• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message "This book has been returned. Loan not on record".

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I borrowed a book from Overdrive which I can open on my computer, but when I transfer it to my nook and try to open I get the error message that the book has been returned. Loan not on record.

I have a Mac

I have uninstalled ADE multiple times an reinstalled including older versions of ADE

What should I do?

Thanks for the help

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My nook glo-lite and my Kobo worked fine  until about a month ago. Now they both give me the

"Book returned" message. With so many people reporting the same problem I would think

Adobe would find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxcatz,

Regarding your acsm file extension problem, if you look at the bottom of the search window, there should be a dropdown that allows your computer to look for the acsm file rather than the epub.  Overdrive sends the file as an acsm and then ADE changes it to an epub. Your computer searches for the epub by default, so try to change the search for the acsm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the search window that I should try this in? Maybe ADE is not doing the change and that's why we all can't read hold books on nook?

Wouldn't this be the answer to your not being able to download to 3.0, also?  My error msg indicated it's because of the acsm extension (this only happened to one book after changing back to 3.0, because I only had one book on hold ready for me to borrow; do not know if the same thing would have happened to a regularly borrowed book).  However, 4.5 indicated it should accept both ACSM, epub, and there was a couple others.

Just grabbing at straws, here .....

To: Sandra MacDonald <maxcatz@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:51 PM

Subject: Error message "This book has been returned. Loan not on record".

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionMaxcatz,Regarding your acsm file extension problem, if you look at the bottom of the search window, there should be a dropdown that allows your computer to look for the acsm file rather than the epub.  Overdrive sends the file as an acsm and then ADE changes it to an epub. Your computer searches for the epub by default, so try to change the search for the acsm. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732430#8732430 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8732430#8732430 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in Adobe Digital Editions, go up to File and Add to Library.  The box that comes up looks for the file on your computer.  At the bottom it says "show" and there is a dropdown box you can use to change from the epub search to an ascm.  Change that to acsm and look for the right file to import.  Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another thread called "oops, this document can't be read" started back in 2014

that deals with what appears to be the same problem just different message. Also, note

that I have the same problem on my Kobo as well as my Nook.

I'm looking forward to trying out poirog808's solution later tonight. Thank you for a ray of hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky,

Many, many people have described the same problem, whether it was with older versions of Digital Editions or the current one.  We cannot open or read the book on our Nooks that have been downloaded from the library on hold.  We can read them in Digital Editions on our computers, so we know we are authorized, and my Nook shows authorized as well.  Please help us find the answer as to why we get the error message that the "book has been returned.  Loan not on record".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, if my nook is plugged into computer with USB cord, I can also read it via "Devices NOOK" section in ADE, even though I cannot even open it directly on my nook, so even ADE thinks I have the book out on loan and it is residing on the actual device, even though the device disagrees.

The forum was the only way I found to get my question out there (and the good side of a bad situ is that it is a relief to find so many other with exact same issue - phew!).  I did not find a way to communicate directly with ADE people.  If anyone figures out how to do that, maybe they could forward to all of us with this problems and a bunch of nook users could send an email with problem to ADE at about the same time?

Regards,

To: Sandra MacDonald <maxcatz@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:37 PM

Subject: Error message "This book has been returned. Loan not on record".

created by poidog808 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionNanaky,Many, many people have described the same problem, whether it was with older versions of Digital Editions or the current one.  We cannot open or read the book on our Nooks that have been downloaded from the library on hold.  We can read them in Digital Editions on our computers, so we know we are authorized, and my Nook shows authorized as well.  Please help us find the answer as to why we get the error message that the "book has been returned.  Loan not on record". If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8731976#8731976 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8731976#8731976 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today, it has been going on for years and as far as I can see Adobe don't care.

I've raised several issues in the past and never seen a resolution when Adobe release their next update.

I know ADE is "free", but it doesn't inspire people to buy ebooks when there is a huge doubt that they will be able to read what they paid for.

Overdrive is not an acceptable alternative to me, I don't want to read books on a tablet which has a limited battery life.

Come on Adobe fix this issue, or give us a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed when using either Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 or 3.0 where you get the message Error "this book has been returned. Loan not on record" but you can open the book in ADE and you can open the book on the nook when plugged into the computer through ADE on the computer. 

I have tried the de-authorization trick and it hasn't worked.  This is a big issue as it eliminates the whole reason I have a nook.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it has not.  It is now 2020.  This has been an issue for FIVE YEARS and Adobe has not bothered to fix a MAJOR functionality issue.  What a joke of a company.

That said, the fix is here:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/digital-editions/this-book-has-been-returned-loan-not-on-record/td-p/...

1) deauthorize your computer (I couldn't figure out how to deauthorize in 3.0.  Because of course you can't)

2) delete ADE 4.x and reinstall 3.x

3) authorize your computer.

4) close ADE and reopen it

5) download the held book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines