Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solved: error code E_ACT_NOT_READY on Mac

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an update with an answer to my problem with the error code on the Mac:

I decided to trash ADE version 2.0 and went back to version 1.7.2, which is available at http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html. I downloaded the version for Mac on Intel-based computers. Just be sure that you delete the ADE version 2.0 before you download version 1.7.2.

This solved the problem---no error code and the ACSM file downloaded to Digital Editions without a hitch. I was able to drop it in my Nook library and all is well. Thank goodness.

Hope that this information helps other Mac users.

Original problem and question:

I have a new Mac Air and have downloaded the Mac version of Digital Editions 2.0 to my computer so I can download books from the public library onto my Nook. Digital Editions installed without a problem and I can see my library (I have used Digital Editions on my old Mac laptop for 2 years).

However, now when I try to download a book from the public library (ACSM file) on my new computer I get the message "error code E_ACT_NOT_READY." I had no problems downloading ACSM files on my old computer. What is the issue here? Most frustrating.

Should I try to download the previous version of ADE (instead of 2.0)? Can I even download that version to a Mac Air?

I have searched the forums and, while several people have asked about this error code, I have not found an answer to the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Message was edited by: bdmerriam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Hi bdmerriam,

Please follow the instructions given in the link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/error-e_act_not_ready.html

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bdmerriam,

Please follow the instructions given in the link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/error-e_act_not_ready.html

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find where I can download ADE version 1.7.2. on my new MacBook Air.  The link provided only allows access to version 4.2 (which didn't work - same error message as with version 4.5 i.e. E_ACT_NOT_READY).

So frustrating.  Any help appreciated.

fp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solving the "E_ACT_NOT_READY" error code can be more complicated than the standard solution of de-authorizing and then re-authorizing your computer. When I tried this, I was not allowed to de-authorize my computer and was told to try again later. But later, even days later, did not work. The only way to de-authorize my computer was to manually erase the "activation.dat" file for Adobe Digital Editions. To do this on a Mac, complete the following steps:

1. 1.Go to  your User Home Folder (the one with the house icon).
  2. Choose the Library folder. If you are unable to follow this or the next steps, it means you have hidden library folders and files. To access these folders and files, under the "Go" menu in Finder, choose "Go to Folder" (Shift-Cmd-G). Type in the following command, "~/Library" and now everything will be visible.

3 Choose the sub-folder Application Support and within this folder find the sub-folder Adobe.

1. In the Adobe folder search for and open the Digital Editions sub-folder. At this point, you will see at the bottom of the Finder window, something very similar to the following location path: Macintosh HD>Users>User name>Library>Applications Support>Adobe>Digital Editions.
  2. In the Digital Editions folder find the file "activation.dat" and move it to the trash.
  3. Start up or return to the Adobe Digital Editions app and in the Help menu choose "Authorize Computer."

After doing this I was able to open ebooks that I had loaned from a library without changing any further parameters for my account. If you still have problems, I suggest the further steps:

• Erase older versions of Adobe Digital Editions. I had already done that in previous unsuccessful attempts to solve the problem.
  • Check your ID. I use my Adobe ID to gain access to several library collections of ebooks. You may find that the publisher of your ebook requires a different and specific ID. It seems that you can have different IDs for different ebook sources and you can set this up when you authorize your computer
  • Check in the Digital Editions folder of your Mac Library that you have only one copy of your activation ID. This is is a long filename of hexadecimal numbers (ordinary numbers plus the six letters a,b,c,d,e,f). Check that it matches the date and time of the "activation.dat" file. This filename is the same as the same as the hexadecimal number that shows up as the "urn:uuid" when you choose "Authorization Information" in the Help menu of Adobe Digital Editions. I think that an erased or corrupted version of this file was why Adobe DIgital Editions stopped opening my ebooks in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Deauthorizing and reauthorizing in the way you describe it solved it. Thanx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful, thanks especially how to find 'library'. On re-opening Adobe there was still no possibility of reauthorising, so I went to the download link and clicked 'open with' and then the request for authorisation arrived.

Ten ticks for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:  I'm having the same issue with ADE 4.5 on my new MacBookAir.  I transferrred all my files from my old Mac using TimeMachine, and now I find I can't download books from my public library; I get the same message as others have reported.  I tried to find the authorization file in Library but there was no sign of an Adobe sub-directory anywhere on the HD.  I'm a bit stuck now.  Any thoughts?  Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I had the same problem and could solve it with your description! Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. A new iMac. Impossible to deactivate and re-activate Adobe. All instructions followed. No success. I did de-activate the Adobe on the previous iMac (when connected to the internet). But that does not help either.

Now stuck. No possibility to open digital bools anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this! I was looking for weeks to solve this and now thx to you I did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines