• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best way to use Creative Cloud on a laptop with limited space?

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My office iMac has tons of space, so it's not a problem. But my home laptop isn't that spacious. Asking any long-time users, would it make sense to direct my CC storage to an external hard drive? I can leave the sync turned off until my external drive is safely connected. 

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

You can keep your synced CC Files folder on an external drive.  But you still need ample primary drive space for satisfactory performance.

Which apps do you use?

How much empty HD space do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements to run Creative Cloud + OS + all other apps you use. Check each one.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

• Remove unused files and non-essential programs from your laptop. 
  • Move media/data/work files to externals.
  • Free up as much primary hard disk space as possible.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer meets the minumum system requirement. Do you have an answer to my question? I don't want to sacrifice all my HD space to CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programs do not run from the Cloud, so they must be installed on your computer to run

If you don't have enough space, you must do as Nancy said

USB flash drives are not very expensive... Amazon has a 128 Gig model for about $30 and models up to 2 Terabytes in size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize. My question wasn't clear. I have plenty of room for the apps. What I don't have room for are the synced files from the large hard drive iMac. I would like to store those on an external hard drive and am looking for confirmation that will work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep your synced CC Files folder on an external drive.  But you still need ample primary drive space for satisfactory performance.

Which apps do you use?

How much empty HD space do you have?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That's what I was hoping for. I have plenty of space on my HD. I've been designing magazines for 30 years and those files take up a ton of space. We recently switched from CS 5.5 to CC, so we're having to figure a few things out. Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines