• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TOO_SHORT

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded two books from Google Play Books.  I cannot transfer them to my Nook.

When I try to open the ASCM file in Adobe Digital Editions, it says:

Unable to download

Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem:

E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TOO_SHORT:

Thanks for messing up my evening, whoever is responsible for this.

I even downloaded Adobe Digital Editions for my Android, my Desktop and Android are both authorized using the same Apple ID, the new 'How to get started' ebook from downloading the app appeared in both my Desktop library and my Android library, but the ebooks that are on the desktop library have not appeared on the Android.  I definitely have the authorization correct, but it's not working both-ways.

There also doesn't seem to be any way to open the ebook I purchased from the Google Play Store within the Adobe Digital Editions android app.  So, for my needs, the app is totally useless (no books from my library, and no books from my device).  I just don't get it, what's the app for?  So even if I did get the synchronization to work both ways, I still will not be able to achieve my goal of purchasing an ebook from Google Play Books and reading it on a device with a decent battery life.

--

Necessary rant: Yep, so, Google should stop using Adobe for DRM and roll their own, it would be a lot better.  I probably would be able to manage my library online and not with some 32-bit Windows application when I'm a Linux user.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

The EPUBs on the server of your deliverer are currupt. Has you download the files a twiche? If this not work should contact the reselller of the file (Google) and ask if can check his links for the eBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EPUBs on the server of your deliverer are currupt. Has you download the files a twiche? If this not work should contact the reselller of the file (Google) and ask if can check his links for the eBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nanaky,

I downloaded the ACSM file several times

I read the file, it's not corrupt in the transport sense, but it is possibly using an out of date format...  I purchased the same book from Kobo instead, and their ACSM file was nearly twice the size, it contained a few extra fields.  Kobo's ACSM file worked.

... hehe, but I still don't like Adobe Digital Editions, as a hoop, for the user to jump through.  I don't understand why it's a desktop download, and there's no online offering, I mean, the generated epub is still locked to my authorised devices, unless I'm misunderstanding how everything is related.  <- and/or Linux support, too.      ADE is the sole item of software I use my Windows XP partition for (I moved to Linux when XP went out of support).

The mobile app still doesn't have any of my titles, and there's no way to add or open titles in it, so that wasn't anything worth keeping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you ask the reseller for the eBook to check the download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned this to Google when I requested a refund.  I'm not sure they did anything to fix it, they just issued the refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

o.O crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just had the same problem with ebooks from epagine.  The links were corrupt and they have sent me new links.

Clearly better service than Google !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After exhaustively searching the net for a solution to this problem and trying all kinds of things with ADE on my pc (re-authorizing, re-installing, reg edit, etc.) I eventually tried something else altogether - I installed ADE for android on my crappy phone (I'm surprised it even had the space for this app), then I went to https://play.google.com/books with my android google chrome browser, which shows my books (even the mobile chrome app can't  really read the book online - it occasionally works momentarily and then has a loading error again shortly thereafter). Any way, if you click on the book options there, in the My Books list, and click, get the acsm file for the epub, you can open it, directly from chrome, as soon as the download is complete, which then opens ADE for Android - that successfully does the whole "fulfilling and downloading of the epub" thing.

Of course, I wanted this epub on my pc, in the first place, as my gf and I prefer reading on our eReaders, so I simply re-authorized my ADE for the umpteenth time, closed it, hooked my phone up to the pc, went to the Digital Editions folder, in my on-board memory, and copied the epub file as well as the acsm file (though I'm not sure weather the latter is really necessary) - I also went into the subfolders and copied the thumbnail, the manifest for the book (labeled as <bookname>.epub.xml) - I copied ALL of these to the relevent folders of my PC's "My Digital Editions" folders and sub-folders, as well as copying the "purchased.xml" file from my Tags folder (again this purchased file copy may possibly be unnecesary), then I restarted ADE and voilà, the book is now in my library.
I also did it with a second book, so I know it wasn't just a fluke. (The first time around ADE wasn't authorized yet and demanded to be authorized before it could open the book)

The problem is with the PC version of ADE - it isn't that Google Play's books are corrupt. Google and Adobe need to fix that problem, together.
I've tried reading the books online and that was a horrible experience - won't open at all on most browsers and on the only one where it WILL open (Chrome for android) it keep crashing with a "loading error."

I was on the verge of requesting a refund, too, except my gf really wanted this book and I couldn't find it anywhere else that was accessible from South Africa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedarkxn​ omg, yours was the only solution that worked for me, thank you for describing the whole process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please note: ADE 4 is almost certainly scraping your data and transmitting it, unencrypted, over the internet: https://the-digital-reader.com/adobe-responds-reports-spying-half-truths-misleading-statements/#.VDR... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines