• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't see annotations after moving Digital Editions folder

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved my Digital Editions folder to a new location on my hard drive, and when I went to open the book I have been reading and annotating for the course I teach, none of the annotations were there.  The annotation file is still in the folder, but the link to the book seems to be lost.  When I tried to open the book from URLLINK.acsm, the book was re-downloaded to my Documents folder and a new annotations file created.  Is there any way to re-connect the annotations file to my book?

I am using version 1.7.2 with Mac OS 10.6.4.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read somewhere else that you have to keep the folder in the Documents folder, so I moved it back and everything seems fine again.  What I was trying to do was move the DE folder to my Dropbox, so I would be able to read the same book (with the same annotations) on my desktop computer or my other laptop.  Is there any way to be able to read the same copy of the book (see annotations on other computers), or is the annotated version tied only to the one computer that I originally started annotating it on?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the annotations are kept in the manifest.xml file  (look for something like)

<de:annotationsFileLink>Annotations/Piracy_The_Intellectual_Propert.annot</de:annotationsFileLink>

ADE expects and enforces that the manifest file and the annotations are in the (My) Digital Editions folder in your (My) Documents directory ( My is added on windows, but no on Mac).   There are no options to change this location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem right for me not to be able to see my annotations when I'm using my laptop or desktop or ereader.  It's my intellectual property, isn't it?  I wonder if there is a way to synch that file across platforms.  Why use the transfer feature if you can't refer to the annotations and highlights from the other platform.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured it out! In the adobe application, click "View in Folder" and go to the annotations file for your book then click "Open with - Text edit" and you'll see the code or whatever it's called for all your annotations, copy it! Then, in the redownloaded book, make an annotation so that the file is created on your computer and open THAT annotation file. Then all you have to do is highlight the text edit of the new annotation file and paste the text from your old annotation file, save and close and it should be updated/reflected in the newly downloaded book! I have a paper due tomorrow and was finally moving to writing on the book I had downloaded after all the other sources and almost had a heart attack when I thought my carefully crafted notes were gone forever. Hope this helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It does! Many thanks!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines