• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cultural Appropriation in an Adobe Creative Cloud Commercial August 2020

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complaint/concern. This is directed at the producers of a commercial for Adobe Creative  Cloud from August 2020. Ms Carly Foulkes, the primary actress in the commercial is wearing Fulani earrings. I don't know if Ms. Foulkes is Caucasian, but it appears that she might be. I noticed the Fulani earrings she is wearing. This is traditional Fulana jewelry from the peoples of Guinea, West Africa. The earrings are indeed beautiful and imbued with the meaning of royal status in the Fulani culture.My complaint is that this feels like cultural appropriation and I, as a Black woman, am insulted by this display.

I also understand that the choice of jewelry that she wears might not have been her own, but the selection she was given to wear by the costumers for the commercial. In either case--whether her choice and/or costumers' selection--be aware of your choices of unusual, 'exotic' jewelry. Understand that your choices may infringe upon a culture in ways that you may mot understand and might have unintended consequences. 

I am not saying that the jewelry cannot be admired for its beauty. Just be aware that some people have strong feelings about cultural items being used out of context by other races or cultures. This time it's to sell some very expensive software.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Collaboration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

these are user-to-user forums.

i have no idea where you can register that complaint.  (but if you find an appropriate location, why not check the adobe corporate personnel and see if women of color are under represented and possibly register a more consequential co-complaint.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines