• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Licensing: Adobe vs Mac

Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to publish my first epub, along with a PDF version, and discovered that I have some homework to do regarding fonts.

I learned that, as a Creative Cloud subscriber, I can use Adobe fonts in my epubs without paying a fee or posting a license notice. However, someone told me that I need to make sure I'm using Adobe fonts, NOT fonts that come installed on my MacBook Pro.

How can I determine if a particular font is Adobe or Apple?

In this particular instance, I want to use the font Georgia in my PDF version.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more complicated than you might think. You might be using

- the fonts that came with macOS

- fonts from Adobe in Adobe fonts

- fonts installed by any other app (such as Word)

- fonts left behind by apps you used to use

- fonts you paid for or downloaded for free

You can check the list of Adobe fonts in the Creative Cloud app.

The list of fonts which comes with macOS changes with each new version. Here is the list for Catalina: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/05/28/macos-catalina-fonts-list/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I checked Creative Cloud and was shocked to discover that it does NOT include Georgia. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you should happen to be wondering why Georgia isn't in Adobe fonts, here are two pieces of info that might interest you.

1. The font Georgia belongs to Microsoft, and they don't license any fonts to Adobe for inclusion in Adobe Fonts. They use them, rather, to sell Windows and Office products. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(typeface)

2. There are hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of fonts. So Adobe fonts isn't and can't be a collection of any large part of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines