• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 stopped working on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.8 suddenly stopped working when I tried to load a second library ebook (it loaded the first). It just sits at the splash screen and says "loading library...." but will NOT open. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling ADE; uninstalling it and installing an older version I still had from two years ago; and even taking Windows back about 10-20 days using a restore point. NOTHING worked!

Please, please help! I am an avid reader and this is how I get my library books. It's very frustrating!

I have searched Google so many times to try to find an answer that works and I can't.

I use Windows 10.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Closed ADE.
Rename the My Digital Edition folder in your Documents Folder. (f. e. OLD)

Then start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed ADE.
Rename the My Digital Edition folder in your Documents Folder. (f. e. OLD)

Then start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely, when I borrowed another ebook today from the library, Adobe Digital Editions opened up, sort of (it was a white blank where the library should be) but it would NOT open up the new ebook. I tried multiple times. It would only open it up once I renamed the new Digital Editions file folder OLD2, and then tried again.... I hope I don't have to do that every time I borrow an ebook now...but if I do, at least I have a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed everyone's suggestion, going to old. it worked:-) Just, why won't adobe tell us that or at least fix it? I'm asking library to change systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I close ADE?  I have no ability to use it and I cannot close it, therefore I cannot remove it from my program list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Windows, click on Control ALT Delete at the same time. That will bring up the option for Task Manager. Click on Task Manager, then choose ADE and you can shut it down by right clicking and choosing "end task."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was having the same problems most of you are having and I tried all the solutions you all tried but the suggestion to change the name of Adobe digital editions file folder just add the word old I thought it was too simple but I tried it and lo and behold it worked when when will be additional editions open there were all the books I've been trying to download for the last 2 weeks went back to the library and try new downloads everything went smoothly I can't believe it was this easy thank you so much for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes, renaming the Adobe Digital Edition file worked. I can't believe something so darn simple worked. I've been mucking with a fix for days and this worked. Thank you so much for the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Nanaky. How did you work it out (rhetorical question)? Merry Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work. Downloaded ADE editions 3 and it worked after months of frustration and money spent on my laptop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Nanaky so very much! (hugging you) I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable Adobe Flash player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally found solution:

1) Delete: My Digital Editions folder localed in Documents

2) Reinstall Digital Editions 4.5

3) Open software and you will see that is not showing window, I've noticed that is minimized, so make click in Digital Editions button (taskbar) and press in your keyboard Alt + (Spacebar), you'll see an option to RESTORE, press letter that is underlined and Digital Editions 4.5 should display in your screen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My restore is not highlighted.  Screen is still blank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this worked for me too. 

When I launch ADE, it appears on the task bar and seems unresponsive. 
For some reason, it launches as minimized. Move the mouse over ADE on the task bar and it provides a small preview. Right-click on the top of this preview pane and select maximize. ADE is visible and you can access your books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 and my Adobe Digital editions 4.5.1 will not open, all I get is  blank box/window. I have tried everything I could find on the Support Community. Any recommendations on where I go from here?

Carlh2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  It has been a couple months since your post.  Has it been resolved?  If so, what process worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since a couple of days. Searched where to rename My digital editions... But I did not manage it (Windoows 10) Thank you for your advices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Digital Editions not opening after Windows 10 updates.  Renaming the program in the folder does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be d..d. This post is over two years old and the solution still works. It worked for me, I installed ADE 4.5.11 yesterday, started reading a boon, today I could not open ADE until I renamed the folder. Haven't the"smart gurus" at Adobe  realized this glitch? Thank you to Nanaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution doesn't work for me.

I still can't use ADE, it has been over 2 years, come on Adobe fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 4.5.11 and am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to 4.0 and thankfully that worked.

Wake up Adobe, I would use more of your products if you listened to users and fixed the bugs in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines