• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade that Maintains Physical Ownership & Avoids Cloud?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm saying goodbye to my Win7 desktop that has Elements 12 on it. When I upgrade to Win10 I won't be able to take Elements 12 with me. Any recommendations on what to upgrade to?

My biggest concern is that I want to own the product outright and DO NOT want it to interact with or back up to a cloud. I want both the program and my artwork to exist on my computer and my computer only.

I'm happy with the functionality of 12 and not looking for anything too fancy or expensive.

What should I look for, and will anything be available as an upgrade or do I just need to start with a fresh purchase?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Despite the name, Creative Cloud software is NOT cloud based.  But you still need reliable Internet access to interact with online services.

I think PSE 12 will run on Win10 but it's showing its age.  For best results, upgrade to the latest version (2021).

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan -- approx $10/month for 12 months. Includes the very latest versions of these great

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Adobe programs are installed on your desktop, and the files you create with them are also saved there. The IP you create can be synced to the cloud but that can be turned off.

I believe that both Photoshop and Premiere Elements are available through permanent licenses, meaning you don't have to purchase subscriptions to them. Be careful when you purchase to select the correct option from the drop-down list.

Meantime, I am moving this to the Creative Cloud Services forum, which I think is a more appropriate location for your question. You're asking for help with plan selection and the like and this forum is for issues with either downloading or installing your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>My biggest concern is that I want to own the product outright 

Then your only option from Adobe is Photoshop Elements.

>>>DO NOT want it to interact with or back up to a cloud. I want both the program and my artwork to exist on my computer and my computer only.

That is the case with all Adobe Cloud plans which are only Cloud in terms of licensing and managing your membership. You still download, install and run the software on your computer. Storage on the Adobe Cloud is optional. I've never stored anything there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the name, Creative Cloud software is NOT cloud based.  But you still need reliable Internet access to interact with online services.

I think PSE 12 will run on Win10 but it's showing its age.  For best results, upgrade to the latest version (2021).

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan -- approx $10/month for 12 months. Includes the very latest versions of these great products & services:
-- Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
-- Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
-- Lightroom Classic
-- Portfolio website + hosting
-- Spark with premium features
-- Bridge
-- 20 GB of optional cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (31 + apps & services) and Single Apps Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you buy Photoshop or Premiere Elements from Adobe, you get a download

So be sure you copy your download to an external device to have a backup copy... along with a text file containing your serial number

I bought from Amazon to have an install DVD... of course your new computer would have to have a DVD drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And right now, Adobe US is running a special on a bundle of Photoshop and Premiere Elements (you didn't say which you used) for $99. I think that's for the permanent license. Actually, I think both Elements programs are only available through a permanent license, but I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To follow up on what @LinSims said, the sale price in USA for PSE only is $69.99 for a limited time.

All Elements products are on a perpetual license, no subscription needed.  Perpetual is not a forever license.  It simply means you can keep using it for as long as your OS supports it and Adobe can make it available. Eventually, all software reaches its End of Life and no longer be sustained.  But that's true for ALL software.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines