May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need detailed instructions, please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Install Winetricks.

2. When you open WineTricks you'll see a menu asking "what do you want to do?", you need to select the 'install an app' option. In the next screen select Adobe Digital Editions - 2011. Then just install Digital Editions as before; which is easier if you have your Adobe ID to hand.

3. Leave Digital Editions open. Then open Firefox and find and click a download link for an epub encumbered by Digital Editions.

4. In the download dialogue box select "Download with Digital Editions" and check the "Do this automatically..." option.

5. Install Calibre from the software centre or from the Calibre website. It's better to install the current version from the website.

6. Open Calibre. Use the big + button in Calibre to import the e-book from your My Digital Editions folder to your Calibre library. After connecting your e-reader to your PC by USB you use the 'Send to device' button to copy the e-book to your e-reader. I know this is a bit of a bother, but it's necessary as it's impossible or difficult to get the wine version of Digital Editions to recognise the e-reader.

7. Optional: install cuttlefish and instruct it to open Calibre when you connect your e-reader to the PC via USB.

Hope this helps. Happy to suggest other options if you get stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all- is there any way to ask Adobe to support Linux with Digital Editions? I couldn't find a way to contact Adobe Support directly to ask them.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue, trying to contact Adobe regarding Digital Edition sends me to this forum. Would like to be able to add a request for Linux support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method described here doesn't solve DRM issue.

" it's impossible or difficult to get the wine version of Digital Editions to recognise the e-reader."

It doesn't seem to be like this right now (using wine 8.0):

the solution is to use winwcfg command as described here 

Hope this can help someone arriving here and Adobe for not giving Linux Support for 'Adobe Digital Edition', being the only way to legally manage DRM protected resources.

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just moved to Linux Mint from Win 7.  I have been trying, without sucess to install ADE via Wine and download library books.  (It installs but will not download library books.)  I wish Adobe would develop a LInux version of ADE. ( I have also tried using my android phone: the new version of ADE on Playstore is not caommaptible with my phone; an older version installs but will not let me register my device.)

My sight means I do not want to read library boks on my pc.  I need to transfer them to my Nook ereader and can only do this if I can download the epub file from the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines