• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions keeps freezing when I try to open/read an acsm file. [2016]

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first got Adobe Digital Editions when I bought a book off of Books-a-million and needed it to read the file. It worked fine then. But recently, I wanted to re-read the book, I opened Adobe Digital Editions and it froze, giving me the classic Program not Responding message. I updated the program. I authorized my computer again. I removed the book from the library and brought it back in. It still won't open. I've tried with another ACSM file and it still freezes. I just end up closing it and opening it again and it still won't open. I don't remember if I downloaded the book and program when I had Windows 10 or not. But the second ACSM file I downloaded a week ago still doesn't work.

No matter what Adobe Digital Editions still freezes. I've gotten it to open plain EPUB files, but it won't open any ACSM files. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, can you give me a hand so I can fix it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Digital Edition.
Rename the My Digital Edition folder under your Documents to My Digital Edition.old.

Restart the software and try to download the eBook again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, easy and effective.
I had the same problem with freezing after the 'Loading' pop with acsm files;  following this fix, worked first time.

Thank you for this simple solution, I hope it works for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nanaky, you're my savior!

How come Adobe won't fix a 7 year old bug!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues, now trying with ADE 4.5.8...no luck, using an Ontario, Canada library, have had some success in the past, the odd file seemed 'corrupted'...now, nothing. The library part of the download is working properly, but when I click on the .acsm file, ADE stalls, and finally I get (Not Responding) message....and this...has become very consistent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm running version 4.5.9.184862. It used to work when borrowing ACSM files from our public library (in Canada as well). The last 3 books over the past week downloaded and created stubs in ADE, but ADE crashes before completing. When I restart ADE I see the stubs, but if I click Read on any of them ADE crashes again, and again.

I tried removing the stubs, but they keep coming back like ghosts. I renamed the My Digital Edition folder, as suggested above by Nanaky, all other books disappear, but the ghost stubs of the last 3 borrowed books keep coming back.

I uninstalled and cleaned the registry (Windows 10) best I could, restarted and reinstalled, but the ghosts stubs remain and borrowing more books keep crashing ADE. I don't know what else I can do at this point.  I am about to give up on Adobe Digital Edition as unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there!

did you have any luck getting you ADE to work? im having the same 'not responding' problem as you. if you got it working, could you please share with me how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same issue. Has so far taken me 4 hrs to try and read the books I bought. I have books that I purchased a long time ago on an older version. They work fine. Very disappointed that I bought books from my favorite book store and cant read them. So far I have not found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still same problem in 2022.  Renaming the folder and restarting didn't work.

On Windows 10.

I noticed in task manager that the installer process had not terminated yet, even though there was no other sign of it.

Killed that- renamed folder again, restarted- still same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines