• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 4.5.6 and 4.5.5 - hangs and crashes opening borrowed book

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded version 4.5.6, and am seeing the same application crash as I've seen in the past with 4.5.5.

When downloading a borrowed library book, the download never seems to complete. The pop-up window remains on the screen until I kill it by closing the application.

Then, the file/book appears in the Digital Editions application Bookshelf, but attempting to open the book causes the application to hang, until I kill it by closing the application.

I'm on Windows 10 Home.

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error for awhile.

You need to de-authorize 4.5 and THEN uninstall it.

Then download and install 3.0 and authorise it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kitty

Thanks but I’ve done that, twice, with no luck. I just select my books at home and download them at work (no Windows 10).

Thanks

Bea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrated with this now!  Again, ADE 4.5 installed (hoping it would now work) and again it failed altogether because Flash is now restricted as an insecure platform on the latest Windows 10 build.  Successfully installed Ver 3, but now I cannot licence my text book that I need to finish an assessment.  I will be making a loud noise to my uni to stop using ebooks.com if they cannot find another way of getting the books to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you still use the 3.0 Version recently? It says that the app needs to update before I can use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I uninstalled v4.5 (but first de-authorize; if you don't then you'll have to play with Regedit to delete the Adept folder). Then I installed v3.0 and authorized the machine. This is working perfectly so far. (date of this post: 2/17/22).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine keeps asking for a Vendor ID for my book. How do I find a Vendor ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The VendorID will be the name of the organisation you are borrowing the eBook from. If you purchased it and it download in the ACSM file format, then the Vendor will be Adobe-ID in this case. It may be worth asking the eBook source vendor/store what you should put in the VendorID if that's not working for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am joining this conversation as I am also having the same problem.  I also have Windows 10. I have been using my kobo touch ereader for over a year now and suddenly I can no longer open books I have borrowed from my library.   I had tried all the above; uninstalling ADE4, installing ADE 3 and ADE 2; erasing authorization on both computer and kobo and then reauthorizing and I am still unable to open books borrowed from the library.  I have been doing this for over a week now.

The Kobo Touch I own was first released in 2012.   Is it possibly that ADE no longer supports older ereaders?  Kobo Rauten responded this "may" be the issue when I raised the question with them.   I would like to know the answer to this before I go out and purchase a new ereader as I have only had this one for 18 months, and also it does not seem worth getting another one if I cannot download library books (my main reason for purchasing one in the first place).  I have no problems with books I purchase.

Or is it possible that the problem is with Windows 10, which seems to be updating itself almost incessantly. If anyone can help, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

My computer was out of action for a couple of days , so I set up digital editions at work, went in early and did my download there. It worked. I had thought it might be a Kaspersky update causing the trouble, but we also have Kasp at work, so not that. Unfortunately after months of trying to get an answer and trying all these suggestions, I still can’t download at home.

Bea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one.. You have Windows 10? Go to a computer that does NOT have Windows 10 and see if it works there. My work computer doesn’t have Windows 10, so I can download there and our library doesn’t either, I can download there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the fixes with no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually post but after hours of installing and uninstalling I finally got it working using the info in this thread. It seems that some people are skipping some steps so here they are laid out:

1. launch 4.5

2. go to the 'Help' menu and de-authorise your computer.

3. uninstall 4.5

4. download and install 3.0

5. Launch 3.0

6. go the 'Help' menu and authorise this computer.

7. Input your details. Mine was Booktopia because that's where I usually buy my eBooks from.

8. Add your books and it works!

I did lose bookmarks etc but I'm just glad I got it working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kitty,

I have  a similar problem with a new pc and a new kobo. After I download and install AED 5.9 for windows 10, and try to transfer my ebook from the library, I get the following message: Unable to download. Error getting License. Server connection problem. E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

Now trying to download AED 3.0, it requires me to download Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

This feels like a real run around and I am not sure how much I trust it or where it all leads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got it to work! Spent 1.5h de-installing/reinstalling, de-authorizing and re-authorizing before reading this post.

Following your instructions point by point made it work

The important thing is to de-authorize on the 4.5 version to then authorize on the 3.0 version.

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked also for me.
With 4.5, app would 'evaporate' trying to open a specfic book .
With 3.0 it opens properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not get a message about it needing to be updated? Apple was saying it can't run 32 bit programs anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a similar problem with transferring of books from my Windows 10 (current level of updates) Adobe Digital Edition 4.5 app to my PocketBook Touch Lux 3 ebook reader. Reader is three years old. I have discussed with PocketBook support who directed me here.

I tried the steps to de-authorize ADE 4.5, uninstall, install ADE 3.0 and authorize.

But when I try to connect my ebook reader to my laptop ADE crashes. 

I'm beginning to feel quite desparate, since I really love reading books from the library on my PocketBook.

Would be grateful for any up-to-date (February 2020) advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was directed here from the "help" (big stretch) chat. I have followed all of these directions to a t. No prevail. I'm very frustrated, using a Nook Glowlight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely insane. It hangs and crashes and I can't read my files. Adobe: if you're going to force us to use a product to make doing something simple (reading a PDF) difficult, then you can't make it have such a terrible user experience. The brand name of Adobe is being completely destroyed by this product. I teach 500 design students at university every year and am questioning whether I want to continue using Adobe products in my teaching. Truly disgraceful to combine DRM with awful software. Not to mention installing bloatware (Norton) through dark design patterns. Shame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines