• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eReader not authorized to open this book

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I download a book from my public library I can open it in digital editions 4.5 but when I transfer it to my device (kobo) and try to open it on the kobo it says "This book is protected by DRM. Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to re-import the book using Adobe Digital Editions." I tried erasing authorization and setting git up again but it still won't work. Erased and downloaded a new edition of ADE, that didn't work either. Tried different books and libraries but still have problem. Called kobo and after troubleshooting with them they say it as ADE problem. Please please please help! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

This thread is old but incase anyone is suffering from the same problem here in January 2023. I have finally figured out a hack to get my Kobo to work.

For the record, I have tried everything: De/Re Authorizing, deleting books, overdrive account vs adobe account, etc. I couldn't use ADE V3 as my Mac is running 64 bit and it's not supported. I thought I was hooped until I came across this in my hours of searching:

1. Download another random book. One you HAVE NOT had on hold (this is important becau

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 324 Replies 324
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem with no borrowed books remaining on my ereader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem for ages. Last year I just gave up and started reading the ebooks on my phone, but that's not great in sunlight, so I thought I'd try to fix it again.

All I did this time was sign out of the Overdrive account and sign back in using my email address and password rather than my library card. I've successfully transferred five books to my e-reader, so fingers crossed I've cracked it (for now at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent several hours trying to dowload an e-pub file and the open it on my Kobo Touch...If only Kobo or Abode had said "Your touch can only open ADE 3.0....WTF!  Needless to say. ADE 3.0 is now installed, with shortcut renamed to "KOBO downloads"   DUH!  smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having good luck with ADE 3.01 for awhile and now my computer won't open it?  It says it's not compatible with Windows 10...which I have been on for a long time so the message is kind of weird?  Anyways, today after trying 3.01 and 4.5 a few times, I went back to 2.0 and it worked!  This is the first time in months, that I have been able to transfer an e-book from the library.  Hoping it will last a while.  Wish me luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never used and do not know anything about ADE 3.01.
I've always used ADE 3.0 (including last week) with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 3.0.1 is 3.0. I have tried a few times from 3rd party sources just in case the Adobe link was broken. A few of the 3rd paries have extended it to 3.0.1. I am not very computer literate so not sure why. I was using 3.0 directly from Adobe for years and it stopped working for me about 6 months ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main point is you found a method that works for you. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...writing this in end of november 2020...having the exact same problem and struggling same as all of you ...seems nothing has been done from Kobo nor ADE to fix this since 2017....dissapointing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had success by going back to Adobe 2.0. I unauthorized my ereader and computer first. Then deleted every file that appeared to be a direct link to the Adobe program. Then downloaded Adobe 2.0 and started again. It's worked fine now for several months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe does not automatically update your 2.0 to the latest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I've bounced back and forth between 2.0, 3.0 and 4.5 several times now. It always stays with what I have downloaded until I download a different version. Sometimes it's hard to find the old version but it's always there somewhere under an "other or older" versions lnk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll have to figure out how to prevent automatic updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Denis Lefebvre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone comes here with this problem, here is the fix and it worked for me(found in another thread):

Please note that you DO NOT have to downgrade ADE to get kobo to work again. But you need try with a NEW book from overdrive(Not the old book you have beeeen trying)

1. Delete the problem book(s) from your ereader.
  2. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Check to see if you can read the problem book(s) in ADE. Connect your e-reader.  Erase authorization on ADE (Go to the Help Menu at the top). Erase the authorization for the ereader (go to the side menu of ADE). Keep the e-reader connected to the computer.
  3. Go to your public library website and get a NEW book. Upload the new book to ADE. Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. If it doesn't, go back to "help" at the top and reauthorize ADE. Go to the side menu of ADE to re-authorize your ereader.
  4. Drag the new book into your e-reader. Select "ereader" (ie: NOT all items, or borrowed items, or...). Try opening the book in the ereader area. If it opens there, it's likely that it will open in your e-reader.
  5. Re-upload what were the problem book(s) to your e-reader. Again, select "ereader" in ADE and check that the book(s) can be read there.
  6. Disconnect your e-reader from the computer. Be able to read your book(s) at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where you thought I was trying with an old book. I am downloading
"new" books (new to me) from my local public library and then transferring
them to my Kobo reader. Always worked fine. Then ADE 4.5 was introduced and
I could no longer transfer to my Kobo.

So now I use ADE 3.0 and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good if The old version works for you. I couldn't install v3 since it was complaining missing dependent . Net framework older versions. The problem with 4.5 is with corrupted authorization. If you ever failed to load a book,  none of the new books works after that. So The workaround for me was to remove all non working books and get the authorization working with a totally new book..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Windows 10 notebook refuses to install ADE 3.0, so this solution doesn't work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't work for me. What does SOMETIMES work is to click "Sync" on my Kobo after I've transferred the book via ADE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to download at the same time a pdf book and a epub book.  For me it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same problem with the ADE-4.5 in my Macbook. (ADE-3.0 is the solution. But ADE-3.0 won't run in the latest MacOS.)

These steps resolved my issue.

1. Removed the ebook from the Kobo library with ADE-4.5

2. De-authorized my Kobo

3. Installed and opened ADE-3.0 in Windows 10

4. Authorized computer

5. Added acsm file to the ADE-3.0 libray.

6. Connected Kobo to Windows
7. Authorized Kobo from ADE-.3.0

8. Copied the book to Kobo

9. Ejected Kobo

Was able to open the book in Kobo without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of weeks ago I tried with ADE 4.5 and it worked for my Kobo. So
they must have resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of a sudden my Kobo authorized and I was able to download a few
books from Adobe Digital Editions 4.5. But today it stopped working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11 and saw through many forums that Adobe 3.0 would still work. I found an Adobe 3.0 download that worked. I was able to download it from this site: https://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html but wasn't able to do it on google chrome and had to use microsoft edge. Once the 3.0 was installed I was able to transfer my books from the computer to my kobo without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried downloading Adobe 3.0 but that was from chrome and it didn't
work. I'll download it from Microsoft Edge and see if that works. I now
have to download my library books on Edge because Chrome no longer gives me
the a downloaded file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time (Dec 2020) I tried ADE 4.5, it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines