Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC is using too much memory

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Adobe CC on a Mac Book Pro 2018 on Mojave and the amount of memory the CC is taking has blown my mind, I bought this computer with 8GB RAM and when running the suite it would push my memory to 95% (so it was pushing my memory to a 7.5GB and up) of its capacity causing it to constantly crash, overheat and more. I returned the computer and upgraded to a 16GB one because I do this for a living!!! Only a few hours after installing the backup on my computer (same exact number of apps, nothing had changed from the previous one), the suite was again using almost 70%  of my memory (that is (13GBs out of 16) not ONE thing changed from the 8GB to the 16 GB computer but as soon as I ran CC the memory use would hike up, I have confirmed this by shutting everything Adobe including the CC app manager and backend processes and then my memory goes back to normal. I read forums I need to uninstall and reinstall (and maybe downgrade to a different version that doesn't do this???) but I can't uninstall I've followed every single instruction on this and other forums about manually trashing and quitting processes and other backend things but I still get the message that it can't uninstall. This is causing serious issues on my workflow, like REAL issues with clients and not being able to deliver because it won't work. Please help. I have used Adobe for 10+ years now and I just don't know what else to do!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your reply, thanks! I agree with you. I responded exactly the same as you. Adobe must realize this is a big issue; cannot understand their indifference.

You have a powerful computer; software should be less demanding of your system.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol what?! adobe crashes my ENTIRE computer all the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem,  I work on bridge for 20. minutes and in some point I have to turn off my computer because Bridge drains my ram and there is not a lot I can do (DEC 6 2019)

Fito pardo is a cinematographer with more than 25 years of experience follow Instagram @fitopardo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a very similar issue - but not with crashing.  I have been using InDesign only, but the cloud CC runs for 15-20 minutes when I first turn my computer on and it sucks up all the RAM causing everything else to run slowly all the time I'm on my computer. I've run Photoshop on my same computer (MacbookPro w/8g RAM) and didn't have this issue.

What is the best way to optimize running InDesign or Photoshop without causing these CC app updates/library confirm activities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up puting 32GB of ram into my computer. It fixed the problem. I have once ran into a memory issue but it did not crash but did slow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) i5, 6-core. 8Gb. OS up tu date, Apps up to date. All good. Boy Scout good.

Today a message came up saying my computer doesn't have enough memory, so in order to prevent any problems, I have to shut down some programs. And then, the list appears. 6 Apps running. 5 of them in less than 400 MB (Chrome is the heaviest with 380 MB) but Mr. XD was consuming 6.34 GB. Now get this: There wasn't any file even open on XD it was just the home screen.

And yeah, I'm willing to upgrade my RAM, but if it's going to be The Neverending Story, it's going the be the Swamp of Sadness for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same isuue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

I'm not using any Adobe products but Desktop Service is running and using nearly a GB of memory. And don't tell me it's "normal." I am constantly getting the message that says my system has run out of application memory. 

AmI sure it's Adobe? No. But I'm not running any massive apps, and I don't understand why this is active at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem with all the adobe apps but to an insane degree. When I get that same popup it tells me that photoshop/premiere/aftereffets/illustrator, whichever one I'm using, is taking up 100-160GB of application memory!!! I don't even know how that works when I only have 32GB of RAM, not sure if there's a difference between RAM and application memory...? Anyway, very strange and annoying, started happening out of nowhere 3 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too same problem most of my memory is taken up with Adobe CC. I've seen posts going back years of people complaining about this and seems Adobe don't really care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding memory problems, I don't have a solution but do have additional input (just in case Adobe reads these posts).  On my MacBook Pro, 64gb and Catalina, I process large files, requiring psb file format, and also use Topaz Remask 5.  When going from Adobe CC to Topaz and coming back I get a message box that says the image cannot be transferred because the "clipboard" is full and then the finished image opens.  I believe this message is the cause for some of the Remask features to not work.  This started 4 or 5 years ago when I used a 16 gb MacBook Pro. At that time Topaz said I was memory limited.  Memory should not be a problem now but I still get the same message with the same feature limitations.  At anther location where I also process the same type of images I use a 32 gb Microsoft based machine with the same appliation software and do not have these problems.  The reason I am starting to get worried is that PSCC has now started crash on my Apple when I go between PSCC and Remask5.  Yes, I sent 2 or 3 crash reports yesterday.

What is the clipboard?  I haven't found it on any HELP inquiries.  Can I limit memory usage to allow for a larger clipboard?  This seems to be an APPLE and ADOBE problem and yes I have received the same "not my problem" finger pointing over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fast 2019 Mac with a 6 core i7 processor and Adobe software is consuming vast amoiunt of resources until the machine slows down to a crawl. Even when no Adode CC apps are open, Adobe Acrobat Syncronizer runs in the background and chews up many GB's of ram without having any active tasks. I just spent over 2 hours on Adobe chat support being handed between 7 different CSR's and counting and no one seems to offer a solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info; that never occurred to me - makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still frustrated with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I concur, I have had this problem on PC's and Mac's. I was afraid to buy anything with less than 16 gb of memory because of this problem. What is adobe doing with all that memory? I don't understand why, because it makes everything so much more challenging for the machine. I have spent a lot of money on their products over the years, but if this has been going on for so many people on so many different machines, and we keep giving them money, maybe we should stop. Adobe offers great products, but they need to innovate. Even with adobe CC and just photoshop and acrobat installed, but not open or doing anything on the machine, adobe "processes" are taking up 12GB of my memory, leaving just 4 for the internet, microsoft, etc. What gives? I don't have any files backed up to adobe cloud. I also had this problem that you speak of where you can't uninstall adobe apps or adobe cc, it's like a virus that sticks into your machine. I finally did a full reset to factory settings to get rid of adobe on one machine so I had one adobe free machine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this input - very helpful! When this virus is over, I will not invite Adobe to any of my parties!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a late 2013 Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM, and it's getting drained. I found that the culprit is Adobe Bridge, hogging 32GB of RAM (half of it!) I'm forced to quit Bridge, because it drains my RAM and HD storage space with cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therefore, to resolve the issue, hold down option, restart Bridge, delete your prefs file, then go to prefs and set cache to a large external HD that can handle it. Sucks that you need to redo your shortcuts in Bridge, but it should solve the problem of Bridge hogging your RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing! Adobe really needs to fix this, I actually erased it from my computer that has 16GB of Ram (Still, not a cheap option, the computer itself was about $2700 new this year). It is too bad that Adobe didn't choose to respond to this thread themselves.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NP. Since doing that, my Mac has been running much better! Just make sure that you put the Bridge cache on an external HD. You may want to try reinstalling, and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fix that problem about one year ago, I have a MacBookPro 15" 2017, 2.9GHZ, Quad i7 with 16GB RAM, no, the problem is not the computer, the problem is Bridge, but the problem is not the program either, the problem is the configuration and that you MUST have an external hard disk connected to your computer always to run the cache out of any program like Adobe CC or others (DaVinci or FCPX) in the menu of Bridge select preferences, then  get to "Cache Management" on "Location" add your external disk, I recommend the Samsung X5 is 2300 MB/S (if you say this is your life as it is for me and you are investing in high-end equipment, this is the option you must choose) 

Fito pardo is a cinematographer with more than 25 years of experience follow Instagram @fitopardo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found these the Adobe CC issue. I was usining Adobe 15 years. Illustartor , Photoshop and Bridge kill much RAW. This year Jan 20th I was install Adobe CC2020 in my i7-10875H with 64RAW when i open AI+PS+Bridge the task mamager running up to 92%. Just think Adobe company have to settledown these issue. 

Tony

From Kuala Lupur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022 and I'm still having this problem. I don't think Adobe will ever solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines