Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE 4.5.1 crashing and not getting up again

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know computers are strange. I had my share of error codes and problems. But this one stumps me. Maybe someone here can help.

I am using ADE to download my DRM protected ebooks. When I purchased one, I get a link, ADE is my default program. It opens, the book is added, I put it on my ereader and that's it. Until yesterday.

My newest purchases were coming in and I downloaded them one by one. The third one gave an error. Something about the licence. That moment I did not care. Whatever would be wrong, I will deal with it, after the other books are downloaded. But now the weired stuff started: ADE crashed. Well, happends to the best of us. Just starting again....and there are no more books. No bookshelves. Not even the default ones. Everything is GONE! Attached my e-reader, it popped up in ADE, clicked on it...crash! I can repeat that again and again. No books and when I click on the reader, it crashes. And this is the error message I get:

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname:    CLR20r3

Problemsignatur 01:    DigitalEditions.exe

Problemsignatur 02:    4.5.1.0

Problemsignatur 03:    56d017fc

Problemsignatur 04:    DigitalEditions

Problemsignatur 05:    4.5.1.0

Problemsignatur 06:    56d017fc

Problemsignatur 07:    ecf

Problemsignatur 08:    19

Problemsignatur 09:    System.NullReferenceException

Betriebsystemversion:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

Zusatzinformation 1:    0a9e

Zusatzinformation 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Zusatzinformation 3:    0a9e

Zusatzinformation 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Sorry, it's in German 😉

And now the not-so-funny part: Nothing I tried so far can make this go away. I deinstalled and reinstalled ADE (even used 4.5 once to exclude a 4.5.1.-only error), I deauthorized and reauthorized the computer....nothing changes.

I tried to download the books anew, which gave me different results: the first two or three tries ended in nothing, no change. Started the download, ADE starts...no books inside. At the fourth try the books I just downloaded reappeard, but not the older ones. But then there was the licence error again and all was gone.

No I took out my laptop and installed ADE fresh and authorized the computer and....ADE looked good and all the old books were there. NICE!! Until ... one of the new books again produced this darn licence error and killed everything again. Now I have "burned" two computers. ADE is no longer working as intended on those two. I think I will try it again on another one just to get a screen shot of this error message. But that is beside the point, I think.

Why would ADE crash and burn FOREVER just because it got a little complication with an odd book or two? I would expect it to - worst case! - crash once and not add the book in question. Actually I would expect it to just ignore this error, tell me it cannot add this book and let me add the rest, so I can sort out this damaged book with the shop I bought it from. But, no, it encounters an error and not only crashes, but stays dead and cannot be revived.

I changed nothing on the system before this problem occured. One day it worked, the next it doesn't. No point blaming the computer or the OS (Win7 BTW). This is a problem of ADE triggered by a (probably?) faulty ebook with some conflict.

Can anyone help me to get ADE started again? I will remove the bad book and move on to others, but I don't want to start buying computers in bulk just to accomodate ADE every time it finds another book not to its liking. Maybe there is a workaround? Rename this, copy file X to folder Z? Whatever works.

Thanks

M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Closed Digital Edition.
Rename the Folder My Digital Edition in you Documents in My Digital Edition.old.
After this start Digital Edition again.
Choose your eBook over file > Add to Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Digital Edition.
Rename the Folder My Digital Edition in you Documents in My Digital Edition.old.
After this start Digital Edition again.
Choose your eBook over file > Add to Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nanaky!

This worked...after a few tries. Some ebooks were still within a temporary file somewhere, so they were restored after renaming the folder. But after three renamed folders the library was clean and could be restocked. Just to be sure I deleted the doubled and tripled ebooks due to multiple link testing and the one that started it all.

Nice workaround!

Adobe should work the kinks out so this could not happen again. Even with this trick, it's just nerve wracking and a waste of time. This should not happen.

Thanks again,

M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Nanaky.  This has been making me crazy for months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines