Highlighted

e-book authentication (e.g. using Shibboleth)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get e-books via my university library. To use them at home, I have to use Shibboleth authentication (which has largely taken over from Athens for the UK university federation, but I know there are numerous similar schemes around the world). Most of our e-books are only borrowable for 24 hours, but I can't finish reading (and taking notes) on a complete book in a single day. To renew them, I have to go back to my university library website, log-in again, open the book online (I can't "borrow" them until I've done this), and download the acsm file again. When Adobe Digital Editions Opens it tells me that the book (i.e. the one I borrowed yesterday) cannot be found and offers to delete it from my library. It then downloads the same title and treats it as a new book, and doesn't remember where I was up to.

Is there anyway to "renew" a loan from within ADE? (I'm running the most recent Windows version)? Or, if not, does anyone know whether there is any way to reqest a feature from Adobe?

Many thanks, Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

e-book authentication (e.g. using Shibboleth)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get e-books via my university library. To use them at home, I have to use Shibboleth authentication (which has largely taken over from Athens for the UK university federation, but I know there are numerous similar schemes around the world). Most of our e-books are only borrowable for 24 hours, but I can't finish reading (and taking notes) on a complete book in a single day. To renew them, I have to go back to my university library website, log-in again, open the book online (I can't "borrow" them until I've done this), and download the acsm file again. When Adobe Digital Editions Opens it tells me that the book (i.e. the one I borrowed yesterday) cannot be found and offers to delete it from my library. It then downloads the same title and treats it as a new book, and doesn't remember where I was up to.

Is there anyway to "renew" a loan from within ADE? (I'm running the most recent Windows version)? Or, if not, does anyone know whether there is any way to reqest a feature from Adobe?

Many thanks, Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2018 1

Have something to add?