the photoshop forum will be really handy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suzanne5F97,

To give you some perspective, I've been using Photoshop for 25 years and I've still barely scratched the surface. 

Suffice to say, learning Photoshop is a lot like learning to play a musical instrument.  It takes hundreds even thousands of hours of dedicated study and practice, practice, practice.  I don't expect a 14 year old with short attention span to master everything in 6 months.  I think the best we can hope for is that he'll stick with it long enough to learn tool basics with emphasis on the Pen tool because that's the most challenging tool to master. 

Aaron Nace of PHLEARN has a 10 hour course just on Photoshop Tools (60 videos in all).

https://phlearn.com/tutorial/photoshop-basics-complete-collection/

Also see this 30 min intro video on the Pen Tool by Unmesh Dinda of PiXimperfect

Tell your son Happy Learning and Have Fun!!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Nancy!  That is invaluable advice - I absolutely hadn't realised the depth of knowledge and training that is required to master this.  Comparison to learning a musical instrument is a very good idea and will help me guide his learning in a more realistic way.  Thanks for the video links too.  I'm undecided whether to set him on the course of the adobe tutorials or the Phlearn course - I expect he will decide which is more fun.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines