Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe not authorizing books in my Kobo ereader

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum Friends,

I've been having issues with ADE authorizing books on my Kobo ereader.

I check out my books via Overdrive from my library.

Then I transfer them over to my Kobo ereader, but when I try to open the book, I get a message "This book is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM).  Because you previously deauthorized your eReader you need to re-import the book using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).  Please visit kobo.com for more information."

Kobo website basically asks me to authorize the reader again, which I did (first by de-authorizing and then authorizing).  Nothing happens.

Then I've tried to deauthorize my computer and authorizing it again.  Still, nothing happens.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Is there a fix?

I've asked Adobe support but they can't help since ADE is a free product and they're "not trained to help with this product".

Please help.  This is really upsetting, since I'm no longer able to borrow books from my library (something I was able to do previously).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to paste 2 FAQs answers & perhaps 1 will apply & be of help bc I think the source of non-recognition  has to do w your Adobe ID being tied to your computer & not to the book so that only your device sees it as authorized whereas if the book itself were tied to your Adobe ID any accepted device would see it as A-Ok. But mind you, I"m only supposing. Here's the FAQs link: https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/using/faq.htm

Here's the paste of the q&a that might apply:

Applies to: Digital Editions

January 20, 2017

Why do I need to activate my computer with my Adobe ID?

Some digital publications that you purchase online or check out from a library may contain digital rights management (DRM) protection that restricts the items from being shared with others. Digital Editions helps ensure that your eBooks and other digital publications are not "locked" on one computer. They are assigned to you through an ID, and can be viewed on any compatible device you own that you activate with that ID.

and this one:

Can I transfer eBooks that I have already purchased or downloaded to another computer?

1. If you activate your computer with Digital Editions anonymously, all the purchased or borrowed books afterwards belong to that computer. [!!!!]

2. If you activate your computer with Digital Editions with an ID, all the purchased or borrowed books afterwards belong to that ID.

3. The books downloaded before activation will not be converted.

4. Books can be copied from one device to another device. If two devices are activated with the same ID, purchased books can be opened on the other device.

[!!!!] If the other device is not activated or if it is activated with another ID, a pop up window will appear to ask for ID when opening the purchased books. Borrowed books cannot be opened on another computer regardless its activation status. It is because that the loan token is not copied.

5. Borrowed books and their loan tokens will be copied when transfer(ing) (not copy [!!!!], this is an ADE feature) them between computer and device (e-reader).

6. If the permission limits the books to be viewed on only one device, the copied books will not be able to be opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems and the previous answer doesn't help me at all.   I had no problems downloading books from my library to my kobo and our nook.   We then had problems and we erased and re-authorized but now can not download at all on to either readers.  Adobe is no help -

frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

this problem has recently started for me, and authorization fails for some books but not for others. I've updated to the latest version of Editions and also tried de-authorizing and re-authorizing. The only thing I haven't tried yet is dropping back to Adobe Editions 3. Anyone had success with that?

My PC and Kobo are the only two things ever used with my Adobe ID.

Any help much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my problem exactly.

Have you been able to resolve the issue?

I have been  told by an Adobe telephone agent that once I have postecd my issue 'to the community', 'an expert'  should be in contact with me within the next 24-48 hours with a solution???? Can I rely on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe a lot of people are having this problem already. Including me, I believe I'm going to return my Kobo Reader.

@adobe, please respond and send out an update/hotfix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now happeneing to me, too. I have tried everything I can think of, but I cannot open my downloaded books on my Kobo Aura because  my "...eReader is not authorized to open this book."  When connected to my laptop, ADE says the Kobo is indeed authorized. My email address is unchanged. It says I can read the book on all authorized devices. I can add books from my ADE library to my Kobo, but then cannot open them on the Kobo. I've unauthorized and reauthorized to no avail. Tried loading another book (as another post mentioned was a 'fix') but now I have two books I can't look at.  This is iquite nfuriating, and the silence from Adobe is deafening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, more reading of the forums and I just tried something suggested  that WORKED for me - instead of allowing ADE to fulfil the book, as it does automatically, I instead dragged the file from my Downloads folder on my compluter directly to my eReader  device in ADE (my Kobo Aura HD)

Hallelujah, I can read the book on my Kobo now.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU ronc73269033 who said

"I was able to successfully add to my Kobo the last two e-books I borrowed. The one thing I did different was - on

the download instead of directly opening into ADI I saved the file into my downloads. Then I went to the downloads

and from there opened the file into ADI. I was then able to transfer the file from ADI to the Kobo successfully. I

don't know if these were just flukes?" 

And SHAME ON YOU< ADOBE for not fixing this issue and making so many people so very frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this. Did not work. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and despite a long online conversation with Adobe I still cannot get my Kobo device authorised.

I use it all the time for library ebooks and I am feeling very frustrated that this cannot be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, you just need to install Adobe digital edition 3.0 !!! Yeah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines