Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot authorize my computer for Adobe Digital Editions

Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to authorize my computer for Adobe Digital Editions, but I got an error message saying that I cannot use an ID that has already been used to authorize another device (I have previously authorized my laptop with this ID). The error message makes no sense to me since the whole point of authorization is to be able to read books on several devices.

When I try to open my Ebook without authorization, I get the E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER error so that is not an option either.

Can someone please help me solve this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

For the authorization see below.

BUT if you have already accessed new books while not authorized check point 2 BEFORE REAUTHORIZATION

otherwise you may regain access to the old books, but lose access to the new ones for ever.

1) ~~~~~

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help, and indeed installation can even trigger this state.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the authorization see below.

BUT if you have already accessed new books while not authorized check point 2 BEFORE REAUTHORIZATION

otherwise you may regain access to the old books, but lose access to the new ones for ever.

1) ~~~~~

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help, and indeed installation can even trigger this state.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

Another is  "E_AUTH_NOT_READY"

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

2)  ~~~~

Running without authorization is a vicious trap that Adobe lays for unsuspecting customers.

They do give very mild warnings, but not nearly strong enough.

When you register 'without ID', ADE creates an anonymous/implicit ID with limited powers (eg can't be used to share with other devices).

Whenever you first load a DRM book, that copy of the book is associated with whatever ID the computer is registered to at the time.

Any book you load while this anonymous ID is active gets associated with that ID, and can't be read on any other device.

When you properly register your computer with a real ID, that old anonymous ID is lost.

Now you don't have any devices that can read the book.

The only way I know round this is to use a DRM stripper such as epubee BEFORE you deauthorize the device.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation,

such a measure is totally justifiable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Removing the authorization and reauthorizing solved the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you remove authorization?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see post 1 above.  A stupidly hidden feature or ADE

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you didn't work first time I tried it  - problem solved and now authorized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a Connection Error warning.  "Digital Editions could not connect to the activation server. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet."  I have had to wipe my computer clean and reinstall all programs.  I now cannot download books  without getting this error.  I am using Google Chrome and have an active ID and password with Adobe.  I tried the ctrl-shift-d but it did not work.    Any suggestions would help.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing a lot more reading on this forum, I found the answer to my problem.  I uninstalled ADE Version 4.0 and installed ADE Version 3 and I was able to authorize my computer and download books to my Kobo.  I'm not sure if this will help with any other problems on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac 10.6.8 and have tried all available versions of ADE to authorize my computer. I get a message saying ADE will only work with newer Macs - above 10.6! What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install a older version of Digital Edition: Adobe Digital Editions downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Trashing the authorization file did the trick.  Annoying!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I erase the authorization and reenter it, will I still have access to the licensed textbook that is currently linked to the authorization?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of the above still nothing. I have a new PC with Widows 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have some Adobe DRM authorisations on devices that we no longer have and we now can not authorize new devices. So I've been looking all over my account settings to see how I can remove a few or all devices from my account. That should enable me to add alle the current devices (again) to my Adobe DRM account. Anyone got the solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset the activation contact customer support chat https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=ADE_adobe-id-signing-in_stillNeedHelp and ask for reset of adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and can't figure out how to solve it. Can somebody help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines