Highlighted

Creative Cloud file sync deleting local files when they shouldn't

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just had a bit of a scare and I want to confirm if this going to be a potentially future problem for me - and if so what's the best way to deal with it.

I have signed up for the File Sync feature in CC and it seemed to be working well. Thus far it has...

a) saved me the need to manually transfer my current work files from my iMac to Macbook when going out to see clients, and

b) given me an additional form of backup in the event of a major hardware issue

Every month I backup all my files to 2 external hard drives, plus keep a copy of all files locally on my iMac - removing from my current folder all the jobs that have been finalised.

I just was doing my standard backup procedure now and noticed one of my finalised job folders with no files in them but the folder structure still there. I then had a search through all my other job folders and found another client folder with my InDesign files gone but the linked image files still there.

Thank goodness Mac's Time Machine bailed me out and I was able to restore those files and then include them in my monthly backup.

This freaks me out because I'm not that dumb to delete files like these myself - I know my process and it works. The only conclusion I can think of is possibly the cloud chose to delete the files for some inexplicable reason?

Is there anyone out there who's had the same thing happen? Was there some error that I've possibly overlooked? If an Adobe rep could chip in that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Topics

File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creative Cloud file sync deleting local files when they shouldn't

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just had a bit of a scare and I want to confirm if this going to be a potentially future problem for me - and if so what's the best way to deal with it.

I have signed up for the File Sync feature in CC and it seemed to be working well. Thus far it has...

a) saved me the need to manually transfer my current work files from my iMac to Macbook when going out to see clients, and

b) given me an additional form of backup in the event of a major hardware issue

Every month I backup all my files to 2 external hard drives, plus keep a copy of all files locally on my iMac - removing from my current folder all the jobs that have been finalised.

I just was doing my standard backup procedure now and noticed one of my finalised job folders with no files in them but the folder structure still there. I then had a search through all my other job folders and found another client folder with my InDesign files gone but the linked image files still there.

Thank goodness Mac's Time Machine bailed me out and I was able to restore those files and then include them in my monthly backup.

This freaks me out because I'm not that dumb to delete files like these myself - I know my process and it works. The only conclusion I can think of is possibly the cloud chose to delete the files for some inexplicable reason?

Is there anyone out there who's had the same thing happen? Was there some error that I've possibly overlooked? If an Adobe rep could chip in that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

Topics

File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just an update... this is really starting to freak me out for sure. I've just had another InDesign file I created this morning disappear from my local folder on my mac. It actually is lost now as Time Machine doesn't have reference to it, so I have to recreate it again...

The only thing I can think of that seemed out of the ordinary is I got a 'Sync failed' message this morning and I noticed my synced fonts not working (only got 2 but I really needed them for an update to a project - so that gave me a scare as well). Anyway it seemed to get back on track but it was just after I created this file.

This is really making me think of ditching the file sync thing. Any response from someone in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you by chance know the names of the missing files? Are the files in the Archive at https://creative.adobe.com/archive?

Please reply here with the names or email me at kenrice@adobe.com.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced a problem in font and file syncing the past week or two. It was just fixed yesterday when I downloaded an update to Creative Cloud Desktop application version 1.1.1.232.

You can force an immediate update of the software if you quit the CCD application and relaunch it.

When the update was applied some files were restored which had disappeared.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies - I manually restored/rebuilt the files that were missing so all good for now. Thus far there have been no more issues so hopefully this latest CC update may have resolved it.

But I think it highlights treading a little more carefully with this CC feature and have a backup plan in case this kind of thing happens again.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines