• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple explanation of cloud docs vs. synced files

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be me because this doc makes them sound like they do the same thing: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/about-cloud-documents.html

What am I missing? I have two macs now and woukd like one version of  any particular file I work on available at both machines. Most of them will be InDesign files. For example I edit a brochure on my laptop and then open it ltater on from my desktop a nd it reflects those recent edits. Thanks for any help you can offer. 

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From computer #1, upload InDesign file to cloud storage.

From computer #2, download InDesign file from cloud storage.

Rinse & repeat.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Nancy. I've been doing some test and if I put the ID file in the Creative Cloud Files folder (see attached screenshot) that resides in my finder sidebar, I can work off of that file and it will update across the board. So if I'm on another computer and logged into the same CC account, opening that ID file via that same sidebar folder will be the latest version. I'm hoping this is the right workflow because it's exactly what I wanted it to do.

CleanShot 2021-06-23 at 16.50.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Think about it.  What's on local computer hard drive #1 is NOT what's on computer hard drive #2 until you pull it down from the Cloud.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused… I had thought from what I've been reading "synced files" are files in the Creative Cloud Files folder and are synced across all your devices. So as you work on the file, the version in the creative cloud website is updated and passed along to the other machines. Is this not so? 

Are you referring to Cloud Documents as far as having to donwload the latest version each time? 

Sorry for all the questions but they really don't make this very clear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just did a couple test and the file I edited on my laptop did update on the preview in the CC app synced files folder and when I opened it on my iMac, so it's working. I guess just using the synced files method does what I need it to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines