• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing files from cloud

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker and I have been using the cloud between 2 computers for about the last month. We have experienced lost files with both Illustrator and InDesign. Neither of us moved the files nor deleted them. They were there to work on and them simply not. We have the PDF files that we created for proofing but not the native files. Is there anyone that can help with what to do to find those, or are they just gone and this is an unfortunate side effect to the cloud?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lauren, that's scary to hear! I've never heard of that before.

When you say you've "been using the cloud between 2 computers" what do you mean, precisely. Are you using files in your Creative Cloud Files folder on your hard drive? Or sharing or collaborating with files you're dragging into CC Libraries? Or ...?

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker and I are both accessing the cloud from separate computers to edit the same documents. All of the files are living in the cloud that way we both can get to the most current versions and make changes as needed. We have not gotten to the point or habit of saving on a hard drive regularly yet, but after this we probably are going to. We are looking at adding a 3rd person into the mix to edit documents, but if files keep going "missing" I'm not sure that this is where we want to house the documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but ... what "cloud"? There is not a single "cloud" out there, there are many services that offer cloud storage. These companies simply let users save and retrieve documents on their computers at their sites (popularly known as "the cloud" -- it just means someone else's hard drive on their server computer).

The biggest cloud services for file storage and sharing are Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box.net. Is it one of these? You can save ID and Illustrator files to these cloud sites, and share access to them with other users. Both Dropbox and Google Drive automatically sync your files stored there to a special folder on your local hard drive. Both also let you share selected folders with another user. The one who does the sharing is the Owner, as you'd see in the sharing details for a shared item.

Since you're posting here on the Adobe forums, I'm guessing you're talking about the storage space from Creative Cloud, but CC doesn't let two or more users access the same storage space as you say. Someone would've needed to select a folder or file in their CC account and expressly shared it with another user.

Maybe a screen shot of where you're saying you access file from, and where they're missing from, would help us identify the cloud you're talking about.

To see your CC files, go to your CC app, choose Assets, click Files, and then either click Open Folder (to see the CC Files folder on your hard drive) or View on Web (to see the same, synced items in your CC cloud storage).

Thx,

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about the Creative Cloud since I was posting on the Adobe forum. We have a shared folder between us so we can access the same documents. I know how to access the files and save them so we both can get to them. What I can't figure out is why 2 of our files have gone missing from the Creative Cloud while we were working with them. The second file that went missing had days between us editing it, but the first file that went missing had been working on only hours previously. I was hoping that someone here had run into a similar problem. I found one that said they found their files in the trash, but i was unable to find mine there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah! okay, thanks.

So ... did you each check your local CC File folder to see if the missing file/s are there? Perhaps someone turned off sharing, so it's not visible to the other? Or it was accidentally moved to another folder outside of CC Files ... search your hard drives for the file name.

If you're backing up, like with Time Machine, you should be able to retrieve the file from the CC Files folder but a few days back.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to your questions, we have synced everything and all of our stuff is up to date, the file just is not there. We have not started implementing a back up procedure just yet as we are still new to this, but in the short time we've been using it I'm just surprised at my files going missing. We have used Box as a company for a long time and have never had any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for the additional information. Log files are basically files that the Creative Cloud app automatically creates regarding the inner workings of the app, and can be used to diagnose problems if something goes wrong. There are numerous logs created in various locations on the computer. Many of the logs get deleted automatically after a certain amount of time, typically a week. Adobe created a tool which collects all of the logs and puts them into a single zip file on the desktop. If you could run this tool, upload the log files, and send me a link, I'll pass it on to the related to engineering team to investigate what happened. The tool can be downloaded from here: Log Collector Tool Engineering may also be able to recover your deleted files. I can't promise anything, but sometimes this is possible. If you could run the log collector on both your and your coworkers computers and share links to download them I'll relay it to the related engineering group. You can upload the log files .zip to any hosting service you like, including the Creative Cloud file storage. You may want to send the link to download the logs to me privately. You could use the message feature here in the forums to do so, just hover over my forum name and you should see a message option at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Engineering may have some additional questions, so I'll share those and whatever I find out.

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lauren,

I followed up with engineering and they were attempting to recover the missing file but unable to locate them under the account you use here on the forums. They had a few additional questions for you.

• Do you know the path to where the files were located that went missing?
  • You mentioned you were collaborating with another user on the files, can you share the Adobe ID of that user with me?
  • Also who started the sharing, you or the other user?

Files are owned by the user who started the sharing. If your co-worker was the one who started sharing the files that may have been why they were having difficulties locating them.

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lauren,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Like AnneMarie, I was trying to better understand more specifics about your workflow in order to understand what happened about hopefully help. I agree with AnneMarie's suggestions.

A few other things I wondered about

• Do the files appear here: https://assets.adobe.com/files?filter=all
  • or here: https://assets.adobe.com/files?filter=archive
  • What was the names of the files which disappeared?
  • Do you know the approximate date and time when they disappeared?
  • You mentioned you checked on the trash on your computer, did your co-worker check theirs too?
  • Would you be willing to collect log files from your computer to help us better understand what happened if needed?

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to your questions -

1. They do not appear under assets and all files. We have checked both computers and online.

2. The names of the files were MileOneBrochure and MileOneEvidenceGuide

3. I cannot recall when the first one disappeared, but the last one disappeared last Wednesday.

4. I have checked the trash on his computer as well.

5. I'm not sure what log files are, but I don't know which computer to collect them from as this is a file that we both worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines