A few days ago, the process wherein one clicks on an .ascm file when then fulfills with an .epub file has quit working. Digital Editions (220.127.116.11275) launches, but that's it. Nothing comes up; there is no "fulfillment," nothing is spinning - it does not appear to be hung, but it never fulfills the request. I have reinstalled, tried a 2nd book, but nothing gets fulfilled. Prior to this happening, I was having problems with returned (library) books re-appearing (although they were not actually on the PC) and I would "delete" them. But I could still download new ASCM books from the Library and double-click/fulfill them using Digital Editions. But like I said, a few days ago, that quit working. Not sure if it is some new Microsoft Upgrade (like they destroyed my ability to use Adobe Reader by forcing all PDF's to go to "Edge") or just some glitch in Digital Editions itself. Is there a work-around for this, or perhaps an older Digital Editions App that I can download? Thanks for any help!
I haven't installed it yet, but I downloaded Adobe DE version 2.0 from www.epubsoft.com/soft/adobe-digital-editions to see if it will work. Another forum member wrote an answer to his problem that he had posted similar to yours & that wasn't answered giving the URL download address & saying that his install of DE version 1.75 from there fixed the no response to .acsm files. I saw the 2.0 v only now; its URL is www epubsoft.com/free-software.html I'm uncertain if it is an Android app, which I prefer to Windows PC for present need.
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll give it a try.
My problem is that randomly when I download an .acsm file, Adobe DE will fulfill the file, but then I get a message that I can't open the file. It's really annoying, so I'm definitely willing to give this a try.
Thank you. I had the same problem, I downloaded version 2 and the problem was solved.
I'm willing to give this a try. Did you have to uninstall the 4.5 version first? Or do De-Authorization or Re-Authorization? Thanks,
I have uninstalled the 4.5, rebooted the computer and then installed the 2.0.
As 4.5 did not allow me to authorize or de-authorize, before restarting I deleted the ADEPT key in the registry, where the authorizations are. With the 2.0 I was able to reinstall the authorization without problems.
Well, I tried without de-authorizing. I uninstalled 4.5.7, did a restart, installed 2.0. (Had trouble associating .ascm but overcame it, although it asks me every time), and when Digital Editions came up I got this error: "Error! Check Activation" I clicked on the "Authorization Information" under Help, and it does say that this computer is authorized, so apparently "activation" is different from authorization. Anyone know how to fix this authorization error? Thanks.
Ok... I found the entry about that. Apparently Activation = Authorization. So I needed to re-authorize. Searching for THAT, I found that to do it you have to go into Regedit and delete the authorization folder under Adobe Adept (inside HKEY something.... you'll have to look that up. BTW, using Regedit is VERY DANGEROUS, and Adobe is irresponsible for forcing us to do this. So... I deleted the folder, rebooted, etc. but it still didn't work. Also when clicking on the acsm file, it kept asking me if I wanted to run 4.5.7 or 2.0 (and I don't HAVE 4.5.7 anymore). So at this point... what they hey, I figure I'm never going to get it to work so I don't care if I screw up everything Adobe in regedit, so I go ahead and entirely delete the Digital Editions folder (which DID have s subfolder for 4.5.7 even though it had been previously uninstalled). Now when I clicked on the acsm file it brought up DE, and I clicked on authorization.... It didn't like the ID but no Vendor approach, so I tried my Adobe id/pswd under vendor... it didn't like that. I then went to my public library page, signed in and poked around until I found that they were using Vendor OverDrive. So I selected the OverDrive vendor and my Library card number and password.... then got some kind of time-out error. Did that a couple of times, inbetween rebooring. I figured what the hey... deleted my acsm file, RE-Downloaded them from the library, clicked on them and FINALLY it did the fulfillment. This whole process has taken me the better part of a week and probably 20 hours of effort. Ridiculous, but I got mine working again. But Adobe... if you're listening... you need to not only fix the original problem, you also need to rethink this process.
I had this same issue, but this thread helped me resolve it...by uninstalling 4.5, installing 2.0, and deleting a registry key.
This is, of course, completely ridiculous, Adobe (and most ebook vendors)!! Most people I know would have given up ages ago. Terrible software.
Yeah, it's an industry wide problem - nobody cleans up after themselves. They'll grudgingly write an uninstall program that usually gets rid of all (or most) of the files, and maybe the directories, but nobody puts in code to clean up the entries they've made in the registry. Just poor programming and lack of management oversight. It's a sad state of affairs when a user has to edit the registry to clean up after an application programmer. Adobe isn't alone in this, but I'd have thought they'd be better than most others.