• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 4.5 won't open

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 4.5 and 3.0 but 4.5 quit working and 3.0 won't let me open my books.  I tried to uninstall and re-install 4.5 and it worked for awhile then it quit again so I uninstalled and re-installed again and now it won't open.  What do I need to do so that it works on my laptop.  The desktop version works.

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on Windows 10. As of last night, when I try to open it there is some loading and then nothing happens. Monitoring the background processes, I see that it appears and then disappears a second later. Running as admin or reinstalling does not solve the problem. 3.0 opens but books don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

je rencontre le meme probleme.

J installe 4.5 mais ne s ouvre pas

Merci de votre reponse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ich habe eine Adope ID angelegt und immer wenn ich sie autizifieren soll sagt er geht nicht egal wo ich es versuche, ob Ebookreader oder Laptop. aber unterschiedliche Meldungen: am PC heißt es: Anmelde ID/Kennwort f. ausgew. ebsookanbieter  ist falsch. bitte erneut versuchen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a serious case of Adobe NOT CARING about its consumers.  I have tried contacting Adobe on all levels and I get nothing except 'use the forums' (because hopefully some poor beleaguered smuck like me will stumble on a fix) so Adobe doesn't have to fess up and fix it's bugs!  I am running a Windows 10 comp, and up until last week was working fine with Version 4.5.0.  Suddenly I was unable to open new purchases.  Google Play informed me I need the newest version.  Okay, download 4.5.7.  Suddenly everything stops.  It won't complete installation or even open.  At this point I plan to start letting the publishers know that Adobe is screwing up their sales by publishing crapware.  I won't spend money on books I cannot open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem: Adobe upgrade to 4.5.7 but I cannot get ADE to open any book.

My setup is W10 pro on a laptop.

Tried remove/reboot/reinstall -- did not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today the problem has vanished by itself. No clue why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Very annoying. I have tried mumtiple things and nothing works. Help from Adobe is impossible to get. I am hoping someone at the library tech dept. can help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, same efforts, same frustration. I am not going to hold my breath for Adobe to help. I last used ADE last month, it worked, but crashed. Now nothing.  I own many epub books - paid for - and want to use my investment. So I went searching for other solutions. Two solutions I found:

1. Freeware program Calibre. I have not tested all my books, but the 3 books I purchased tonight all opened fine. It seems you can export as well, I have not yet tried that. But looking good. (Recommended on Microsoft support forum).

2. Converter program Epubsoft. It allows you to save your purchased book to PDF, which you can then read in a PDF Reader, without getting frustrated by ADE.

Adobe is obviously too rich to care about paying customers, and don't worry about us dumping their software such as Lightroom, Photoshop, ADE and even Adobe Reader - all of which I have dumped recently. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue using Windows 8.1.  I did find something that worked for me.  I uninstalled ADE 4.5 and then installed the Mozilla Firefox browser (Download Firefox — Free Web Browser).  (I am in no way endorsing this browser, just giving you something that worked for me.)  I used the new Firefox browser to download ADE 4.5 and now it works perfectly.  All the books I downloaded in the last year showed up.  Not sure why it worked, but it did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received the following solution from Kobo Customer Support: Irais E. Thank you Irais! THIS WORKED FOR ME, after trying all the other solution ideas I could find in these forums (without success). I am using Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 and Windows 10.

Locate folder "My Digital Editions" (on my laptop), and delete all contents in the sub-folders (Annotations, Manifest, Restore (found empty), Tags, Thumbnails). Now I was able to open ADE and re-authorize ADE. I then synced my Kobo with the Kobo desktop program, which authorized my Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally found solution:

1) Delete: My Digital Editions folder localed in Documents

2) Reinstall Digital Editions 4.5

3) Open software and you will see that is not showing window, I've noticed that is minimized, so make click in Digital Editions button (taskbar) and press in your keyboard Alt + (Spacebar), you'll see an option to RESTORE, press letter that is underlined and Digital Editions 4.5 should display in your screen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ADE is having difficulty launching and I tried following the steps you described, but the restore option is grayed-out and unavailable to use (I made sure I selected ADE). Is there another way to restore it or another fix? Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on a pc where ADE was uninstalled to save space and reinstalled recently. My issue is, after performing the above steps, deleting 'My Digital Editions' folder and uninstalling/reinstalling, Opening with 'Administrator Permission' but there is no instance of it opened in the taskbar to try the 'Restore' option. I did open the Task Manager and saw that each time I tried to open ADE, theres an instance of it in the taskman process list for maybe less than 1 second before it disappears. I suspect its within the Windows Registery which ADE probably effects and I assume it has something to do with the DRM settings for the content ADE supports, purchased books/PDF's.

Adobe, if you're actually seeing this, we need a patch for a fix which fixes these tweaks to the registery but not allowing the end user to interfere for some 'exploit' thing due to DRM. I believe it could be done easily, remaining DRM Compliant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked! Thank you so much...I clicked "maximise" after using the alt + spacebar after I clicked on it in the tool ba and it opened up. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix actually works:

You must delete the Adobe ADE file contained in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local.

Delete the ADE folder here (NOT Adobe Acrobat).

Then relaunch ADE and the EXE file will load ADE properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix actually works:

You must delete the Adobe ADE file contained in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local.

Delete the ADE folder here (NOT Adobe Acrobat).

Then relaunch ADE and the EXE file will load ADE properly.

By @Bill5CFB

Thanks - this worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  For me, ADE 4.5.12 stopped working on Windows 10 a few months ago for no apparent reason, and I tried everything else I saw on the internet.  Simply deleting the "AppData\Local" folder is the only thing that worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Deleting the "AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorporate" folder is what I should have said.  Come to think of it, it's kind of odd that Adobe would misspell the name of their own company in the folder name, but whatever.  It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines