• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions does not sync across devices

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the product descriptions and several FAQs I found, it is an alleged feature that when I download media and open it in Digital Editions on, say, my PC, it should sync to my Digital Editions (same ID) on other devices like my tab.

I have 'auto-download' enabled. But this syncing doesn't seem to be happening. (Concrete example: I downloaded two library books to ADE on my PC with the same ID I use on my tab, but these books are not showing up on my tablet. The two books that are in my ADE library on the tab are also not showing up in the ADE library on my PC.) I also don't see any 'sync now' button or similar.

What am I missing, why is this feature not working?

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 133 Replies 133
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION FOUND (For Mac/iOS users)

1. On your Macbook, open ADE and right click on the book in question. Select "Show In Finder," and take note of the location, or keep the window open.

2. Connect your iOS device to iTunes.

3. Once in iTunes, go to your connected iOS device (from step 2) and select "File Sharing," which should be on the left side of the window.

4. Scroll to and select ADE (assuming that you have it downloaded to your iOS device).

5. Either select "add" or drag the file into the window and sync the device.

Your book in question should automatically show up on your iOS device.

One would assume that the syncing across devices would work (side eye @ Adobe), but fortunately this fix worked for me and I hope it's helpful to everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iPad and iPhone have the 6 books that I have dragged to the apps via iTunes.

My Mac's Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 has 715 books.   

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my devices several times, as well as deauthorized and authorized.   I also deauthorized and authorized my application on my Mac.    Still, my Mac has 715 books, my iPad has 6 books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Relevant on for Mac/iOS)

I managed to sync my medical books across devices (Mac to iPad) with no wires, just Bluetooth. Took maybe 45 seconds.

Adobe’s genius “Auto download” wasn’t working so I: opened up ADE bookshelf on my Mac > right clicked the desired book > left clicked “Show File in Findel” > right clicked the desired book pdf file > hovered my cursor on “Share” > clicked “AirDrop” > clicked my iPad

Simply have your iPad open, and after you’ve followed the instruction above you select the ADE option (should be an automatic pop-up)

Note: for the Airdrop feature to work you must have Bluetooth on for both devices and make sure they can share. If you don’t know how to do this, you can easily find instructions via a google search. You can search “how to airdrop”

Considering how many issues people have with syncing their libraries across devices, I hope this helps at least one other person (seeing as this problem has existed for like 2 years lol).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sync feature is alleged and as of the date of my post it still does not work. ADE staff are on a very long holiday while their app burns in the fires of faildom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE SEPTEMBER 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating 2022 november - still an issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL DOES NOT WORK OCTOBER 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL DOES NOT WORK DECEMBER 2019!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed!

Happy 2020

Anyway heres what I did.

I simply copied the downloaded .acsm file from whichever devices it is working on ie where you can access your digital doc on. It usually goes to downloads unless you have specified somewhere else in your settings. You could do a search for all your .acsm files from whichever devices your library is working on i.e. if you have a large library.

Simply either email or copy onto a usb stick to transfer to the device you want to share the file with. Once emailed or copied on to the other device(s), simply click on the  .acsm file and it will ask what app you want to open it with. Choose Adobe Digital Editions and it will start loading.

This worked for me, hope it works for you:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's not really syncing it though - that's just adding the document on another device!

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've tried many things to get my library books onto my Sony PRS T-2 and finally something has seemed to work.

I followed some instructions that was in one of the earlier responses here.

Downloaded the epub through ADE.

Then in the library in ADE, right click "Show file in Finder"

Then I copied the epub file to the "Digital Editions" folder on my reader.

At this point if I try to open it on my reader, it says Error for digital rights management.

I read in this thread that I could try to download the epub through the browser on my reader.

Logged into library account in Overdrive in the browser on my reader and tried to download the epub, but it wouldn't download.

But for some reason, if the file is in the Digital Editions folder already, it gets authorized or something and does not show the error anymore (and a sign that it worked is that the cover of the book loads).

My reader is authorized in the settings for Adobe digital rights, so that might have been the key to get things all linked up and working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to sync a file from one mac to another, and realized the files are not syncing from the cloud. I needed to email myself a copy of the .ACSM file (the ereader version of a PDF) and then I dragged that file into the ADE on my other computer. And voila, it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 24. 2020 - still no solution 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all, as I can see there will not be any solution, see here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/transfer-ebook-ereader-digital-editions.html#

It says:

Only physical eReader devices can sync with Adobe Digital Editions. If you are using an eReading application (iOS or Android), contact the publisher of that application for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brunob99 

"Only physical eReader devices can sync with Adobe Digital Editions. If you are using an eReading application (iOS or Android), contact the publisher of that application for assistance."  The publisher of the ADE app for ios is Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharing the original (acsm) file with the other device worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a solution, that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to share? have to do it every time? so  Ridiculous !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I deleted the app from my iPhone and reinstalled it immediately. I opened settings in the app and signed back in to authorize using my Adobe ID and all of my books synced to the iPhone. I don't know about future books, but for now it looks like this worked.

I know it's a 4 year old post and I'm sure someone else has probably posted this somewhere in the n pages of replies (I didn't read them all), but hopefully this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution:

1. C:\Users\"Your user"\Documents\My Digital Editions
2. Select your ebook *format PDF
3. Copy and paste it in your phone, tablet, or another device
4. Download it in another device tablet or phone
5.Open your file PDF in your Adobe Digital editions  (previously authorized with the same Adobe ID)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a solution. That's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2020 and yes, this is the closest to a solution I found.

I'll describe my steps to open a book on my Android phone that was already opened with an authorised ADE (Mac OS).

1. As Two44 says, find the folder called "Digital editions" on your computer. After opening the .acms link in ADE on the computer, you'll find there an .epub file with the title of the book.

2. Send this file to your phone (I used Telegram) and save it in the "Downloads" folder

3. Install the app Aldiko (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aldiko.android&) on your phone.

4. Open the .epub file with Aldiko, it shall ask for Vendor ID and should open the book.

(I lost few hours to come to this moment of happiness to open an awaited book. Really disappointing experience on the side of Adobe and readig through all this thread, it was painful to see the problem persisting throughout the years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mugcho 
That's great, but you're not synchronising, are you (as ACE advertises it should work)?  You're just copying the book from one device to another.  I could do that using Dropbox  - which is probably my next option.  It's nuts that commercial organisations use ACE so we're stuck with it, but it just does not work.  As I've said, this problem has existed for at least 5 years and bloody Adobe just don't care.  It's a disgrace, really. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work, on my other devices the file shows up as corrupted but, on my computer, its fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines