• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Assets – What's the difference between Files and Libraries

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: Can someone explain to me the difference between "Files" and "Libraries" under CC Assets. I uploaded a bunch of illustrations/graphics under "Files" and organized them all into folders, all very neat and tidy and organized, but when I go into InDesign for example and look in the Library panel nothing shows (other than some random files that have somehow ended up in my "Library"). Can I not view "Files" from within programs like Indesign. If not, what is the "Files" part of Assets for.?

Also, I don't seem to be able to move a folder creating under "Files" to Libraries". Any idea why not?

And, I can't create a subfolder under Library...say for example I want to organize Library/Brand/Our Brand and Library/Brand/Other Brands...I can create Library/Brand and that's it. Nothing more below that. Is that all there is as far as levels that are allowed?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Hi Lesley,

I think Kglad's link gives a good overview around the sharing features for the two. I'll try to explain the differences to you as well.

Creative Cloud files refers to the online cloud based storage. The files are stored online making them easily accessible for different computers or devices. Also, Creative Cloud files works in conjunction with File Sync. File Sync automatically synchronizes the Creative Cloud files folder on your computer to the online cloud storage associated with your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the sharing function. I'm just not clear on the difference between "Files" and "Libraries". I have looked at all the supporting documentation provided by Adobe but they don't explain it anywhere. Also, it looks as if the tutorials are supposed to be videos but they aren't. I am going to have a look on YouTube to see if I can find anything there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lesley,

I think Kglad's link gives a good overview around the sharing features for the two. I'll try to explain the differences to you as well.

Creative Cloud files refers to the online cloud based storage. The files are stored online making them easily accessible for different computers or devices. Also, Creative Cloud files works in conjunction with File Sync. File Sync automatically synchronizes the Creative Cloud files folder on your computer to the online cloud storage associated with your Adobe ID. This part of the service is similar to other cloud storage solutions, like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. Think of this as JUST online storage.

Libraries have a cloud based aspect, but are really a feature for being able to work with assets by dragging them in and out of the Libraries panel(s) within the desktop products (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver, etc.). It is really just a way to make certain assets easily accessible and ready for future use/reuse. Here is a quick rundown about the kinds assets you can put into Libraries - color swatches or groups of color swatches (color themes), custom brushes you created for use in Photoshop, Illustrator or Adobe drawing/painting mobile apps, graphics content like a jpeg images or Photoshop files (with layers), or vector based image data, Layer styles (like in Photoshop), Character Styles to set text to a specific font and size, Patterns for seamless repeating patterns, and Looks, for matching the mood of an image to a video.

So the two features have different uses. A lot of the Library content can be created from the Adobe mobile apps and uses the internet and your Adobe ID to transfer them to the Library panels within the desktop products. If you look at your online storage Libraries are listed there, but they are separate from the file storage. Libraries don't exist as actual files on your computer until you drag and drop them out of the Library panel. Libraries are more limited as far as being able to organize too, you can't create folders within folders like you can with the file storage (as you described). You can put all different kinds of files in the cloud storage whereas you can only put certain types of content in to Libraries. It sounds like you may have thought there was more interoperability between the two than we have currently available. Both are still being improved and will most likely change with new features and functionality being added.

Hopefully that all makes sense and is helpful. I know you mentioned you already looked at some of the help documentation but these might be helpful to look at as well if you haven't seen them.

Creative Cloud Files

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/file-storage-quota.html

Libraries

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/how-to/creative-cloud-libraries.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/libraries.html

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What about LR account?

I have 1GB out of 20GB in use under CC Files. Then I open lightroom.adobe.com where I have few mobile phone photos. It shows 278MB/20GB.

Do I have 20+20GB of space even though I have only the first level (20GB) account? Did this happen when the new online LR was added?

I am not saying this is confusing, but it certainly looks that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines