• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Creative Cloud on a lower powered Windows laptop with limited HDD space

Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking for an answer to this for ages and looked at FAQ's by Adobe, but haven't found a clear answer.

I have a Windows 10 64 bit laptop but has limited storage (eMMC) and cpu power.

Ok for email and web and even plays back 4K video OK, but will not work as a full blown high end edit desktop.

Currently using it to transfer 4K Files from SDXC cards onto portable HDD for backup when travelling.

I also want to use it as an  'Adobe Apps mobile type device' but when I load Creative Cloud Desktop it tries to sync all the Work files to the machine locally. This is not required.

Is there anyway to selectively stop specific folders syncing locally ? - and just leave me with Cloud based web apps - eg Premiere Rush and Lightroom. Then have all my work files (for this Laptop)  in the CC cloud?.

Any help appreciated.

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

none of the adobe apps are "web-based".  the complete programs exist on your hard drive, as long as you have space for them, and if you don't have space, they won't install.

ie, syncing is unrelated to the use of the adobe programs.  

correct, syncing is not an important feature for most people that work solo.  if you're part of a collaborative team, syncing might be a critical feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can stop all syncing or allow all syncing.  there's no partial syncing with adobe.

to stop all, open the cc desktop app>click file>preferences>syncing>pause syncing.

syncing will be stopped unless unpaused (following similar steps) even after closing cc desktop, restarting your computer etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

To me this is a weakness in the way Creative Cloud desktop is designed. It is way too restrictive in how a fee paying subscriber can use it. We don't all have budgets for top end Apple Mac laptops.

One thing - if syncing is paused - then this must affect the apps access as well ?. eg If I am using Lightroom which is a web based app then it will not work as it will not have access to the latest edited photos via the web.

I don't think the requirement I have highlighted is unusual, as some lighter PC devices just don't have space for syncing your entire Creative Cloud Work normally done in a powerful desktop setup.

I tried syncing the 'My Work' files to a Micro MemoryUSB card but that doesn't work as it is not seen as part of the Windows environment.

I'd normally put this on the Adobe User Voice Forum but personally my experience is that this is a waste of time. Seems Adobe are more interested in putting resources in obscure features that nobody really needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of the adobe apps are "web-based".  the complete programs exist on your hard drive, as long as you have space for them, and if you don't have space, they won't install.

ie, syncing is unrelated to the use of the adobe programs.  

correct, syncing is not an important feature for most people that work solo.  if you're part of a collaborative team, syncing might be a critical feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say non of the Apps are web based ?.

Seems Lightroom can be run in just a Browser and not just as a Desktop App

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

If I sign in I see my photos and I can click on a photo and bring in edit tools in my browser?

So I have a partial solution.

Just don't Sync any 'My Work Creative Cloud Files' on the less powerful laptop. Pity you can't be selective on that.

For Premiere Rush I still need the Desktop App files apparently as you say – if it runs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all of the cc subscription apps are installed and run locally 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this will work.  Here's why:

1. Cloud storage is a mirror of your computer's Creative Cloud Files folder.  It's NOT a replacement for actual hard drive space like DropBox or Google Drive. 

2. You need sufficient resources to run CC + your OS + all other apps. Your laptop MUST meet or exceed the min-system requirements.  Check each one.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

3. Mobile apps are separate and available only from Google Play and Apple App stores.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-mobile.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the way Adobe describe Lightroom as a 'web based solution' appears in fact not a web based (browser) solution at all.

Reading the Marketing pitch again it says ' Lightroom can be run as a Desktop, Mobile or Web based solution'.

From what you are saying above Adobe omits to point out the whole application is downloaded to your PC before it will work.....am I understanding this correctly ?. ie Code does not run as a Browser based App??

The only bit that is web based is ability to look at your photos - like iCloud from Apple.

I can already run Adobe Photoshop Express on my lightweight PC - so Lightroom is a waste of time.

Since I don't have deep pockets to pay out for new Laptop hardware I will forget Adobe CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see FAQ on Lightroom for Mobile & Apple TV below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/mobile-apps/help/lightroom-mobile-faq.html/

Lightroom for mobile and tablets is a free app that gives you a powerful, yet simple solution for capturing, editing and sharing your photos. And you can upgrade for premium features that give you precise control with seamless access across all your devices – mobile, desktop and web.

Hope that helps clarify.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

read @Nancy OShea 's reply and the answer nay depend on lr classic or lr cc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines