Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set local directory of CC Libraries

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI!

I was wondering where the contents of my CC Libraries are stored, and is there any way I can change that location? I'm desperate to manually set the location of my assets 

‌

TOPICS
File sync , Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Hi Warner, creative cloud libraries are stored on your local file system in the standard location for application data. We do not provide a way for users to choose a different location. FYI, on mac this is "/Library/Application Support/Adobe", on windows the location is something like "C:\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Adobe". Please be careful not to tamper with these files in any way.

Regards,

Mark Shepherd

CC Libraries Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's odd about pgcca's post above is you could replace the term "Dropbox" with "Creative Cloud" and it would still be 100% correct and accurate...

With Adobe's online storage, you can easily choose to share entire folders (synced locally to your computer) amongst many people by simply sending them a link (just like Dropbox), -or- use the CC Libraries functionality, or both.

Share Adobe Creative Cloud files, folder, libraries, and more

What's more, with the Creative Cloud storage, anyone who you share assets with can intelligently preview the content of your files like .PSD, .AI, .INDD, etc. online in any web browser anywhere, without needing the tools installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for one, because assets in libraries can be linked to more than one library while still being only one physical asset. Which of the library folders should the asset be saved in then? When you open a library from the Creative Cloud desktop app, and you right-click on a file you can actually assign that file/asset to a different library as well, but the file isn't duplicated. How would you mirror that behaviour in a conventional file directory/folder structure? Hence, Adobe instead maintains an internal database of all the assets in the Library, because that way every object only needs to exist once, but can still be part of different collections. If it was a traditional folder system and you wanted a photo, video clip, etc. to be part of more than one collection then you would have to copy the same asset to all these folders. So Adobe's approach is the only one making sense in a library structure - which is not the same as a folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be very useful to have physical access to the CC libraries. So that you can update an image and have all references of that image automatically updated. I feel there is a flaw in Indesign when you drag/add a duplicate image to the CC libraries and rename it with the same name as an existing image. Both exist side by side. It should be intelligent enough to say. Do you want to replace the existing image?

Either that or give us the rights to update the image directly in the CC libraries folder or have an ability to update an image in the library. If you do drag a new image and remove the old you then need to re-link all files that had the 'old' image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, since this is still not resolved since 2 years, here is a guide for windows how to circumvent the issue:

Adobe Creative Cloud Libraries writes all the files shared between users to the C drive by default. Our Libraries are about 100GB+ in size, which leads to bottlenecks on low capacity system SSD's.

Here is a guide how to create symlinks to move the Creative Cloud Library to a Cache drive.

You can locate the Creative Cloud Libraries folder at:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries

1) You will need to close all adobe applications and Cut/move the "Creative Cloud Library" folder to the cache drive of larger capacity.

2) After copying is complete, run the following command :

mklink /D "[Initial location folder path on system drive]" "[folder path where the folder has been copied to]"

Example: mklink /D "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries" "D:\Cache\Adobe Cache\Creative Cloud Libraries"

Dont forget the " for folder links.

You will need to have no folder in the system drive, as the command will create one.

3) All done! When you go into the system drive directory, it will pass all files along to a cache folder.

4) You can do this with other Adobe and Cache-Heavy applications that dont allow cache directory customization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a windows link to my library folder on a bigger drive works - except in one major case.  If I import some assets into an After Effects project and save it, another artist in my department (who is sharing my library, so should have all the same assets), will find missing footage upon loading my project since After Effects sees it being stored in my local user folder, which obviously isn't the same on his computer.  This pretty much means that using libraries for common assets in a shared team setting in After Effects is ALWAYS going to be a problem.  Until Adobe lets us decide where to put the library folder (i.e. a local folder on each artist's workstation that is the same for all of us), I don't see how useful libraries are.

-Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this drive have to be on my computer or can it be a network drive. My work computer only has a SSD no cache drive that I can find. We keep most of our files on a network drive which is huge and could handle the libraries easily.

Thanks,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original question wasn't answered. Is there any way to move the directory from my C drive to our external storage drive? The libraries keep over running my computer space. 90 GB on a 250 GB SSD and this is after cleaning them up it was over 100.

I use the libraries as they are much faster than having to grab assets from a folder every time i need them. I do automotive ads at my day job and sometimes someone wants to change a car color much quicker with libraries than with individual assets.

Thanks Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey BabyBandit,

This isn't necessarily an easy solution (assuming your 90GB amounts to hundreds of files), but you are able to add items to your CC library where they maintain their original location.

If you have a folder for assets on your server/external drive for example, and you place them as a link into Indesign (for example) and then option/alt drag them into your CC Library panel, they won't be copied to another location on your SSD drive, just linked from the original location. It might seem a bit daunting of a task to relink all those files, but making that a habit could make life a bit easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicely done, sir. Worked 100%. Now, if only Adobe would let us install apps wherever we want, boy, what a day that would be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give it a shot!..
My C: I can't afford to use it as storage of hefty libs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now in 2023 - I also participated in this 4 years ago. I just got a bump from someone about this, and coming back I have since added an extra 10 TB cloud storage to my Adobe CC subscription so I now have the full Adbe Creative Cloud solution and an additional 10 TB Cloud Storage. I was just wondering isn't the whole local space problem the primary reason Adobe invented the Cloud Storage solution in the first place, an furthermore to make asset sharing easy when collaborating on projects?
I personally find it very liberating to now work completely in projects and not having to care what folder I took it from. I do have an insane amount of assets like 100.000 photos, 20.000 soundfx, 12.000 ambience music files, and hours and hours of stock video (and I do keep a tidy environment by having different disks for different content types so I have 5 different disks for Sound, Music, Stills, Video and animations/fx, but they can all be linked to the same project and depending on what app I'm using the relevant files from the project are shown first. If I am in Photoshop it shows me my stills (although I can still see the other folders of my project), and when I am in Premiere it shows me the Video Clips, Effects and transitions, and so forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I thought it didn't work at first because I copied the library not in Cache folder. I thought it would work in any folder. After I moved the library in my AE Cache folder (I don't have an exactly "Cache" folder), the library finally synced back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'My' files on WIndows were in

Local Disk C - Users - (me) - AppData - Roaming - Adobe - Creative Cloud Libraries - LIBS - (longnumber)AdobeID -creative_cloud - dcx

in a sequence of folders with long numbered names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can we send these creative cloud libraries folder files to another system and import these files like .cclibs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to export an cclibs containing mogrts from AE and import the file into Premiere, but I guess this won't work if the client is not using CC Libraries (which our clients does not). Another workaround I found to work for batch exporting mogrts is to select all files in the library inside Premiere Pro and right click and hit "copy to local". The files will then be exported to the Motion Graphics Templates folder (Library>Application Support>Adobe>Common).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump 2020 .. can we move the libraries folder please? I'm trying the mklink approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I raise the request, it's sick that we can't do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On Win 11 pro Adobe Libraries are located at...

"C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries\LIBS\249000C454EB733E0A0550BA_AdobeID\creative_cloud"

The vector files are in the "dcx" folder and the png are in the "Renditions" folder

Hope this helps

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines