• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error getting license. license server communication problem: e_adept_document_type_unknown

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began this day with ADE 17.2 and tried every proffered solution to no avail. The last suggestion was to update to ADE 3.0.

The exact error message is:

Unable to download. error getting license. license server communication problem: e_adept_document_type_unknown

I have tried completely disabling the firewall (domain, public, private) and the problem persists. I have tried running ADE as system admin with same results.

I've read all the posts on this forum and it appears no one has found a solution.

Please note: I do not have a proxy, currently all firewalls disabled, no anti-virus software used.

Windows 7 SP 1 32 bit home premium

Firefox 27.0.1

Shockwave flash 12.0.0.70

Network connection is wifi home network

Content to be downloaded is PDF from Google Play Books

Is there anyone who can offer a solution ....

UPDATE:

My husband figured out how to disable the firewall on the router and we tested again (and simultaneiously with software firewall disabled). Still didn't work.

I also created a Firewall Rule specifically for this application:

GENERAL

Name: Adobe Digital Editions 3.0

Enabled

Action: Allow the connection

PROGRAMS AND SERVICES

This program: [local path to]\DigitalEditions.exe

Services: apply to all programs and services

COMPUTERS

[nothing selected]

PROTOCOLS AND PORTS

Protocol type: any

local port: all

remote port: all

ICMP: [default]

SCOPE

local IP: any

remote IP: any

ADVANCED

Profiles: domain, public, private

interface types: [default]

Edge traversal: defer to application

USERS

[defaults]

Authorized: [nothing entered]

Exceptions: [nothing entered]

UPDATE:

I was reading other posts on similar topics and one of the suggestions was to try OverDrive. Since I already have it, I tried it and received the following error message:

The specified OverDrive media file "[local path]\AppData\Local\Temp\Seams-Unlikely-epub-2.acsm" is not valid. (The OverDrive media file root element is not valid.)

According to OverDrive's help forum that means the ACSM file can ONLY be downloaded with ADE!

http://help.overdrive.com/article/0644/What-to-do-if-you-get-an-ACSM-The-OverDrive-media-file-root-e...

UPDATE

Have learned we have a WNDR4500 router with built-in firewall which can not be disabled. On the NetGear forums, there was the uninformative suggestion to "use DMZ in the router settings" to disable the firewall. In looking at the settings for our firewall, the nearest screen I could find to resemble that suggestion contained the following:

[ ] Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection

[ ] Default DMZ Server [192.168.1.0]

[ ] Respond to Ping on Internet Port

Disable IGMP Proxying

MTU Size(in bytes) 1500 bytes

NAT Filtering secured [ ] open

[ ] Disable SIP ALG

I'm afraid this is beyond the scope of my understanding and have no idea what I should be doing here so have made no changes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

My husband found a phone number for Adobe technical support. After listening to the entire story of the problem and what I'd been able to do/not do, the technical support person informed me that Adobe DOES NOT provide PHONE or CHAT support for Adobe Digital Editions! The best I could accomplish was to have the nice young man write up an incident and he said he would assign it a high priority. The best he could do was to tell me someone would call me WHEN a solution was found. I interpreted this to mean I would hit the "circular file" and that would be the end of it.

For whatever it's worth, he said that the ADE had a large support staf which is currently working on this forum to resolve these problems. I pointed out to him there are approximately 50 reports of this problem and NO ONE from Adobe has addressed it as far back as 6 months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2014 May 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

It's now been almost 2 months and I've heard nothing from Adobe. In the meantime, I've erased my hard drive and reinstalled ADE on a clean machine. The problem continues.

Since my problem involves a purchased book (not a loaner) from Google Play Books, I contacted Google tonight and gave them the information.

The person who was on the phone was unable to assist me and has raised the problem to "tier 2" support (I didn't ask what this means exactly but would guess it means the next level up). I am told I will have some reply, via email, within 24 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I found out the problem for my case of this error, and it had nothing to do with Adobe's suggestions of timezone, date/time settings, etc. It was simply that the digital book I downloaded apparently had to be opened in Adobe Digital Editions within a certain amount of time -- otherwise the authorization check returned this error.

I simply re-downloaded the book (I was getting it from my local library) and it was fine.

So, thanks for nothing, Adobe, for having misleading error messages and terrible knowledge base articles about them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Editions Communications Error When Downloading PDF from Overdrive (and maybe elsewhere too):

If you get an “error getting license server communication problem” message in Adobe Digital Editions:

1.  Try downloading any of the PDF files from Adobe here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/eBook.html

2.  Now re-download the book from Overdrive

3.  Enjoy!!

I figured this out after many, many hours of frustration . .  hope it helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This worked! There are pages and pages on Google without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent hours trying to get a book on my nook tonight.  Finally I downloaded the newest version of ADE.  Then after I downloaded the book and it appeared in the lower left corner of my screen (as an .ascm), I clicked on the arrow and then clicked on always open this type of file.  I then downloaded the book again and it opened right up in my ADE.  It was an easy fix once I figured it out.  I went and tried a few more books and they all worked too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines