Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC app overheating MacBook Pro

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I dont know if only I have the problem. But the CC app is using 90% of my CPU on the new OS Catalina and is causing overheating my notebook. Does anyone can help?

Thanks.

Swenia

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Johnadowney2, I would encourage you to open a support case so the cause of the excessive processing can be identified. You can begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A busy CPU can make a computer get hot. This is by design, and is not overheating. If a computer overheats, because of a fault, it will automatically shut down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but when the fan is on all the time its really annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. After using a PC for up to 9 hours straight, it will definitely be hot. Adobe might not be the problem here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can shut the Creative Cloud app down and also stop it from starting with the system.

To di that you open the CC DTA preferences by clicking the Gear icon in the upper right of the window.

2019-10-29 23_08_30-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

And shut down the Auto Update option.

And also these options.

2019-10-29 23_11_21-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

And finally when you have done all that shut the CC DTA down.

2019-11-02 10_01_34-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

2019-10-29 08_48_01-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but thats not solving my problem. Im a graphic designer and using the CC apps almost all day. And before upgrading to catalina it wasnt a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking, Writing, about certain Creative Cloud programs like Premiere Pro, Illustrator and the like or the actual Creative Cloud Desktop App?

Please use the actual Names of the programs because when you use the CC App phrase it sounds like you are only talking, Writing, about the Desktop Application.

As to your Mac overheating as stated above if it does actually Overheat the system will shut down to prevent damage to your computers internal parts.

If you are talking about the system getting hot that is a problem with the cooling system on All Mac notebooks. Its been like that for years since Apple traded Function for Form with the sleek case design and the minimal airflow through the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Just Shoot Me's response, Sweniat, you may also want to look into having your MacBook cleaned.  I know I have to remove dust and other particles from my MacBook Pros periodically.  If you find you are unable to clean it sufficiently, then I would recommend taking it into to be serviced.  If you have Applecare, then you can likely just take it to an Apple Store or authorized service center, and they may even be able to clean it while you wait.

Certain protective cases can also cause the MacBook Pro to overheat, so if you do have the MacBook Pro in a case, you may also want to look at removing the case to see if it helps.  If successful, then you may want to look at purchasing a laptop sleeve for protecting the laptop during travel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently upgraded to Catalina. I also had just recently added Adobe Creative Cloud (offered to all employees for home and business use recently) to get the full version of Acrobat for very occasional work with mult-layer pdfs.

Even without any Adobe apps running, when my Mac would sleep the screen, the CPU would spike. When I woke it up, CPU usage would appear to be normal. Finally, I thought to try to disable everything Adobe was running in the background, which turned out to be no fewer than 7 (maybe more?) processes, as identified by the icon in Activity Monitor. I also disabled everything from the settings, and by dropping down to the command line to run this command:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist

After all that, and a reboot, my Mac sleeps quietly. So, it's nothing to do with the mac, or dust (I had recently upgraded the SSD inside, and cleaned out what little accumulation there was)--it's a problem with Adobe's background processes (maybe to do with syncing documents from the cloud.. which I have zero of) that's spiking the CPU, maybe it's something else. But it sure isn't what it's supposed to be doing.

Now, when you're actively working on something, maybe that will spike the CPU and keep it there, making the machine hot. But it shouldn't do that when the apps are idle, and especially not when you aren't actually running any Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post below - adding fans masks the problem with Adobe's software.  Adobe needs to fix CC, not force customers to fix their problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fans are normal and healthy. What is this obsession with saying they are some kind of fault?? I love to hear the fans, it means I'm getting the power I paid for. Should Adobe cripple their software to run slower, so it doesn't turn on the fan that is there for the job?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not what I meant. The fans shouldn't be coming on at all if you're not
even using Adobe's software (e.g., application manager running in the
background). Again, I use heavy CPU load music software and even with
multiple tracks and VST instruments loaded and running, the MBP stays
cool. What is more, there's no reason for a new model, well-equipped
laptop to overheat and require fan cooling when only working with a small
(<26MP) 2D image file. My old 2008 MBP handled larger files with the
standalone LR program just fine. Does that help clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree that if you aren’t using the app then it shouldn’t be taxing the machine. If you ARE working I’d rather hope for fans. Recent software releases use GPU more and more, and they are a major heat source. Comparisons with older software and hardware which couldn’t work as hard do t seem useful; Adobe and Apple have both worked hard so they can heat up your Mac. The only alternative seems to be Adobe agreeing to cripple their software. Maybe a new feature in PS 2021 “avoids GPU and holds back CPU to avoid distressing fan noise - now slower than ever!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, I'm using the last standalone version of LR and my wife and I both have MBP 16" 2019 laptops.  My machine has been cool since day one.  My wife just received hers and after installing Adobe CC, I was shocked that her machine was almost too hot to touch.  Thought it might be a defective laptop. Then after my old LR stopeed working and needed to download the CC application manager, my machine also overheated.  Guess what?  No CC for us!!  Sloppy coding.  As I write this the application manager is running in the background and my CPUs are abve 65C!!  I'm not a pro photographer and there are so many good (free!) photo editing apps, this just sealed Adobe's fate w/ me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnadowney2, I would encourage you to open a support case so the cause of the excessive processing can be identified. You can begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have a 16inch Mabook Pro as well...used windows all my life ...& was having same issue...the fans would ramp up to 100% speed..& temps would hover around 80C......today I did a little digging...& here's a list of things i changed which helped me...

1) Turn off face detection...Lightrrom Classic>>Catalog Setting>>Metadata>>Face detection

2) Turn Off Address Lookup...Same path as face detection

3) Enabled GPU usage...Lightrrom Classic>>Prefrences>>Performance>>Use Graphics processor>>Custom & then enable both options below it
4) I have set Camera RAW Cache to 32Gb & Video Cache to 5 Gb

5) Lightrrom Classic>>Prefrences>>Import Options>>turn off the option to replace embeded views with standard previews

After this let lightroom idle for 2-3 mins....go to activity monitor your LR CPU usage should be below 10% ....if it's still above that I suggest to get in touch with Adobe representative & start a case.

Good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and my brand new Macbook pro overheats and the fan run just when I use Adobe Photoshop. I haven't this issue running other Apple applications. Shutting the Creative Cloud app doesn't fix my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have a problem. Getting hot and using the fan is what your computer is supposed to do. You do join a long line of people who firmly believe it is a fault, though. "When I drive my car fast the engine is loud. I want it fixed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. The fan shouldn't even turn on when I'm NOT using any Adobe
application. You didn't read my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not even whether PS is running (never had a heat issue before CC and
used a poorly designed 2008 MBP to boot). The logic board overheats with
CC application manager running in the background. I uninstalled all Adobe
apps and viola, no more overheating issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Overheats" is a machine fault. Temperature sensors will shut down if the board overheats. Do you mean it simply rises in temperature and the fan comes on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for clarifying my comment. Without running ANY Adobe
applications, the background processes running from the Application Manager
cause the machine to heat up and the fans turn on at full speed.
Regardless, I removed all Adobe products and the fans don't come on. For
context, I run up to ten tracks of heavy VST instruments (using high
quality samples as well) in Ableton Live and it barely taxes the CPU (less
than 10%). I can process 4k gopro video as well and my machine stays less
than 65C. Hope this helps. The Adobe *background processes* should NOT
increase the CPU heat sink temperature at all. This never happened with
older versions of PS and LR on a 2008 MBP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, it gets crazy hot when rendering in Adobe Dimensions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really good to know that Dimensions makes full use of the macBook tech. Want a beast for rendering. Love to hear those fans and feel that heat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines