• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot transfer library book on my KOBO

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11.  I have downloaded books from our local library to my laptop. The computer is authorized as is my KOBO Aura One reader. I can read the borrowed books on my computer. When I look at 'My Books' on my Kobo, I see the books but the cover is black and when I try to open the book it states I am not authorized, DRM etc. I have gone back to the start a few times, deleted the books in question and cancelled the authorization on my laptop and reader, restarted  from the initial download from the library and still no luck. I even re-initialized the kobo and re-installed ADE.

I don't know what else I can do. I have a MAC running under Catalina.

HELP please!!!!!

TOPICS
ADE authorization , DRM , Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Been installing and uninstalling ADE 4.5.11 but no luck.  Everything worked so well for so long and, just suddenly one day, quit.  My library tells me it's a glitch with ADE with no fix in sight.  ARGH!!!  I love my Kobo and I prefer reading library books on it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

95% of the time library direct to my Kobo Reader works perfectly (as using Kobo & overdrive & ADE not involved). To older reader which doesn't support overdrive it is about 50/50, but often if turn off computer and come back later and ask it nicely it will oblige - there is simply no logic. I also have the Overdrive app on my laptop - installed it in hope of alternative to ADE (it isn't) but the laptop with overdrive installed has much greater success rate with ADE to Reader - no logice, but then no logic in why via ADE won't work then will an hour later.. or vv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was playing around and about to delete Adobe Digital Editions and I
noticed the program seemed to be a download for windows 8
I know I downloaded it for windows 10 - I am not even sure windows 8 exists
any longer
so I was going to download again and make sure it was for windows 10 and
verify that
another plan I have is to completely wipe out my kobo (I don't have
anything I really want - just use it for reading books) -then use my
husband's library card and his computer with a fresh copy of ADE and she
how that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Kobo and got an interesting response. They say it's not a technical issue but a library administration issue. Libraries are exceeding their ebook licensing. So I tried buying an ebook, downloading it to my computer and then into my Kobo Aura. Worked perfectly. I think Kobo support may be right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem about a year ago.  I tried everything then changed back to ADE 3.0.  Problem solved.  As of 2 weeks ago my MAC is now using Catlina OS.  I can't used 3.0 due to the new MAC OS.    I've had to use 4.5.11 and I'm getting the same issue.  I can read the book on my computer but when transfer to my Kobo I get the black book screen and "Your eReader is not authorized to open this book."  Strangely enough, some books will transfer over, some won't.  I suspect you're right about the libraries exceeding thier ebook licensing..  Extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not so sure that Kobo are right in trying to shift the blame on to  libraries.  It's their software that is not working with Adobe's that is at the heart of the problem.  I have no  issues downloading a library book to my Mac - it's just transferring it to my Kobo that doesn't work.  If it were a library issue it wouldn't down load  to my Mac in the first place, surely?  Incidently I've seen in Adobe's small print that a library book will be locked to the first machine that downloads and opens it.

In the UK we have the problem compounded by libraries moving from Overdrive to  RB digital (due to  cost , I expect), so you can't download to  Kobo directly.  Kobo could help by by finding a work around using RB digital (all owned by the same company?), but they do not seem inclined.

So we will always have problems transferring to Kobo.

On a brighter note the softare is fickle and sometimes works.  My kobo was refusing to  accept a particular book, so  I downloaded two others.  I then tried to  download all three together and it worked.  I don't pretend to  understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completly agree with all what you said.  Got similar behavior.  We are now bying all our book, we put a small budget per year now for this.  But has you can imagine, if i wrote here right now, it is because im still looking a solution...work arround.  But i will not for a dozen times try thing like...reboot,  reinstall, change login, change password, recreate account...all done many times...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.  I too just want to read a book not troubleshoot some technical problem.  There are other glitches with the Kobo such as going to the title page the next day and I have to find out where I'd left off, changing my book from a book to a preview...  I now have some hard cover books on my coffee table to read.  If the bookmark falls out I only have myself to blame.  LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue with my Kobo Aura One all today. Downgraded to ADE 3.0, removed the library books from bookshelves and the Kobo, deauthorized Kobo and computer (using ctrl + shift+d) and closed program. Reopened, authorized both computer and Kobo, then imported the book from Libby and it finally worked. So ADE 3.0 seems to be they key here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allen5F9C, cant wait to see how long this workarround will work for you.  Myself, abandonned and pay all book since.  Pass so many time with that scrap tool!  Sorry, but it is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, with the book showing up as a black rectangle instead of the cover. However, miraculously the books appear, ready to read within the next day or two - I think it must have do do with the kobo syncing with Overdrive, which is the platform my library uses.  Now I need to figure out how to do a manual sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All day yesterday - nearly going spare because in the end not sure what I have tried to get my Library books dowloaded onto Kobo (probably about 8 years old and not sure how I find model if needs be).

1. So yesterday managed to download a book BUT don't know how it happened!?  Couldn't do anymore - so No pattern to it all.

2. They will appear on my Samsung tablet - without me asking it to - guess because of the Libby app. Tried to download it to KOBO but it just tells me it is installed and list tablet and phone not that I asked it to go there.

3. I too have the Black Books looking at me.

4. Doesn't like ADE - books don't appear there.  

Note: Months ago before Covid our library had a system that I just chose a book - connected KOBO to laptop and whizz straight across!

Now - even thought of buying a new Kobo - so pleased I looked on here again - that would not solve it!

5. If I do as Alen suggests - would that mean I loose all the books I have read e.g. checking out authors, titles, etc?  At moment I can check if I have read book before.

Finally - brand new laptop and even thought yesterday - my problem was ADE not installed.

Basically I don't know where I have been and what I was doing yesterday - all I know the note I wrote last time itr said - Sync - top right corner and books downloaded!  Obviously the KOBO fairies were in a good mood that day.

Thanks for the opportunity to let off steam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same Kobo and the exact same issues. I am a member of two different libraries. One, no problem, the other as stated. The only way I can get a book from that library to my Kobo, is to go directly from my Kobo, via Overdrive and borrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link on how to solve the problem.

https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/activation-errors-adobe-digital-editions.html

Once you copy the book to the Digital Editions you have to right click it and say send to Kobo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old conversation thread.  I had lots of problems with ADE, different versions etc. etc.  The BEST way I found to get around all this, get your books and not be troubled with the ADE stuff is to use LIBBY.  Libby is basically the ADE for 'dummies'.  Yes, I put my self in the 'dummies' catatgory too.   Libby just works, its easy to use and pretty cool too.  I believe its just the front for ADE.   Happy reading!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too am in the Dummies catagory!   By the time I finish trying to get a smooth transition from Library to Kob - I feel completely 'lost'.  Some time ago I managed (not sure how) to end up with Libby on my Mobile and on my Samsung tablet!!!  Not on my KOBO.

Now - I use Overdrive - see books selected on my laptop and think great I go to my KOBO and they will download.  Soooo..... sometimes one will appear and another time I will not get what I have selected so I just return the book - so annoying.

I dowloaded Libby because I recall someone saying that was the best way from mobile to Kobo but ..... I couldn't make that work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines