Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open DRM ebooks on Kobo Glo

Dec 29, 2012 Dec 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave my mom a Kobo Glo for Christmas, but I can't get Adobe Digital Editions to work with it properly. I installed ADE 2.0 on her Windows XP machine and it recognized and authorized the Kobo, but when I try to open a library book on the Kobo, the cover appears and then the screen goes black and I'm returned to the main menu. The book is then marked as Finished.

Other DRMed books on her Kobo (free ones from the Kobo Store) won't open, but display an error message: "Oops! This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID [etc]..."

I've tried some of the suggestions I've seen here, including deleting the authorization on the device and reconnecting. I've also tried deleting the Digital Editions folder on the Kobo and reconnecting. Nothing appears to be resolving this problem.

I guess the next step would be to revert the Kobo back to factory and start all over. Any other suggestions?

J> (on behalf of my mom on this Adobe profile)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Yes it was extremely frustrating process to read any library books after the upgrade to Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.

Eventually it turned out that the process must have you sign out of the Kobo device Account under settings on the Kobo Device.

What we did was to remove all library books from the Kobo device and from the Adobe Digital Edition

Next was to sign out of the Kobo Device as well as the Kobo Desktop on the PC as well as exiting from Adobe Digital Edition.

Next was to start up Kobo Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all. this is my first post. im having the same problems with my brand new kobo glo.if i download a library book i can read it on the computer  i can trans fair it to kobo but the kobo wont open it the message reads that the device is not authorized. i have tried resetting the kobo, i have uninstalled the kobo app off the computer and started again i have tried two older versions of ADR  the only thing i have noticed is that the adobe id,s ( the bit in brackets ) isn't the same for the computer and the kobo. one starts urn ( u r n )  the other starts um ( u m ) I think this may be the problem but i don't know how to correct it as the adobe id in brackets is created by program on the computer. i hope someone can resolve this as i only  bought the kobo so that i can read library books. thanks Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are 2 solutions:

1. Change another Adobe ID. Register a new Adobe ID that keep the same with your eBooks account email address.

Then ADE can sync your books because they are the same ID.

2. Remove Adobe DRM. Use a tool DRM Removal to remove adobe drm, then your books get free, you can copy them to your ereaders and even share books with your friends and families.

http://www.epubor.com/remove-drm-from-adobe.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2 big issues are that Adobe instructions are usually useless and frequently wrong, and the KOBO software and UI is quite simply a disaster.

The only software I know that is actually WORSE then I Tunes for Windows [and that's really BAD!].

I also bought a KOBO so I could use Library books, but the process of getting a Library book onto the reader is torturous and unreliable.

Kobo don't give a toss, and Adobe seem incapable of designing anything user friendly.

Does anyone know of an alternative route software wise to get E Pub books onto and e -reader?

Sigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with this same problem for a long time.  Then I discovered that Kobo doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions version 4.  I uninstalled ADE 4, deleted all the associated files from my Kobo, and downloaded ADE 3.0.  Everything now works perfectly.  Hope this helps some of you.  I know how frustrating it can be when all it needs is a simple warning that neither Kobo nor Adobe could be bothered to supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have solved the issue regarding Kobo’s inability to open DRM protected books from the library. Like everyone, I was pulling out my hair trying to solve this mystery. (Kobo truly offered no help at all..and the support person new absolutely nothing about Mac computers.)

This should apply to both PC and Mac users. Note: I am using ADE 3.0

These are the steps that worked for me.

1)Connect Kobo to the computer

2)Download your book from the public library (select EPub version)

3)When download completes..open the file.

4)ADE opens up - click on Library (top left corner of screen)

5)Select your book from the right side and right click on it

6)Select “Copy to Computer/Device>Kobo EReader” from dropdown menu

7)When done...eject Kobo properly from computer. Wait till Kobo finishes processing         

before unplugging from computer. (Not sure if this is necessary...but works for me)

8)Read your book and enjoy

Hope this works for you..it did for me. At least give it a try before going through the whole reset option.

Good Luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After over a year of successful use of the Kobo Glo to borrow and read ebooks from the public library, the Kobo stopped allowing me to do so and gave me the message indicating is was missing authorization. Book would show up with a blank cover.

I contacted ADE and Kobo help and finally resolved the problem based on a suggestion in some user forum. Here is what I did:

Hi all,

I solved my problem by doing something that went beyond the help offered by ADE and Kobo Help desks.
The concept: Remove ALL related software from your computer (ADE, Kobo Desktop) and factory reset the Kobo Glo and reinstall in the precise order below. This order is critical to success.

The steps:

1] with Kobo device disconnected - do a factory reset

2] de-install Adobe Digital Editions Software

3] de-install Kobo Desktop *

4] re-install Kobo Desktop

5] plug Kobo in and allow it to be configured. Do not load any old books

6] disconnect Kobo device and confirm that it DOES NOT have an ADE authorization (it shouldn't because your computer should not have any ADE software on it that could transfer the ADE authorization to the Kobo device.)

7] Download and re-install ADE software.

8] Authorize you computer.

9] connect your KOBO to your computer.

10] Authorize KOBO device

You should find that library books now load properly.

*Conclusion: The problem lies in the KOBO desktop. As the Australian gentleman said, it is glitchy (and very annoying!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem appears to be with ADE 4.0.  After reloading Kobo Desktop and resetting the e-reader to no avail, I contacted Kobo support and was advised to uninstall ADE 4.0 and reloaded version 3.0, which after some difficulties with authorization, now seems to work. Too bad Adobe doesn't publish this info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stuarth1646440 I wished I had stumbled upon your comment before I factory re-setted my Kobo Aura because to my disappointment and frustration, it didn't solve the problem Your method totally worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the answer to this problem.  If you right click on the ADE icon and go to properties to will see a tab called Compatibility.  click on that and do the test.  There have been compatibility issues between Windows and ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where abouts is the ADE icon - is it in File Explorer or when you have ADE open. I have tried both and not found a Compatibility tab. Which version of Windows and which version of ADE are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10.  The icon or picture of Adobe Digital Editions that you double click to open the program should be on your desktop or in your harddrive.  If you right click on it you will get a drop down menu and at the bottom of the list you will see Properties.  Click on that and you will see one of the tabs is Compatibility.  Click on that and do the compatibility test. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the answer to this problem.  If you right click on the ADE icon and go to properties to will see a tab called Compatibility.  click on that and do the test.  There have been compatibility issues between Windows and ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting and puts what I just posted in a new light - not only library books! So the suggestion to complain to both Kobo and Adobe stands. Perhaps thousands of snail mails would work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTF loader is the great platform to learn new things which can help you on this problem.CTF loader is a genuine process by Microsoft which allows users to operate with text support. CTF is known as Collaborative Translation Framework and that helps with all the input tools on Microsoft pc.

https://softwareinspect.com/what-is-ctf-loader-and-how-to-disable-ctfmon-exe/ 

We hope this article will help you find all the answers regarding what is CTF loader and how to fix ctfmon.exe. We have mentioned three ways to stop CTF loader in this article and it won’t affect the computer system as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by using your computer always check of its heating issues.

The computer fans not only help your Computer to cool down, but you can also control the speed and efficiency of the Fan with few clicks.
The Software provides all the details regarding the system’s fan speed and temperature to prevent overheating

pc fan controller software 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might face an annoying error with Dns_probe_finished_bad_config while surfing on the internet.The DNS PROBE can be solved without any hard efforts, to solve it you don’t have to be a tech expert just need basic information.

dns probe finished bad config 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines