• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I recover an asset I deleted in the creative cloud library?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was cleaning up my library assets and deleted an asset that I still need. Is there a way to recover/undelete/restore that asset? In this case it was a brush.

Thank you community.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

It may be worth noting on this thread (as it's the top result on Google) that deleted assets are now recoverable from the web interface here: https://assets.adobe.com/assets/libraries?filter=archive. So no more headaches!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moving the discussion to File Hosting, Syncing, and Collaboration forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present, we do not provide a way to recover an element once it is deleted from a Creative Cloud Library.

Regards,

Mark Shepherd

CC Libraries Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please fix this soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zachary, I can't comment on specific features or dates, but I can confirm that the libraries team is aware that this is a pain point for our users and is looking at solutions. For now, I hope you are able to work successfully within the current limitations.

Regards,

Mark Shepherd

CC Libraries Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, thanks Mark!

I bet this is in the works too, but when you duplicate a Library asset, it should append "copy" to the duplicate. Currently it's a dicey maneuver trying to figure out which asset was the original.

Cheers,

Zac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zac, great point. At present, library elements are not required to have a unique name, in fact they don't need to have a name at all. Can I ask a question: when you are using libraries, do you name every element?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll give you an example:

Let’s say I design a form and save it to my Library. I want to now create a new form based on the original. If I duplicate that asset in my Library, the only way to ensure that I’m working on the duplicate is to make a change to it and see if that change is reflected within my Artboard. Make sense?

In the Library, I think it should work as it does in the layer palette: when you duplicate a layer, it appends the text "(copy)” to the end of the layer title.

I’m using Libraries like a boss. And yes, I name each element. Some of my PSDs consist of multiple Artboards. Each project gets it’s own Library, which is not only awesome when it comes to updating elements across all Artboards, but exporting/sharing Library assets with my developers is a cinch.

Goes without saying that saving color palettes, character and effect styles are invaluable features.

In summary, my biggest issues are:

1. Ability to recover a library asset that was accidentally deleted (perhaps there’s 24hr expiration for archived/deleted assets?). Would be cool to be able to save libraries to your Creative Cloud (or anywhere) so that it can be restored at any time.
  2. Appending “(copy)” to duplicated library items

I’ve also been loving Adobe XD. Can’t wait for more features like rollovers, scrolling, animations/animated GIFs. My clients are ecstatic when I send them high-fidelity, interactive mockups.

Adobe Comp is awesome too. I’ve been enjoying it on my new 12” iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil.

And I think it goes without saying the all us designers are anticipating a fully functional Creative Suite for the iPad, especially Photoshop and Illustrator.

Happy to provide any other feedback!

Cheers,

Zac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In summary, my biggest issues are:

1. Ability to recover a library asset that was accidentally deleted (perhaps there’s 24hr expiration for archived/deleted assets?). Would be cool to be able to save libraries to your Creative Cloud (or anywhere) so that it can be restored at any time.

Yeah it's been over a year and Adobe hasn't addressed this issue. They invade your workflow, decide to store your assets in a cloud and make them unavailable to coworkers in your studio I want all my assets in my file. Absolute nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've literally lost a year of work from my design agency because of your stupid libraries.

This is the worst feature ever implemented. I hate this. How can I my assets back?

Why Can't everything in my photoshop file stay in my DAMN file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I just lost months of work because i delete accidentally the itens and i want to recover them.

Please, we need a backup immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are angry, did you know that placing linked assets from your library is optional? I've found the smartest workflow is to place copies of the assets into your work file. If you place a linked asset, you must be connected to the internet for it to work, not to mention the issue of if you deleted assets messing your file up. At least if you've got copies in your document, you can very easily add them back to your library as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that it's optional, it's that Adobe created a new system that interrupted existing workflows without explicit explanation to how it'll affect a user. It was a tiny checkbox upon opening a file that completely changed where your links were being stored, a system and workflow that designers had been using for over 10 years. Having a software that subtly decides to change where you believe you're files are being stored without explicit explanation. The amount of professionals that lost work is proof of this.

I now "embed all linked" in the layers menu before handing off to another designer. And I don't store anything in the cloud anymore.

That doesn't mean I didn't lose hours of work first or knew that Adobe was not storing these files on my computer like it always had before. There are many work arounds I've learned but the fact that many of us lost a lot of work and time means it was a poor implementation, poor u/i and Adobe overstepped it's boundaries when it decided on a whim to take my files of my computer, put them in the cloud and not have a backup or restore option ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. I'm new to creative cloud, and have been pasting smart objects into photoshop, not even noticing the 'link' checkbox. Then I see all these files in a library that I think I don't need, because they just look like replication, so I delete them, and then I discover that I do need them and tire's no way to recover those files.

So many wasted hours, really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth noting on this thread (as it's the top result on Google) that deleted assets are now recoverable from the web interface here: https://assets.adobe.com/assets/libraries?filter=archive. So no more headaches!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should REALLY BE INCLUDED with the current offering, especially for paying customers who rely on the cloud service and are paying a premium to use the Adobe Cloud and the affiliated applications

Houdini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just deleted what I thought was a colour palette I had created in Adobe Color CC however it deleted my entire library. Is there anyway to recover? There is nothing in the 'Archive' folder. This is crazy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2022 - is there a solution for this? An entire library of assets is now gone - and there is no way to restore it? Why collaborate at all if one person can accidentally wipe out years of work with two clicks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you found a solution for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. Thankfully, I always export assets as SVGs to a separate directory on our network, so I was able to manually recreate the asset library. But when I deleted the files, they were indeed gone for good. The only way I was able to get a response from Adobe support was by messaging Adobe on Facebook -- but they were ultimately unhelpful. That said,  I think an update came out recently with an undelete feature - but I haven't tried it, nor do I know how to access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

recover/undelete/restore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines