• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 4.5 won't open, Windows 7

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a text book in ebook form and the only program they allow to open it is Adobe Digital Editions. When I downloaded Digital Editions 4.5 the installation happened without a problem, but trying to actually open the program is impossible. Nothing even happens. So after research online and quite a few attempts to work around this problem or maybe download an older version, my last effort was to post to the forms. None of those options fixed my problem. Now after many installs and uninstalls I've turned to here. Two weeks into my semester and I haven't been able to read the book, I should've spent a little bit more and had the physical book mailed to me, figured this would've been easier and cheaper. Guess not...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on Digital Edition and choose run as admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows XP ans have a similar issue. O have tried an older version, after experiencing trouble with the later ones but nothing changes: I get a message like "an error has occurred while opening the program" and it won't open. Please help. I tried installing the app on my mobile phone but it's not available for my device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Edition 4.5 are to new for Windows 10. Should install 2.0 or 1.7.3.

Adobe Digital Editions downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed 4.5 on my computer (Windows 7) because it kept popping up about updating the program.

But now it won't open the program. I have tried removing it, restarting my computer and reinstalling the program. But nothing has happened. It doesn't even pop with with an error-message - Nothing at all happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you try: Right click on Digital Edition and choose run as admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try that and it still did not work.

I have removed 4.5 and installed 3.0 which is working.

Do you know when I'll be able to use 4.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now. But I am pleased that it comes with 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now? So there isn't a problem with 4.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry make i mistake. I mean no. The 4.5 Version seems have any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem in Windows 10... Used to work until recently.. Tried running as admin... Also reinstalled... Updated Windows... nothing works.. Windows seeks permission for DE to make changes to the computer.. but then nothing happens..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Windows 10 and nothing work - even trying Run as Admin. Did work for 2 days then nothing. Bizzare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with version 4.5 but I have been able to open it with 'Run as Administrator.' Creating a shortcut with option to run as administrator set does not even work. I must right-click on launch tile and select 'Run as administrator' from the 'More' menu. I am running Windows 10 with the Anniversary update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Windows 10. It worked for a few days.... Any clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got ADE 4.5.2 to work on my Windows 7 computer. After trying everything here and on another thread, I deleted ADE, moved my entire My Digital Editions folder to an external drive, reinstalled ADE without using the Migrate function and it worked. I have downloaded 2 Overdrive books from the library.

However, all the books that had been downloaded from the library before this mess happened will not download again. If I transfer them from My Digital Editions to ADE they will not open. I will either have to wait to get back on the hold list or read them with Overdrive Read, stuck sitting at my desk.

And there is no way to return the books checked out before this mess to the library early so I can't even put them back on hold until they expire in 1 - 20 days.

I am seriously unhappy with both ADE and Overdrive, both the products and the lack of useful help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying everything else, this finally helped - thanks for posting!

for the books you already downloaded, you might try moving the files to a different folder and then click and drag it into ADE - that's worked for me in the past.

You can also re-download the books from your library and see if the new copy will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have finally found solution:

1) Delete: My Digital Editions folder localed in Documents

2) Reinstall Digital Editions 4.5

3) Open software and you will see that is not showing window, I've noticed that is minimized, so make click in Digital Editions button (taskbar) and press in your keyboard Alt + (Spacebar), you'll see an option to RESTORE, press letter that is underlined and Digital Editions 4.5 should display in your screen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying to get Digital Editions to open for 30 mins and then reading all the problems others have encountered, there is only one clear way forward to me which is to go and buy my text book from a book shop and demand a refund from the seller of the 'ebook'. I am using a work computer and had to incur an internal charge of $80 to have this junk software installed on my computer. I am unable uninstall & re-install or do anything that requires admin access. So all I can do is leave my observations here. My observation is that the internet has been a mature technology for 20 years. So buying a book over the internet that I can read on my screen should be the simplest thing in the world. Not so. This is the first time I've purchased an 'e-book'. I thought it would be much more convenient than a regular text. How wrong I was. It's taken weeks to get the text open - my IT department took days to download Digital Editions. Then the vendor of the e book, Lexis Nexis, had licensing issues with Digital Editions and I had to wait a few more days. And now, as I madly scramble to catch up with my course, I find that Digital Editions will simply not open after 3 days of working properly. What a nightmare. The final sting in the tail is that the book, which costs about $100 in a store was $190 as an ebook (I live in Australia, our dollars are about 75% of yours but we have a strange economy in which we all get paid quite well, but everything we buy is tremendously expensive compared to other first world countries). $190 for a 220 page text. Anyway, I'm going to go to a book shop and buy the book so that I can finish my course. Best of luck to anyone who has tried to use Digital Editions and ended up here. You're not alone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I can't open ADE. I run windows 7. A long time ago it ran perfectly. Now It doesn't work. I tryed every version. Also no error-message. Everything above....nothing.

Does anybody has another idea?

(Enlish is not my first language so foregive me if I write things wrong).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Try the standalone installer for version 4.0.98786 at https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

This page gives a *.zip file, which needs extracting. However, I can read my book now.

Come on Adobe, all the ADE users need some support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reaction. Unfortenately it doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I got the same problem in Windows 7, I found a solution that worked for me:

Digital Editions appears minimized, it means you can see the icon under the bar but you cannot maximize it, right?

If that is your problem, just put the mouse over the Icon on the bar, wait the miniature of digital editions to pop out and then with the mouse over the "miniature" click on "maximize". That worked for me, please let me know if that helped you.

Cheers,

e.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I got the same problem in Windows 7, I found a solution that worked for me:

Digital Editions appears minimized, it means you can see the icon under the bar but you cannot maximize it, right?

If that is your problem, just put the mouse over the Icon on the bar, wait the miniature of digital editions to pop out and then with the mouse over the "miniature" click on "maximize". That worked for me, please let me know if that helped you.

Cheers,

e.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. It doesn't appear minimized. When I dubbleclick to open the program the following happens: For a very brief moment you see the turning circle (you see with every program you open) and then nothing.

Greetz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the following solution from Kobo Customer Support: Irais E. Thank you Irais! THIS WORKED FOR ME, after trying all the other solution ideas I could find in these forums (without success). I am using Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 and Windows 10.

Locate folder "My Digital Editions" (on my laptop), and delete all contents in the sub-folders (Annotations, Manifest, Restore (found empty), Tags, Thumbnails). Now I was able to open ADE and re-authorize ADE. I then synced my Kobo with the Kobo desktop program, which authorized my Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines