• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reuse vector graphics on iPad

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an iPad to make vector drawings, I need a feature similar to Smart Objects (they all change when the original is modified), and I need to sync files (preferably as Cloud Documents).

Photoshop itself doesn't seem to support vector drawing very well.  Fresco doesn't seem to support Smart Object-like constructs at all.  Illustrator seems like it offers similar functionality in the form of Linked Assets but I can't find a tutorial applicable to the iPad.  In fact, almost every tutorial I've found in the last week begins with opening a menu option that does not exist on the iPad.

Sorry if this has been asked before.  I've wasted almost a week looking for features that might not even exist.

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , File sync , Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Mr. Smith's point, I think, is that the linked document feature you're asking about doesn't exist. Love the idea of having bitmap and vector capabilities in one app, but I expect that's a bit of a unicorn at the moment. 

I've been working with Adobe's iPad apps, trying to integrate them into my process, but they definitely function differently, nor do they have quite the same features on both platforms. And, not being a programmer, but I would expect that they're different because the hardware c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the links below to make a report or request
-for Video & Audio & Animator programs https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/
-https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Smith's point, I think, is that the linked document feature you're asking about doesn't exist. Love the idea of having bitmap and vector capabilities in one app, but I expect that's a bit of a unicorn at the moment. 

I've been working with Adobe's iPad apps, trying to integrate them into my process, but they definitely function differently, nor do they have quite the same features on both platforms. And, not being a programmer, but I would expect that they're different because the hardware capabilities are different.

Adobe Fresco and Sketch (which has been replaced by Fresco) are the bitmap apps. These files can be brought into Photoshop for further manipulation. Photoshop on any platform is also primarily a bitmap app. It is not meant for heavy vector needs. Which is why you import vectors into PS as smart objects and edit them with Illustrator.

Draw is the vector app on the iPad. These files can be brought into Illustrator on the computer for further manipulation. There is no Illustrator for the iPad. Draw and Illustrator are not interchangeable.

From what I can tell so far, vectors in PSiPad are not available. I am still learning the ropes so maybe I haven't gotten that far.

SO. I can sketch in Fresco, and import it into PS on the iPad, OR open it in PS on the computer. Fresco doesn't go backwards to the iPad once you make any changes to it in PS. But you can save it from your computer as a PSDC file in the cloud and open it again in PSiPad.

HOWever, if you create a PS file on the iPad and import it into PS on your machine, use features that are not available on the iPad, I imagine that if you try to open that modified file on the iPad, the changes you did on the computer will either not show up or be flattened. Also note that there is no smart object capability on PSiPad. Editing is destructive. Duplicate layers if you need to be able to go backwards.

Adobe Illustrator Draw on the iPad is the vector app. It will interface with Illustrator on the computer. Be aware that you can upload your Draw files to open in Illustrator but you can't go the other way and open an Illustrator doc on the iPad. 

Finally, I am pretty sure all the linking and smart object capabilities are only available on the computer versions. BUT I am by no means any kind of expert, so if someone knows better, I will stand corrected. Please chime in! 

I've been using these apps to sketch out ideas, do a little bit of comping, and some light retouching and compositing. THEN I bring the files onto the computer to do the heavy lifting, and to place into other documents.

One thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is that the cloud storage apparently has different "buckets" or "silos". The mobile files and computer files are stored separately. (And, saved to the cloud is different than saved to your Creative Cloud folder on your comptuer--I think.) There are many posts about that on these pages. Therefore I am saving stuff locally, and links stay linked. Also, project files need to be gathered up and stored on the company servers for posterity, as well as shared with vendor partners. 

I hope this has given some insight. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was an excellent answer.  I am a computer programmer, so I can fill in some of your blanks as thanks.

The reason for the features gap between PC and iPad isn't hardware, PS runs like crap on a crappy PC but remains feature complete.  My gut says that a size limit on app store downloads is responsible.  Wouldn't want to fee grandma a thousand dollars for installing actual Photoshop at the end of her provider's billing period.

I've been using Fresco for vector art.  The vector brush is right under the pixel brush, which says everything about the level of support -- groups of vector layers rotate responsively, etc.

Smart Objects added on PC displayed correctly on iPad.  Everything I tried except show/hide and reorder layer raised a prompt to flatten it.  Similar behavior with the shape library (maybe wrong name).  Files seemed to export cleanly with those 'foreign objects' present, but were converted repeatedly and the layers sure looked pixelated afterwards.

The Creative Cloud folder looks similar to a Dropbox folder.  I think it holds files normally on your operating system, regularly uploads to and downloads from a remote storage location with a similar name, and generates additional files with 'conflict' in the name if it gets the slightest bit confused.  Cloud Documents are more sophisticated, if an artwork on your iPad is even saved as a single file on Adobe's cloud server it seems unlikely that any application available on the iPad could open that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines