Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do i have the right Adobe Plan

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I subscribe to Creative Cloud with 1TB. 

My laptop is out of storage and I'd like to upload 730 GB of photos to the Adobe Cloud and edit/store my library in the cloud. 

I want to keep my LR library and work off the cloud and avoid more hardware cost and fustrations. I mainly use LR and want to edit and print to my local photo printer.

I've relied on friends for help but beleive my questions are above their talents.

TOPICS
File sync , Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud storage is not a replacement for hard disk space.  Sorry.   To avoid a catastrophe, you should maintain backup files on externals or use dedicated cloud backup services.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like I need help, got bad advice from some friends.

I have 730GB of photos on my laptop and my hard drive is almost out of space.

A friend told to me to get the 1TB plan, upload all my photos to Adobe and work Lightroom off the Adobe Cloud. Then I wouldn't need to store photo on my laptop. 

Are you saying don't do that? Would I buy a big external storage and use that? I'm tried of getting a new laptop every few years because space and technology.

Thank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to think about is backups. Any day your laptop could fail or be Stolen. Any day a mistake could lose all your files in Creative Cloud. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy is right, putting your photos in Creative Cloud doesn't mean you can delete them from your hard drive.

If you need more space, then you will need an extra hard drive, an external drive or some dedicated Cloud Storage (not provided by Adobe).

Files in the Creative Cloud make it easy to share work with team members, but if you work alone, then it's basically just a backup of your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creative Cloud works more like a shadow copy. A specific part of your data is copied to the cloud and constantly synched there as long as you are on-line. This allows basically 3 things.

1. Access of your data from 2 computers without sharing physical media.
  2. Colaboration of different people over huge distances without sharing physical media.
  3. Sharing the result of your work with your customers (or friends) without the need of physically exchanging media. As data sharing here is mostly JPEG, the needed space is limited.

For your data security you still should do backups. Creative cloud gives some protection against data disaster, but at the end, it is not a cloud back-up system. 

The one Tb is needed if you are a midrange Lightroom (not classic) user. Just FYI: I'm heading now to 4 Tb of picture data and I trust that data to my local 6 Tb harddisk and my NAS for backup. Only smaller data is on my cloud especially for data exchange over longer distances.

As for my mobile needs I have an external 2 Tb SSD drive.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines