• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to preview dng pictures in windows 10 ?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I -just- want to preview dng pictures in windows 10, without changing them or opening a product that takes up to a minute to load .. like lightroom or photoshop. Again, I just want to SEE the dng, quickly. I do not want to convert - please do not recommend Adobe's dng converter, that is NOT what I want. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's hilarious because, as you must already know, the microsoft forum answer says to "The easiest way to open a DNG file is to double-click on it and PC decide which default app or application is compatible to open the file" which, of course, leads to PS or LR. I have both but I want to PREVIEW pictures not, as stated already, take minutes to bring them into either PS or LR at least not until I've reviewed a bunch of them in advance. What I want as a user has nothing to do with whether Microsoft or Adobe is "right" about licensing or other issues. What I want is what I used to have - the ability to quickly see what I've got. Frankly I don't care who provides the solution. It's this kind of craziness that leads users to wonder whether GIMP isn't a better idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does GIMP have to do with anything here?

Windows 10 shows you the embedded jpeg inside the DNG file, for quick preview purposes.

Bridge shows you the raw data with ACR adjustments, again for quick preview purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 should preview DNGs natively - both Windows Explorer and the Windows "Photos" viewer. Of course, what you see is just the embedded jpeg, not the raw data with any adjustments you've made. If that's what you want - why not use Bridge?

dng.png

dng2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Adobe DNGCodec. The latest version is 2.0 and I don't think Adobe develops it anymore, but it works for previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no longer needed. Windows 10 natively displays DNG files, in both Explorer and Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No working for me All update installed

No thumbnails generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer should NOT be labeled as correct, I have had WIN 10 installed since it was possible to do so and NEVER has it had the capability to view DNG files as thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Bridge... its free

other people can have one of 1/2 doz Windows apps or just explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me "out of the box" on a new W10 install (as do NEF files).  Except I just now figured out they will appear as blank "DNG" icons in the OneDrive folder until they are actually on the local drive. Either by downloading in place, or being moved to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines