• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE crashes

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have loaded ADE several times as well as ADE 2.0. It loads and opens a window. When I click on anything in the window (file, Library, etc.) the program crashes and I get an error message telling me that Windows has detected a problem and needs to close ADE. How do I resolve this. I am using Windows XP with all current updates installed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Can you try the below mentioned steps?

1) Quit ADE if it is running.

2) Take backup/move the books from "My Digital Editions" folder in Documents folder to a different location.

3) Launch ADE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try the below mentioned steps?

1) Quit ADE if it is running.

2) Take backup/move the books from "My Digital Editions" folder in Documents folder to a different location.

3) Launch ADE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution so far. However, I checked on the MS support page and learned that MS blasts two (version) updates/year (March/September). If your last update was in September you have v.1709. I expect a new version this month (should be v.1803). I will wait until my computer downloads this update and try again (latest ADE is 4.5.8. However, it appears no version will work right now.)

Anyone with a proven solution please post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem. I followed the steps you provided and problem solved!!! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dominic - ADE now stays running - the only book in the folder was the one with the ADE software entitled "Getting started with Adobe" . I now get a message in the bookshelf window telling me the book is missing. As per your instruction, I moved it from the folder (I placed it on my desktop). Should I now move it back to a folder (which one) and how should I go about adding other Epubs so that the program doesn't crash again?

I look forward to replies. I would like to start borrowing books from our local library and inturn read them on my KOBO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one of the downloaded book might be causing the crash. Now move the books back to the My Digital Edition folder.

In case if the crash occurs again, move the one by one to sort out the books causing the issue.

Hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain the last detail more please as it hasn't worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.7 stopped working on my Windows 10 version 1709? It was working; and now it's not. Doesn't show my bookshelves or the books on them. When I click on my Nook, the program gives me an error window that says ADE has encountered a problem and will now close. Very frustrating! I have uninstalled/installed several times with the same result. This just happened in the past week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, I can't figure anything I could do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try and transfer a book from ADE to my NOOK, an empty message box appears and ADE freezes up. When I click the corner to close it, a dialog box informs me that it has encountered a problem, which was already obvious.

There's an Overdrive page that helpfully tells us that "Newer versions of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) may sometimes crash or freeze on your Windows computer, including Windows 10, when you're trying to download or transfer eBooks." OverDrive | What to do if Adobe Digital Editions is ...

Surely Adobe must be aware and something can be done about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I have monitored both the Adobe and Microsoft forums on this since I first reported the problem last month and I see no movement to research/solve the problem. You have indicated it is a known issue and I see other people are reporting it. I have to assume they don't care. I'll look around for any other S/W that can download library loans and port them over to my Nook. I can no longer recommend this s/w to my library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please give a hint, as soon as you found such a program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly. May be a while, though. I'm tramping the Australian Outback and data connections are few and slow. I will try to report this problem to my library, the Las Vegas-Clark County Library System. It's quite a large system and I'm sure they will be interested. Also, I just took an Adobe "how are we doing?" survey and mentioned this problem.

I would hope that anyone who comes up with a solution would put it on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. Will download to ADE but not transfer to Nook Glowlight III using the usb cable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Editions consistently crashes:

1. Installed ADE 4.5.7

2. Open ADE 4.5.7

3. ADE opens with a blank white screen, nothing more, no solutions.

To resolve:

1. I deleted "My Digital Editions" folder. Same blank screen appears.

2. I uninstalled 4.5.7 (restarted computer) re-installed using ADE 3.0. Same blank screen appears.

3. I uninstalled 3.0 (restarted computer) re-installed using ADE 2.0.1. Same blank screen appears.

4. Read Adobe forums, no solutions to problem.

Any help is much obliged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I THINK I may have found a work around for this! I had to unauthorize my computer on ADE 4.5 and uninstall. Then, I searched ALL drives on my computer for ANY files containing ADE or Digital Editions and deleted everything that came up and emptied the recycling bin. Then, I downloaded ADE 3 here Adobe Digital Editions downloads. I authorized my computer using my OverDrive account, NOT Adobe. I was not able to download books I had tried to download in the previous version of ADE because they had been fulfilled by another device BUT if I returned them and borrowed again, they worked!! I hope this helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me crazy for months. So there's nothing we can do?? I have completely deleted everything from adobe on my computer and formatted my nook then reinstalled everything and I'm STILL not able to fully download a book. It seems some work and other don't. Same formats borrowed from the same library. I don't understand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if this doesn't solve the problem!? I also tried removing each book individually. I also tried completely deleting everything and starting fresh with a different book. No luck. What do I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE 4.5.8 doesn't crash on win 10 machine, but it doesn't open my book either.  It goes into Non-responsive mode.  It did open the manual that was installed with it, just not the book I purchased which I had to download it for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I had this problem sith all versions and win7,10 and 11. It also would ask for authorization and was already authorized and so crashed could not deauthorize as it crashed on opening. SO I ripped all versions on all three computers comletely. I used iobit to uninstall aggresivly deleting all progam parts, THen I used regedit to search and delete all referencess to ADR completely. Then I reinstalled the lates version and it was authorized automatically. Then I used "add to library" to add in what was already in "my digital editions. and after that it works for downloading from libraries agaion. BTW I installed in program files, not PF 86.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines