• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CoreSync.exe blocks all network traffic while (slowly) syncing my Creative Cloud files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

Since the latest Creative Cloud update (I'm using version 1.9.0.465 as of this writing), I've been unable to successfully sync my Creative Cloud Files folder.

First things first, as other forum users have posted elsewhere, when the update installed itself, my Creative Cloud Files folder was moved from my chosen location to its default location (C:\Users\MyUserName) and I've been unable to put it back where I wanted it.

However, more pressingly, I noticed that every time I booted my computer, neither my wife nor I were able to access the Internet.  After a couple days' trial and error I realized that Creative Cloud was trying (unsuccessfully) to sync about seven files (totaling about 750MB) to the cloud, and anytime the sync was actively working, my network access was completely blocked.  Even the Creative Cloud desktop app itself couldn't access the Internet to authenticate my apps or Typekit fonts.

I have managed to get much smaller files (1MB, 5MB, up to 15MB) to sync successfully, however this takes a really long time, and no one on my network can manage to load a web page on their device until the sync is complete.

Right now I've got syncing paused, and everything on my network is working fine.

For some additional info, I've attached a screen grab of my Networking tab from Task Manager:

ccsync_annotated.jpg

The big spikes in that graph are me and my wife loading up tons of web content-- YouTube videos, a million tabs of who-knows-what, all acting normally.  Then I hit Resume on CC's sync operation, my activity line clamps way down, and no one can load any Internet content anywhere.  After that, I released my computer's IP address from the command prompt, at which point Creative Cloud Desktop returned a connection failure, and I quit the app.  When I renewed my IP address, I noticed our network access was still blocked, even though Creative Cloud was not running.  I traced the problem back to CoreSync.exe, which had continued running even after I'd quit Creative Cloud.  The moment I ended the CoreSync.exe process, everything was back to normal... until I restarted the Creative Cloud app, which in turn restarted CoreSync.exe.  It was only after pausing CC's sync operation that we were able to use the Internet again.

So!  To sum up, here are my two issues:

• Syncing is entirely broken, and prevents everyone on my network from using the Internet while CC spins its wheels.
  • For some reason, following the same update, I'm unable to change the location of my Creative Cloud Files folder.

Some things I've tried:

• Uninstalling & reinstalling the Creative Cloud Desktop app-- no change
  • Clearing my archived files on creative.adobe.com in case there was some weird argument happening between my live/syncing files and my archived files-- no change
  • Manually adding CoreSync.exe to my Windows Firewall whitelist-- no change

Finally, I can recreate this issue on my second computer, running the same version of Creative Cloud but running off wireless instead of Ethernet.  Same symptoms-- feed it a file to sync, and everyone's Internet access is gone until the sync operation [eventually] finishes.

I'm completely stumped and very frustrated.  I rely heavily on CC's file syncing feature, and as it's the only cloud storage product I'm actually paying for, I'm not willing to abandon it for another service like DropBox.  I'm willing to try just about anything-- and in the meantime I'm just wishing Creative Cloud Desktop app updates weren't compulsory; the last build I'd installed here was working perfectly fine.

My basic system specs in case it's helpful:

• Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
  • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.6GHz
  • 64GB DDR3 RAM
  • nVidia Quadro 4000

Any insights would be incredibly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mauser319,

That certainly is strange. I tested syncing/uploading a large file, near 1GB from the Creative Cloud app, and internet functionality on other devices wasn't impacted so I am unable to recreate the behavior you're experiencing.

I wondered if it was something about your network/router which was restricting simultaneous uploading and downloading .

Something like this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29516331-Unable-to-upload-and-download-at-the-same-time

In addition to trying smaller files, another thing that might be an interesting test, would be adjusting the Transfer Speed settings in the Creative Cloud app preferences, change them both from MAX to Low. I think you'll need to completely quit the Creative Cloud app and relaunch the app in order for the change to take effect. See if you get the same result with it set to low.

Also, it might be with testing an upload via another source and see if you experience the same behavior, maybe something like this with the 100MB file setting TestMy.net Upload Speed Test

I've seen feedback from others about the sync folder location getting changed with the latest update but don't know of any fix yet other than leaving it at the default location. Unfortunately its not possible to revert to an earlier version of the Creative Cloud that I'm aware of.

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyo Dave,

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions.  Here's what I've discovered after some more noodling.

I'm no networking guy, but I can't seem to find anything about my modem or router that would explain why my upstream traffic is being throttled using CC-- especially since it's all the same hardware I was using last week before I updated CC.

In addition, I've tried test uploading a couple of files using DropBox, Google Drive, and WeTransfer.com, and neither process interrupts Internet use on my network.

With all that said, I did go in and pull back my Transfer Speed settings in CC from Maximum to Low, and that made a big difference!  Syncing continued to work, and our other network requests were working just fine.  I managed to get my upload speed set as high as Medium; High and Maximum both kill my network within seconds of being set.

So I'm not sure what was done to the CC application in this release to supposedly enable us to "Sync Files and Fonts faster" (from the release notes), but whatever it is, it's got my uploads capping at 100Kbps (compared to a minimum 350Kbps using Google Drive) unless no one in my home wants to check their email for the next hour.  That's a significant bummer for me, as my After Effects projects regularly swell to ~50MB toward the end of a project.

I'd like to submit a big report here, since really the only variable at play in this situation was the Creative Cloud update.  However, unfortunately it looks like the bug report form is down...  I'll have to try again later.

In the meantime, if there are any other suggestions for experiments I can run on this beast, I'm happy to oblige and report back in case other folks with similar issues can get some relief!

Thanks again,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jared,

Thanks for testing and posting back what you found out. Glad to hear you were able to get it to work at the lower speeds at least for the time being. I'll ask around internally and see if I can get any additional suggestions or insights.

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much Dave!  I really appreciate the efforts on your side.  Things are humming along slowly but reliably now; as future updates are pushed I'll try cranking my transfer speeds back up to test.

Cheers,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines