• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Downloading EPUB books from Libby App

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Libby app to download library books in EPUB format for over a year, with no problems.  Once I check out the book, I select the EPUB format and the web browser (Firefox several recent versions over the past year, running under Windows 10) downloads the ACSM file.  Firefox then automatically opens the ACSM file, which launches Adobe Digital Editions (ADE, currently Version 4.5), which then fulfills the EPUB book file.  No problems.  Then I recently got a newer, much faster Windows 11 machine.  On the new machine, I noticed that with the exact same procedure described above, ADE would often return the error "Unable to download. Error getting License. License server Communication Problem: FILE_DOESNOT_EXIST" -- but only if ADE was already open (for example, if this was the SECOND book I was trying to download).  If I refreshed the book download page, everything would work normally, just the way it used to.  Now and then, I had to refresh the Libby download page two, or even more times, in order for ADE to successfully fulfill the EPUB file.  Then it got worse, and even multiple refreshes of the page did not help.  I finally figured out a workaround, which was to exit from ADE after each download, so that for each subsequent download, ADE had to start up again.  The several-second delay while ADE started up seemed to be all that was needed for the EPUB file to be fulfilled.  Still, it's annoying to have to exit from ADE every single time, and then wait while it starts up again, every single time I want to download a Libby EPUB book.  My working theory is that the new machine is too fast -- that if ADE is already open when I try to fulfill the next book, it happens so quickly that some necessary step with the license for the EPUB file has not taken place yet.  That's why closing the app each time helps -- because it delays things just enough for the crucial license step to take place.  Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?  (You'll probably only see it on a relatively fast PC.)  Is Adobe aware of this issue?  If so, are they working on a fix?  Not sure if the issue is really with ADE or with Adobe Cloud servers being too slow, assuming that that's where Libby/Overdrive stores their EPUB content.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the ADE support web page (https://helpx.adobe.com/support/digital-editions.html) and searched for the key phrase in the error message: "FILE_DOESNOT_EXIST".  My search did not yield any results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and the chat human was of no use.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be really great if someone from Adobe would at least acknowledge that the problem exists!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interestingly, this problem eventually went away for me, without my taking any action (that I know of).  So, either the "fix" was an accidental side-effect of some other change on the PC, or what happened was that over the course of several months, my new, fast PC slowed down enough (as always happens) that the necessary delay was in place.

So, "good" news -- as your fast computer gets bogged down with junk and slows down, this problem will probably go away!  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines