• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing files when "floating" licenses between contractors?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking into creating a workflow using CC that would have contractors store all of their files using the "Creative Cloud Files" syncing system. They would do all of their work in the CC files dropbox, so that we would have instant access to all that they've created. Then we could revise the files as needed and also have them available for backup.

The plan is to give these remote contractors access to the CC software on an "as needed" basis. So, they'd be able to install/use the software when working on our projects. I'm not totally clear on how that works, but I assume they can be allocated a seat as needed via the Team or Enterprise CC plan?

If that's possible, what happens to their synced files if/when they don't currently have a valid CC license/login on their computer? Do they still have access to them? Are they deleted? The assumption is that the files would be shared with our team, so we would in theory already have them on our computers. On a side note, if the contractor deletes those files, would they still be archived somewhere?

Any info on this would be appreciated. It would be nice to have all of this tied in with CC, but the alternative would be to use Dropbox, which would not then be dependent on an ongoing CC license.

Cheers,

Mike

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

All files have an owner, the person who uploaded the files. There are two ways to share files: Collaboration and Send Link.

Collaboration is folder based. Everyone who has accepted the Invite has both read and write access to the folder. The owner of the folder can Archive the folder which will stop the Collaboration for everyone, while the non-owners can individually choose Leave Folder. Also from the Collaborate dialog you can choose Remove Access for any individual.

• Collaboration video tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files have an owner, the person who uploaded the files. There are two ways to share files: Collaboration and Send Link.

Collaboration is folder based. Everyone who has accepted the Invite has both read and write access to the folder. The owner of the folder can Archive the folder which will stop the Collaboration for everyone, while the non-owners can individually choose Leave Folder. Also from the Collaborate dialog you can choose Remove Access for any individual.

Send Link can be used both for folders and individual files. This provides a public url that gives someone read-only access. By default Download is enabled which means someone can download a file or choose "Copy to Creative Cloud" which gives them their own copy of the file at https://assets.adobe.com.

A person with a free / trial Adobe ID has 2 GB of file storage. Team gives you 100 GB of file storage. With a Team account you can move paid Seats from one person to another as they come / leave the company. So if a paid Seat is removed then the person reverts to 2 GB of file storage. If they are over the 2 GB quota they will not be able to use the file storage until the reduce the stored amount below 2 GB.

Enterprise accounts work differently based on the options you choose. You can request a consultion for Enterprise from http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/enterprise.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ken, that's great. Much appreciated.

What happens if someone has more than one login to CC? So, say they have their own CC license and also have one assigned to them by the company? Will that cause conflicts with their synced files? I assume they would have to use different email addresses/logins for each license? Could each login have a CC synced folder in a different location? I know you can customize where the folder is saved.

If a contractor already has their own license I don't know that we'd even need to give them a company login, as they should just be able to use their own, but it would be good to know.

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have more than one Adobe ID. The owner or collaboration non-owner participant of a file / folder is tied to a single Adobe ID. You can only do file syncing with a single Adobe ID at one time, but you can switch between Adobe IDs. The location of the Creative Cloud Files folder is singular. When you switch accounts the non-active one will be labelled by the file syncing with the Adobe ID. So the one that just says Creative Cloud Files is the active one.

You can try things out with two free / trial accounts to see how the file sync account switching works.

Also feel free to send me a folder collaboration invite to kenrice@adobe.com. I can then send you a collaboration invite. That will let you see how the system works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, great. Thanks again. That really helps. I have access to 2 different licensed accounts, so I just played around with syncing files and logging in and out. I also sent a collaboration invite to myself, so I can see how that works.

My issue is that when you logout of one account, your synced files disappear. It seems like my Mac is just making the folder invisible, as if I'm still actually in the folder I can still see it and open the files within it. However, when I first did that, I had the folders in different locations per each login. When I moved them both to the same location, then any files not shared between them disappeared. Again, it looks like they're just being made invisible, as when I switched logins they instantly re-appeared and were already synced, but this could present problems. Having my login-specific files basically become unavailable when I've switched logins doesn't seem to be a very viable solution to me. Does this work the same on a PC? I'm thinking that using a solution like Dropbox might make this less complicated, as I don't think it will have the same login issues.

Thanks again,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this with Dropbox on Mac OS X and folder-wise we both do the same thing.

With Dropbox you unlink the account, with Creative Cloud file sync you sign out.

Dropbox creates a folder called Dropbox (Old) unless you choose a different name. We rename the folder to something like KENRICE@ADOBE.COM Creative Cloud Files.

Both have all the sync folders under your user folder by default.

Please choose the tools that accommodate your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, that's good to know. Thanks for investigating that.

I just tested Unlinking my personal Dropbox (I have a corporate one and a personal one), and the main difference seems to be that it doesn't touch any files in there, unlike CC which then hides them from you, making them inaccessible for most people (until you switch logins again). I'm not seeing the folder being renamed - it just gets hidden and then would be very hard to find for most users. Is this something perhaps to do with the permissions on my machine?

I'll have to discuss this with my team to see what will work best. Thanks again for all of your help with this!

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines