• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot change the cc cloud folder location on my Mac

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot transfer the folder location for the CC cloud.

I get an error after hours of seemingly transfering the location of the CC cloud from my Mac hard drive to an external HD.

It looks like it is working and indeed seems to transfer most of the files. But then I get an error pop up that states it cannot transfer to the drive - no other explanation. 

I have tried 4 or 5 times, always with the same issue. 

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 09.21.15 copy.png

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't use an external drive, network drive or the root of any drive for the sync location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no mention of that when trying to move the location or in the error message. In fact you have the ability to click and select a new location.

Also, with 2TB of cc space this will completely fill my CC cloud folder on the Mac - I need to be able to point to a different drive that will have space.

I can't be the first to have this problem and it will only increase the more we rely on the CC Cloud.

Any advise other than you can't do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, selecting a problematic drive/folder is allowed and then fails to sync.

the solutions are obvious and not likely to help you, get a larger c drive, add an internal hard drive, decrease your cc storage.

the latter may not be as unhelpful as the first two.  cc files are not intended for file backup nor external storage.  they're for sharing files across your own devices and with others.  ie, use some other service  for cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the response - sadly Apple don't like you swapping out hard drives anymore.

Looks like we may need to go with another - drop box style solotion. 

Cheers,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i've only added drives to desktops and that's pretty easy.  i wouldn't mess with a laptop hard drive because physical space, power supply and air circulation are such big factors.

and you can use your external drive for your file backup.  just copy the cc synced files to your external drive and then delete the seldom used ones from your sync folder.  you may be able to sync your external drive with someone else's cloud storage to have the additional security of files on your external drive and stored on someone's cloud servers.

p.s. to recover cc storage space you need to, not only delete files, but also delete them from the deleted folder on your web cc page (similar to the need to empty local recycle bin to recover hard drive space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines