• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot choose Adobe Digital Editions as my acsm default

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to download books from my local library to Adobe Digital Editions. I was prompted to update to version 4.5 last week and did so. Prior to this, I had no problems downloading the books. Since then I have not been able to download to Adobe. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times and with three different versions of Adobe Digital Editions. I have been directed by my local library to go to Default Programs and reset the ascm. For whatever reason, my computer will allow me to choose any other program on my computer except Adobe Digital Editions. I cannot select Adobe Digital Editions as the program to download to book to.  I've tried other programs such as Calibre and my computer will allow me to set the acsm for Calibre. However, my library does not format books for that program, so Adobe Digital Editions is my only option. I've been working at this for about five days and don't know what to do. Hopefully someone can help me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a lot of books I want to read over the holidays

TOPICS
Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the eBook File from your Library.
Choose settings.

By open program click on choose.

Then again choose and go to the path of Digital Edition C:\Prgram\(x86)\Adobe\Digital Edition.

Then should the exe file.

It should now open with Digital Edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. However, Settings does not come up as a choice when I right click on my eBook. I'm using Internet Explorer and Windows 7, if that helps. Even if I was able to use the path you have suggested, my computer would not allow me to choose C:\Prgram\(x86)\Adobe\Digital Edition. I am able to find this path, and the application. But when I click on it, my computer refuses to accept Adobe Digital Editions as its path. Everything else is okay. Just not this one program that I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has do choose exact the exe-file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any other suggestions of how I can choose the exe-file? The right clicking on the eBook File doesn't give me the option of choosing settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which option has you exactly under right click?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Link

Open Link in New Tab

Open link in a new window

Save target as ...

Print target

Save picture as ....

Email picture ...

Print picture ...

Go to my pictures

Set as background

Copy

Copy shortcut

Select all

View Source

Inspect element

Add to favourites ...

Properties

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

o.O Do right click on the website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I don't understand. I don't see "the website" as an option to click on from the list I gave you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more idea. Last week when I upgraded Adobe Digital Editions it asked me which of four options I wanted as connections (acsm, desktop shortcut, start link ....). I unclicked all of them except the desktop shortcut. I wasn't really sure what there were and thought they might be additional annoying software that Adobe was trying to get on my computer. Since then I've uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe about ten times and am now choosing all four as options. However, could I have inadvertently turned some link/connection off permanently from that first update last week? Just a thought. I'm grasping at ideas here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Click Start.

Click Default Programs

Click Associate a file type or Protocol with a program

Select acsm from the list and click Change Program

Note: if you are using Win 7 pro you might need to log on as an administrator

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roger. My local library did send me those directions.  The problem is that my computer will not allow me to chose adobe digital solutions as my acsm. Everthing else works but not adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used right clock on the local download eBook file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by the local download eBook file.  I am not able to download the books to adobe on my computer. This is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you download the file get the prompt if open or save.

You choose that want save the file f.e. on your Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded it to my desktop. However, I have the same problem in that my computer will not allow to choose Adobe as the acsm default program. I right clicked and tried opening the program with Adobe but I cannot open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, an error box comes up that say "Check activation" when I try to move/drag the book from my desktop to adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Close all applications.
  2. Choose Start > Run.
  3. In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.
  4. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
  5. Select the Adept key.
  6. Choose File > Export.
  7. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.
  8. Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.
  9. In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.
  10. Close the Registry Editor.
  11. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nanaky. I had found instructions similar to these somewhere else and tried them already. However, the File - Export - Save part was new. I've done it twice and deauthorized and reauthorized my computer a number of times, but it still isn't working. When I try to set the new "Exported" link that I've saved as my default, it doesn't appear as an option to use as my acsm default. I can't even see it in the location I've saved it when going through the acsm defaults/downloads options. I've tried saving it to different locations. Any more suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get always the error message check activation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. That only happened once in a specific situation. It almost never does. I get no error message. My computer won't allow me to download to Adobe Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Firefox and reinstalled Adobe creating a new folder called Adobe1 instead of the regular Adobe folder. I am now able to download from my library with Firefox - Google Crome and Internet Explorer don't work, but at least I have an option. I have no idea what is special about Firefox but am just happy it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I'm not crazy. Mine just started doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a couple hours, I found the solution.  I did a complete removal of ADE [for the 3nd time] and reinstalled it to a folder named Adobe1/Adobe Digital Editions 4.5x under program files.  At that point Windows 7 saw the digital exe file as a valid file and would let me choose it as the default file for ascm files.

The problem occurred when I installed Microsoft Office.  There seems to be a conflict once that is installed that locks the OS out of seeing the digital exe file as a valid exe file and not allowing it to be a default.  It seems to be directly related to the names of the files since renaming the file after 2 tries with the default name didn't work but the name change did.  Microsoft Office seems to want to override Adobe installations forcing the files to look for other acceptable programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are 3 years later & the same problem is occurring. But the idea for renaming the file seems to work. ADE is not listed in the "open with" drop down for acsm files. When browsing for the ADE .exe file you have to go to programs - Adobe- Adobe Digital Editions xxx- DigitalEditions.exe, but it doesn't lock that in even if it can be selected.

I renamed the .exe file separating the words Digital & Editions and deleting the .exe characters and re-entering them exactly as they had been. Viola, Adobe Digital Editions xxx now appears in the "open with" drop down and can be ticked in the "Always use" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines