• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to read library books in ADE 4.5.1.133054 on my Macbook running OSX 10.11.2, and I have no problem transferring files to my Kobo. But when I try to open them on my Kobo, I get the message: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened" due to DRM issues.

My Macbook and Kobo both have the same valid adobe ID authorization. I can also download and open Toronto library books onto my iPad and read them in the Overdrive app. 

I have done a factory reset on my Kobo, ensured that the Kobo is running the latest version, uninstalled and re-installed ADE on my Macbook, deauthorized and reauthorized both my Macbook and Kobo. Nothing has worked.I am stuck!

The problem is recent. Previously I never had any difficulties transferring books from my desktop ADE to my Kobo and reading them on my Kobo.  Do any readers out there have any suggestions?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I found the following worked (for the benefit of anyone else who comes across this post):

- deauthorized my computer while ADE 4.5 was still installed

- uninstalled ADE 4.5

- renamed and moved the Digital Editions folder so there could be no possibility of reusing any files in that folder

- downloaded and installed ADE 3.0 found here: Adobe Digital Editions downloads

- authorized my computer

After doing the above, library books downloaded to my computer using ADE 3.0, and then transferred to my Kobo Glo, I am now able to open and read on my Kobo Glo. HURRAY!!

Note that I did not need to deauthorize / reauthorize my Kobo Glo.

Lesson learned: never never never install a newer version of ADE!!

Thanks for your help Nanaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh so many people are reverting to ADE 3.0, but that appears to be totally unnecessary.  Here is what I did on ADE 4.5 and it worked for me:

If you’re having trouble getting library books on a kobo (quite probably a new one because changing things typically causes problems), try deleting all authorizations - (on your computer and on your ereader, but keep the ereader connected.)  Then go to your public library website and get a NEW book - (something about trying to open a book that you already took out somewhere, causes a glitch - for example if you previously opened a book on a tablet or phone, then that’s it - there will very very likely be NO OPENING it elsewhere, so make sure it is a newly borrowed one. If you are out of new borrows, you will have to use adobe digital editions to RETURN one your digital library books.  CLOSE and reopen ADE so that the return definitely happens).  After deleting all, authorizations (check in all locations to make sure it shows no authorizations), download the new book to your saving spot,  then click it to make it open in adobe digital editions:  Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. Use the drag down menu to find your library’s license type, for me it is Overdrive. Then enter your (Overdrive) email address and password. This should cause the book to open AND it also should cause your connected ereader to become authorized at the same time.  Click the back button at the top and then click your ereader, and then it’s gear sign to look to see if the ereader is also authorized. Even if it is not authorized, try dragging the new book onto it.  This should work immediately (as it did for me), or it should ask for an authorization.  You can then click on the ereader (not on all items) and see if you can open the book as it sits in the ereader area.  If it opens there, you should be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unauthorized my computer and my kobo aura device from adobe digital editions.

Uninstalled adobe digital 4.5 version.

Downloaded the adobe 3 edition

Downloaded a new e-book from my library that I have never downloaded. It loaded fine

Then downloaded and transferred a book I was having issues loading to my e-reader and it loaded fine FINALLY.

It's as if the loading on the new e-book from the library created a new path to loading books!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2016 Oct 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Maureen, this worked perfectly for me (delete authorisations on Kobo and Mac, borrow new book to trigger re-authorisation on Mac (no need to reauthorise on Kobo, guess that syncs automatically)).

Now for some reading at last 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maureen, ran into the problem myself today, tried your solution and works like a treat now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much - this worked for me with my Mac/kobo combination - couldn't afford to remove Adobe Digital editions 4.5, since I had stopped being able to download anything to ADE 3, so was very frustrated and this worked (so far!) great - thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS! Thank you Maureen! After days of troubleshooting (I tried everything that has been discussed in this and similar threads) this is what worked for me. Until now I hadn't noticed the drop down menu when prompted to enter my Adobe ID. My library also uses Overdrive, so I scrolled the drop down, found Overdrive and entered my Overdrive username and ID (rather than my Adobe ID - the default prompt). Be warned that even after this, the transfer of library books was finicky. It worked well with a single book at a time (ie. download epub from library, open in ADE, transfer to Kobo and repeat). After trying to copy multiple books to my kobo at one time I ended up with the "oops!" error message again.

I would like to add that version 4.5 worked for me just fine with Adobe ID for one, maybe two downloads, and then I started getting the error message. Why so random?

UPDATE: Not working again. I am so DONE. This has taken away a week of my life. I am returning my kobo as soon as I find the receipt.

I am really surprised at Adobe for not figuring out how to streamline this process. I am normally a big fan of their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angie,

I have sent you an email. Please respond back to the email so that we can proceed and troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded a book from my local library i have been doing this for years. i am using ADE 3.0 and a KOBO touch., It has been working fine and I checked and everything is authorized. I got this error: Oops! This document couldn't b opened this document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. I have tried the fixes in the forum and nothing worked. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you help I have done everything in the forum. uninstalled ADE 3.0 (PC windows 10) (i had a different problem in december and the upgrade was not the answer) , the regedit delete the authorization for the computer and the ereader. restarted multiple times. reauthorized several times. I even tried downloading the book from another library. still this  Oops! This document couldn't be opened this document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. I have tried the fixes in the forum and nothing worked. I tried the chat but this is an unsupported product. I get library books at least weekly and really want to be able to read them on my kobo ereader.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have tried everything mentioned in the previous posts.  I feel there has to be some glitch between Kobo and ADE because I downloaded ADE 3.0 to my iPad mini and downloaded books from the Library and it worked like a charm.  I downloaded books to my Kobo Touch for years with no problem.  The computer experts at Kobo and ADE need to put their heads together and fix this glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ajit,

PLEASE HELP!  I see you offered to assist Angie and I am also having severe issues with my Kobo Touch.  I was able to successfully download the book into ADE (both versions - see below) and move it into my Kobo.  When trying to read them on the Kobo Touch I receive the following message:

• Oops! This document couldn't be opened
    This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again.

I did what many others have suggested in many forums.  I did a factory reset of my Kobo Touch.  I have authorized, de- authorized and reauthorized multiple times (both the Kobo Touch and my computer).  I removed the book from my library on the Kobo and on the computer.  I went to My Digital Downloads in My Documents and deleted the books from there.  I uninstalled and reinstalled ADE 4.? and then thought since this is an older Kobo maybe I needed an older version of ADE and then installed 3.0.  I tried getting out a new book to see if that would help (as was suggested as well).

I went to my library and they said they would get back to me.  I also "chatted" with Kobo and they said I would need to address it with Adobe (which is pretty much impossible since you don't have customer service for your free products).

I also tried authorizing (as suggested twice and it did work for two people) it with Overdrive, but now it's not recognizing my authorization so I am now unable to download the book into ADE or return it to the library whether I sign in with my Adobe ID or my Overdrive ID!  Uggh!!  So I can't even read it on another device

It is additionally frustrating that not only is it apparent this has been an issue for a long time but there is no help for this issue on your troubleshooting page (and I did try the troubleshoot you have for error messages even though this message wasn't one of them) and we cannot receive assistance from customer service.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was finally able to return the books to the library but still can't read them on my Kobo.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this. While it's a bit convoluted, it does work. And it's very nice that there is no need, after all, to downgrade to ADE3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me for replying to myself... the solution that finally worked for me is this one outlined by Maureen (last year! how unbelievable that this has been going on for so long)

Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  What  along history this problem has!  A real Kobo-ADE ding-dong!

The only solution that's worked for me so far (since 2017April) = 2) SKIP KOBO UPDATE after 1) FACTORY RESET.

Pro = can read library bks that previously oops'd (and without abandoning ADE 5)

Con = no new reader features inc. no manual bookmarking, which I found v. useful + no Blockit puzzle, which hooked me!

Stephen

Update 1hr later:

...or better solution that works for me*=ADE version 3.  Thanks to usersjc99 Feb 29, 2016  for that suggestion.

*...after uninst'ing ver5 + deauthorising PC + reader +downloading library book with ereader connected.

Not sure which if any of these are necessary.

I wonder if the problem will re-emerge if and when I update the reader...?

- which I had concluded from my earlier experiments was the problem.

...Or maybe I'll never update it!...

which would stop me ever syncing my reader online or getting any more Kobo sample books;

but that ain't any loss to me
+ I can dwnload books from Kobo MyBooks by another route without syncing / updating reader.

So thanks guys for your Forum perambulations!

Update June22:

What does this say about Kobo? (and Adobe?):

I suggested to Kobo about 2 weeks ago that they might like to see this update - but I've had no response.

I thought they might like to see how to resolve this issue for other users - silly me! -

following my ongoing still-open help-request with them (started approx. 3months ago) -which they couldn't resolve even though the tried (it seemed).

So I conclude Kobo don't want to resolve the issue!

- since not being able to read library e-books makes users more likely that users will buy their e-books.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several agonized times updating, sync'ing, rebooting, logging-off, logging-on, deleting, re-uploading Digital Reads and/or Kobo and/or books several times, as well as visiting this forum as well as the Kobo forum, I finally discovered a viable reply from Maureen, who outlined how to fix the problem of library books suddenly being inexplicably unauthorized:

Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

With the following list, I am paraphrasing Maureen's excellent advice that finally released me from my anguish:

1. Delete the problem book(s) from your ereader.
  2. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Check to see if you can read the problem book(s) in ADE. Connect your e-reader. Erase authorization on ADE (Go to the Help Menu at the top). Erase the authorization for the ereader (go to the side menu of ADE). Keep the e-reader connected to the computer.
  3. Go to your public library website and get a NEW book. Upload the new book to ADE. Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. If it doesn't, go back to "help" at the top and reauthorize ADE. Go to the side menu of ADE to re-authorize your ereader.
  4. Drag the new book into your e-reader. Select "ereader" (ie: NOT all items, or borrowed items, or...). Try opening the book in the ereader area. If it opens there, it's likely that it will open in your e-reader.
  5. Re-upload what were the problem book(s) to your e-reader. Again, select "ereader" in ADE and check that the book(s) can be read there.
  6. Disconnect your e-reader from the computer. Be able to read your book(s) at last!

Please note that this really works. You can freely update your devices to their latest versions. The only really hard part about it is choosing another library book. Not exactly hard....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoever you are, you are my hero!!  I followed your instructions, and it was a brilliant success!  Thank you so much, and happy reading!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Only worked for one book -the first

the next one show up in kobo but not allowed to open

Will I have to  follow all the steps for every book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to know that this procedure will work ONLY with Overdrive. If your library provides Ebook from other databases, it will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you have to know that this procedure will work ONLY with Overdrive. If your library provides Ebook from other databases, it will not work.

By @helenetheroux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work fine with me if and only if I removed the authorization on the Kobo glo reader and then I transfer the epub via Adobe Digital Editions.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines