• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE 3, 4, 4.5 won't launch, Windows 10

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe digital editions has worked for years, so some update/corruption has probably caused my problem.

Adobe digital editions 3.0, 4.0, 4.5 won't launch AFTER completely installing. The error code is 0xc000007b.

I've done the simple things like: open as administrator, reinstall, reboot, no viruses or malware present, sfc, chkdsk, dism, Tweaking's All In One Repair Tool, file associations, etc. 

DWalker's Depends program should diagnose dependencies, file problems, but the program has to open first and it won't.

The latest All In One Runtimes is installed (latest .NET, Visual C++, Direct X, etc).

In system32 I have xinput1_4.dll. I don't know if the 1_3 dll is required? Other dlls- mfc100, mfc100u, msvcp100, msvcr100, msvcr100_clr400 are there. These are also in sysWow32 but not the xinput1_4. Should this be there?

Don't know where to go from here but I need ADE to download library books.

There are many on line discussions/Utube videos about conflicts between Win10 and ADE.

thanks,

Gary

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

My third chkdsk and sfc runs must have corrected a system error. ADE now loads and runs

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you all version install to the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not. Only one version at a time, each removed with Win 10 uninstall program and rebooted. You're thinking much too simple. Please reread my post- I'm way beyond such simple solutions. Thanks but LIST each of my attempted fixes and then I will WELCOME your suggestions. I'm stumped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One suggestion is about these dll files that I stated WRONG in my first post. I

1. In system32 and sysWOW32:  mfc100, mfc100u, msvcp100 msvcr100, msvcr100_clr400

I also have xinput1_1, 1_2, 1_3, 1_4, 9_1_0, Uap.

I don't know if these are important for ADE to launch/run? Any comment about these dll files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggestion is to find this dll file in system32 and sysWOW32 and delete it:

D3DX9_43.DLL

Comment about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the main ADE install folder, there are 10 folders that have these two dll files:

digitaleditions.resources.dll

migration.resources.dll

Neither of these dll files are in system32 or sysWOW32 folders.

Should they be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried going to safe mode and installed, then removed 3.0, then 4.5. Neither would launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed that my Kindle app won't open. Acts the same as ADE. Ran as admin. Tried older version.

Uninstalled Overdrive- no different.

What do these ereader programs have in common to load??

What files do they go get to open??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got 4.51 to open. Next problem: E_adept_request_expired. Here's what I've done:

1. uninstall ADE

2. export Adept reg key

3. delete same reg key

4.reboot

5. re-install 4.5 as admin; install details show "completed"

6. open ADE, library view

7. ctrl-shift-D to delete activation; no message, so not activated

8. associate acsm and epub files with ADE

9. download NEWLY requested epub library book, today's date, time and time zone

10. click on acsm file: opens ADE and requests authorization

11. attempt with Adobe ID and Overdrive ID: error msg: E_adept_request_expired

12. authorize without ID doesn't work

13. create Adobe ID and I forgot password don't work and freezes the app.

What step can I next try?

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can manually add an epub book and read it in ADE, no problem, so the program is working, the activation seems to be blocked, probably on my end.

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to move this topic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My third chkdsk and sfc runs must have corrected a system error. ADE now loads and runs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you authorize an e-book to a device or program (ie trying to open it on more than one computer or opening the file thru Overdrive) it counts as already fulfilled and the license is complete.  You don't get a second shot.   To read the title you will have to use whichever device you made your first attempt with or request/renew/borrow the title again from your lender. The only duplication you will get is from ADE on your laptop to your e-reader.  If you try to open a borrowed book anywhere else it will count as an authorization and the license is complete.

I just got a new laptop and had no end of trouble launching ADE 4.5 and Overdrive because there was no default app assigned to open ascm files. I was in an endless loop of installing ADE and wondering why the heck it wouldn't open the files, then discovered it was not prompting me to restart the computer to complete the installation.  I did a manual restart.  Now ADE 4.5.4 shows up as the default app and borrowed titles appear in my downloads with the ADE Icon.  I can click and drag titles to the ADE icon on my desktop and Voila, it shows up in ADE and I can send the title to my e-reader.

Hopefully you will have any acsm default app issues organized and can download it and open with ADE.  Practice downloading to ADE with some titles you don't care about...I lost my access to a title I had on hold for 6 months...and now I have to request it again because I don't want to read it on my laptop.

I don't think e-books can be transferred from Overdrive to an e-reader, sadly, but if I'm wrong I hope someone will enlighten me!

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem.  I have a new laptop loaded with Windows 10.  I could not find ADE 4.5 in my list of default apps to open acsm files...therefore no way to open my borrowed ebooks other than using Overdrive, and I still haven't figured out if books can be transferred to my Kobo from Overdrive.  (I don't think so but please correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, after multiple attempts I think I have it figured out. After the ADE installer was finished it did not automatically prompt for restart so this time I restarted manually.  Surprisingly today ADE 4.5.4 showed up in my list of default apps and I selected it for opening acsm files.

Next I went to my documents and clicked and dragged a borrowed book title (which now show the ADE icon) to the ADE icon on my desktop--voila, it opened ADE and showed the file in my borrowed title list.  From there I was able to click & drag it into my Kobo.

I don't know exactly how this happened but it did and I'm back in business.   I have no idea what the problem was but after many hours I am able to download books to my ereader again and I am hugely relieved.  I hope this helps someone else navigate through this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete this cache file:

C:\USER\USER\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\Adobe_Systems_Incorporate

Deletion of the corrupted file will allow the application to launch. This worked on my system running Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, brilliant.  Just wanted to express my appreciation for this post, Thank you!

To be clear I deleted this full directory after having uninstalled all ADE versions (not sure if the uninstall was needed):

C:\Users\_myusername_\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorporate

Then I simply installed ADE4.5.11 and it launched just fine once again!

Background: I had experienced the failure-to-launch problem with ADE4 and ADE4.5.11 in November, tried many unsuccessful remedies (uninstall/reinstall as Admin/delete "My Digital Editions" directory beforehand/etc.), and finally reverted to ADE3 last month in order to get by.  However, yesterday ADE3 also failed to launch and of course I knew that my time was up.  (I nevertheless went through the aforementioned unsuccessful dance again for good measure.)  Happily discovered Bill's solution today, and it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this solution also work for me on windows 8.1 using ADE 4.5.11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines