Highlighted

Digital Editions 4.5 won't open, Windows 7

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a text book in ebook form and the only program they allow to open it is Adobe Digital Editions. When I downloaded Digital Editions 4.5 the installation happened without a problem, but trying to actually open the program is impossible. Nothing even happens. So after research online and quite a few attempts to work around this problem or maybe download an older version, my last effort was to post to the forms. None of those options fixed my problem. Now after many installs and uninstalls I've turned to here. Two weeks into my semester and I haven't been able to read the book, I should've spent a little bit more and had the physical book mailed to me, figured this would've been easier and cheaper. Guess not...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Digital Editions 4.5 won't open, Windows 7

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a text book in ebook form and the only program they allow to open it is Adobe Digital Editions. When I downloaded Digital Editions 4.5 the installation happened without a problem, but trying to actually open the program is impossible. Nothing even happens. So after research online and quite a few attempts to work around this problem or maybe download an older version, my last effort was to post to the forms. None of those options fixed my problem. Now after many installs and uninstalls I've turned to here. Two weeks into my semester and I haven't been able to read the book, I should've spent a little bit more and had the physical book mailed to me, figured this would've been easier and cheaper. Guess not...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 22, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on Digital Edition and choose run as admin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2016 3
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows XP ans have a similar issue. O have tried an older version, after experiencing trouble with the later ones but nothing changes: I get a message like "an error has occurred while opening the program" and it won't open. Please help. I tried installing the app on my mobile phone but it's not available for my device.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Edition 4.5 are to new for Windows 10. Should install 2.0 or 1.7.3.

Adobe Digital Editions downloads

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2016 1
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed 4.5 on my computer (Windows 7) because it kept popping up about updating the program.

But now it won't open the program. I have tried removing it, restarting my computer and reinstalling the program. But nothing has happened. It doesn't even pop with with an error-message - Nothing at all happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you try: Right click on Digital Edition and choose run as admin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try that and it still did not work.

I have removed 4.5 and installed 3.0 which is working.

Do you know when I'll be able to use 4.5?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now. But I am pleased that it comes with 3.0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now? So there isn't a problem with 4.5?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry make i mistake. I mean no. The 4.5 Version seems have any problems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2016 0
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem in Windows 10... Used to work until recently.. Tried running as admin... Also reinstalled... Updated Windows... nothing works.. Windows seeks permission for DE to make changes to the computer.. but then nothing happens..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2016 2
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Windows 10 and nothing work - even trying Run as Admin. Did work for 2 days then nothing. Bizzare

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2016 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with version 4.5 but I have been able to open it with 'Run as Administrator.' Creating a shortcut with option to run as administrator set does not even work. I must right-click on launch tile and select 'Run as administrator' from the 'More' menu. I am running Windows 10 with the Anniversary update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 04, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with Windows 10. It worked for a few days.... Any clue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got ADE 4.5.2 to work on my Windows 7 computer. After trying everything here and on another thread, I deleted ADE, moved my entire My Digital Editions folder to an external drive, reinstalled ADE without using the Migrate function and it worked. I have downloaded 2 Overdrive books from the library.

However, all the books that had been downloaded from the library before this mess happened will not download again. If I transfer them from My Digital Editions to ADE they will not open. I will either have to wait to get back on the hold list or read them with Overdrive Read, stuck sitting at my desk.

And there is no way to return the books checked out before this mess to the library early so I can't even put them back on hold until they expire in 1 - 20 days.

I am seriously unhappy with both ADE and Overdrive, both the products and the lack of useful help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2016 4
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying everything else, this finally helped - thanks for posting!

for the books you already downloaded, you might try moving the files to a different folder and then click and drag it into ADE - that's worked for me in the past.

You can also re-download the books from your library and see if the new copy will open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally found solution:

1) Delete: My Digital Editions folder localed in Documents

2) Reinstall Digital Editions 4.5

3) Open software and you will see that is not showing window, I've noticed that is minimized, so make click in Digital Editions button (taskbar) and press in your keyboard Alt + (Spacebar), you'll see an option to RESTORE, press letter that is underlined and Digital Editions 4.5 should display in your screen again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2019 0